Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First evidence of milk consumption in ancient dental plaque

C C Offline
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2...112414.php

RELEASE: Led by a University of Oklahoma professor, an international team of researchers has discovered the first evidence of milk consumption in the ancient dental calculus--a mineralized dental plaque--of humans in Europe and western Asia. The team found direct evidence of milk consumption preserved in human dental plaque from the Bronze Age to the present day.

"The study has far-reaching implications for understanding the relationship between human diet and evolution," said Christina Warinner, professor in the OU Department of Anthropology. "Dairy products are a very recent, post-Neolithic dietary innovation, and most of the world's population is unable to digest lactose, often developing the symptoms of lactose intolerance." Warinner led a group of researchers from the universities of York and Copenhagen, and the University College London.

Understanding how, where and when humans consumed milk products is a necessary link between human consumption and their livestock. The new research provides direct protein evidence that the milk of all three major dairy livestock--cattle, sheep and goats--has been consumed by human populations for at least 5,000 years. This corroborates previous evidence for milk fats identified on pottery and cooking utensils in early farming communities.

"The discovery of milk proteins in human dental calculus will allow scientists to unite these lines of evidence and compare the genetic traits and cultural behaviors of specific individuals who lived thousands of years ago," said Warinner.

- - - - - - -

A research article, "Direct evidence of milk consumption from ancient human dental calculus" has been published in Nature's Scientific Reports at http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/srep07104. The research was supported by the Swiss Foundation for Nutritional Research, the Zurich Maxi Foundation, the University of York's Centre for Chronic Diseases and Disorders (Wellcome Trust) and EUROTAST (EU Marie Curie).

For more information on this research, please contact Christina Warinner at christina.warinner@ou.edu or visit the OU Department of Anthropology website at http://LMAMR.org.
Magical Realist Offline
I was the first of the Dulce De Leches, number 1 they call me-- a new species of humans who thrive entirely on milk. At birth the doctor found my umbilical cord erroneously attached to my mother's mammary gland. It was all downhill from there. Screaming fits at 2 in the morning with panicked runs to the corner market. At the tender age of 13, I had my own right mammary gland swell up for an embarrassing amount of time. Then came the nightmares of crawling thru scorched deserts dying for a drop of the precious white elixer upon my parched tongue. Nowadays I get by on a gallon of milk every three days, living in constant dread that the cows will never come home. Living in constant fear that I will exceed the expiration date. I AM Dulce De Leche Number 1. Hear me roar: "Got milk?"

[Image: alien.jpg]
[Image: alien.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Higher mushroom consumption is associated with a lower risk of cancer C C 0 102 Apr 21, 2021 11:35 PM
Last Post: C C