Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Frisbee!

confused2 Offline
Confused2 makes a long, low throw towards the back of the forum. Flies like aliens in saucers fly when scanning for intelligent life.
stryder Offline
Welcome Confused2. There is intelligent life around here, it's just dependent on the time of day and if something catches peoples interest.

Incidentally a post like this causes a chain of event's, first the initial ~What's the history of a "Frisbee"?~ followed by a whistle-stop tour of the wiki page and then the eclectic triggering of a memory in regards to "The Hudsucker Proxy" (while indeed the film concentrated on "Hula-hoops", it's main proponent was circular designs meant... "you know... for kids!")

It's interesting that someone's usage of a Cake tin on a beach was enough to eventually branch into the business of Frisbee's. (It's a good job the Boomerang had already been invented, I doubt many would want to hear the tale of the dog toy made out of part of a toilet seat found washed up on a beach)
Secular Sanity Offline
Oh my god!  The ole shopkeeper.  It’s been awhile.  How’s the rats?  I think you’ll like it here.  I think that Stryder may be an Englishman, too.  Far from the stereotypical Essex man, though.  Remember that guy?

I’ve missed your little riddles and wit.  I’m still working on my barbs-->.  Remember our Friday night fights when orestis would get drunk? Last I heard, he was building a new house here in the states. BruceP hasn’t been around for a while.  I wonder if he’s still alive.  There's a few still hanging out at the joint. Boring as hell, though.

I was hoping RP would join but he’s too loyal for his own good.  I told James of RP’s loyalty and encouraged him to abandon that shi*hole.  Speaking of which, I was just telling Stryder about how the filter only protected the men.  My feedback consisted primarily of B and C words.  Do you remember that big dumb weirdo?  He taught me how to get past the filter and how to hide secret messages.  If you had highlighted the place, you would’ve seen some pretty interesting things.  

If my memory serves me right, I provided rule number one, and you, rule number two, but for the life of me, I couldn’t remember rule number three until just now.

Rule #1: Never underestimate your opponent.  
Rule #2: Always keep your powder dry.
Rule #3: Trust no one.

I’m glad you joined, C2. Let the games begin. Wink

Oh, BTW, that last little episode knocked my socks off. Damn it!  I loved that one.

No need here, though.  Stryder lets us run barefoot and buckwild.  Pretty scary, huh? Big Grin
Zinjanthropos Offline
Quote:I’ve missed your little riddles and wit. 

Quote:Flies like aliens in saucers fly

Am I being led to ponder whether the underlined is a noun or a verb?
confused2 Offline

Internet Frisbee could be the next big thing. Two teams A and B. A1 (the server) posts "throw to A2". If A2 gets the reply in first then team A gets a point. If B2 from team B then they get to serve. To compensate for line delays, stupidity and drunkenness the early point scorers are eliminated leaving A3,A4 and B3 B4. Something like that. If drawn against (say) Sciforums it's just a win because they'll be too snooty to play. Rules men. Let's work on 'em.

(Jan 24, 2017 09:01 PM)confused2 Wrote:
Internet Frisbee could be the next big thing. Two teams A and B. A1 (the server) posts "throw to A2". If A2 gets the reply in first then team A gets a point. If B2 from team B then they get to serve. To compensate for line delays, stupidity and drunkenness the early point scorers are eliminated leaving A3,A4 and B3 B4. Something like that. If drawn against (say) Sciforums it's just a win because they'll be too snooty to play. Rules men. Let's work on 'em.

Owing to a lack of understanding of everything I just edited out a long and meaningful reply leaving just the Frisbee bit. Never mind, I'll post it again later.
Secular Sanity Offline
Haha!  That was a bad throw, but I caught it.  Maybe you could nudge RP a little, eh?  He’d be more appreciated here.  Maybe we could get him to take us to lunch on May Day like he always promised.

BTW, that was a snooty little (--->) if I ever saw one.  The stuff that I talk about makes learning fun.  I’ve been goofing with philosophy a little, so what?  I can dust off my physics books, if you’d like.  

(Jan 24, 2017 07:45 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Flies like aliens in saucers fly
Quote:Am I being led to ponder whether the underlined is a noun or a verb?

Oh, speaking of rules, I would have said noun.  It’s funnier that way. Patterns men. Let’s work on 'em.
The Flies
Play by Jean-Paul Sartre

Summery:

Orestes has recognized his freedom: he does not have to follow the moral law because he can invent his own moral laws. Since Orestes does not act according to the fixed laws of nature or of the society of Argos, he has done evil. His free action is evil because it does not follow established laws. Freedom, then, is necessarily evil.

They're free; and human life begins on the far side of despair.

This is the sort of cheery pessimism that leads people to complain that existentialism is a philosophy of adolescent angst. In Act III, Orestes tells Jupiter that he will share his despair with the Argives because it will enable them to live their lives. The meaning of "despair" here is not self-explanatory. Following moral laws is comforting: one does not have to take responsibility for one's actions. So long as one's actions follow some law, the responsibility for those actions lies with the law, not the agent. The Argives, bound to Jupiter's moral law, never have to accept responsibility for their actions. Orestes, having recognized his freedom, understands that regardless of what moral standards may govern a society, every human being still has the freedom to follow those laws or to break them. The presence of moral laws is not an excuse for doing something, since the individual can always violate those laws.

The Argives act as if they have no choice but to follow these laws, in the same way that rocks and trees have no choice but to follow the laws of physics. But human beings can also recognize that it is they themselves who give the laws their strength and that they can change the laws by creating new ones. Human beings can realize that nothing forces them to follow moral laws; they are always free to create new laws. This recognition that one's life is not governed by certain laws and that one has the ability and responsibility to create one's own laws is what Sartre means by despair. The comfort of knowing that one is always doing what is right according to certain laws is swept away. Instead, one always feels the anguish of knowing that there is no overriding authority that can determine who is right and who is wrong: moral judgment comes from us. Once we experience despair, i.e., once we recognize that the laws we follow are not definite and fixed, we are free to shape our own lives and create our own values. True human life can only begin once we recognize our freedom.
confused2 Offline
[quote pid='9811' dateline='1485291588']
 True human life can only begin once we recognize our freedom.
[/quote]
I'm going to assume (for the sake of discussion) that this was written by someone (JP Sartre) inside a German prisoner of war camp. He didn't have the opportunity to blow all his money on booze and whores and then having to go back to his parents to say "I fouled up - can you lend me £500 to help me get going again?". The game (maybe) is to map a path through 'what is' and 'what might be changed' and ... I started to write other stuff (which you don't get to see) ...  and I'm stopping there.
Throws to SS.
Secular Sanity Offline
(Jan 25, 2017 12:30 AM)confused2 Wrote:
Quote:True human life can only begin once we recognize our freedom.

I'm going to assume (for the sake of discussion) that this was written by someone (JP Sartre) inside a German prisoner of war camp. He didn't have the opportunity to blow all his money on booze and whores and then having to go back to his parents to say "I fouled up - can you lend me £500 to help me get going again?"

No. Not exactly.  It’s sort of a way to rob Peter and Paul without having to hit up the parents. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts sort of thing.

confused2 Wrote:The game (maybe) is to map a path through 'what is' and 'what might be changed' and ... I started to write other stuff (which you don't get to see) ...  and I'm stopping there.
Throws to SS.

Hydrogen and oxygen create water with different properties, and you know me, words are like water, and I’m always thirsty.

You can think of it as energy transfer and energy transformation.  However, I’m not a computer, nor just words on a screen.  I’m a human with a brain, which is an altogether different type of mechanism.  It’s a little dot connecting device.  My Neurons aren’t responding to the amount of input.  They’re responding to the patterns.  These patterns are the criteria, but they’re not simply playing Frisbee.  A mental act itself can change the criteria and reorganize the noise in the system. They're not just triggering each other to fire, they’re also, resetting the criteria for firing.  Can you meet that criteria, C2?

So, then…to fly, I flip away backhanded.  A flat flip flies straight and a tilted flip curves. Ta-dah—an experiment!

Booze, whores, and now Pluto platters. You're always chasing things, aren’t you?  What about Miss Alice, let’s not forget about her.  Did you give her a key to your place?  What would Mrs. C2 do, if she found out, or Bob, what about Bob?  Have you seen how big Bob is? Mrs. C2 may be cold, but there are other ways of keeping her warm without all the ductwork.
Question:  While we’re flipping popcorn can lids, who’s eating the popcorn?

[Image: more-drama-plz-smiley-emoticon.png]
[Image: more-drama-plz-smiley-emoticon.png]

P.S.  I started to write other stuff, too, that you don't get to see.

Back atcha'
Secular Sanity Offline
(Jan 25, 2017 12:20 PM)RainbowUnicorn Wrote: handstand foot catch
pomel horse toe throw
mid range ascending and slow

[Image: %24_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F]
[Image: %24_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F]

Burn baby burn

Can you make the water a little more potable?
Reading the disc, I’d say it’s going to land right into a Nymph’s lap.
Oh, it’s a light-up flying disc disco! Cool, man! We can play in the dark.
Wow! There’s some potential here.
Noooo!  Damn it!  The Frisbee's on the roof. Uh-oh! Panic! At the disco.

*shrugs* We better wait for C2.  Maybe he has a ladder in his shop.