Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Great winterscapes

Magical Realist Offline
What do these paintings make you FEEL? What are the subtle tones of this feeling? Desolation? Coziness? Nostalgia? Wonderment?

[Image: o-PISCARRO-900.jpg?2]
[Image: o-PISCARRO-900.jpg?2]

[Image: 057.jpg]
[Image: 057.jpg]

[Image: Winter_wallpapers_Winter_in_the_village_012257_.jpg]
[Image: Winter_wallpapers_Winter_in_the_village_012257_.jpg]

[Image: the-road-in-front-of-saint-simeon-farm-in-winter.jpg]
[Image: the-road-in-front-of-saint-simeon-farm-in-winter.jpg]

[Image: channeling-van-gogh-tracy-winter.jpg]
[Image: channeling-van-gogh-tracy-winter.jpg]

[Image: A%20Winter%20Landscape%20with%20Figures%...Castle.jpg]
[Image: A%20Winter%20Landscape%20with%20Figures%...Castle.jpg]

[Image: image.php?type=P&id=18949]
[Image: image.php?type=P&id=18949]

C C Offline
(Nov 27, 2014 11:18 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: What do these paintings make you FEEL?

That an alien civilization once existed on Earth. A lost world lived vicariously through stories told by centenarians still alive during childhood, old B&W movies, faded letters / personal journals, antique Christmas cards and homespun pop-literature versions of Norman Rockwell. Both during and long before the time when demigods like Jimmy Stewart walked the snow-clad landscape.
Magical Realist Offline
(Nov 28, 2014 06:12 AM)C C Wrote:
(Nov 27, 2014 11:18 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: What do these paintings make you FEEL?
That an alien civilization once existed on Earth. A lost world lived vicariously through stories told by centenarians still alive during childhood, old B&W movies, faded letters / personal journals, antique Christmas cards and homespun pop-literature versions of Norman Rockwell. Both during and long before the time when demigods like Jimmy Stewart walked the snow-clad landscape.

These paintings remind me of places I only visit in my dreams. There's a sense of longing in them--of wanting to go into them and be part of them. It's this love for the imaginal space, something I became acutely aware of when I first read Lord of the Rings at 18, that haunts me in these landscapes. Like I lived another life and now only vaguely and subconsciously remember it thru them. Places in the heart more than in the eyes. Soulscapes jigsawed together from the pieces of past dreams, movies, books, and art.

[Image: p01nst77.jpg]
[Image: p01nst77.jpg]

[Image: effects-of-snow-camille-pissarro.jpg]
[Image: effects-of-snow-camille-pissarro.jpg]

[Image: Ivan-Aivazovsky-Art-Painting-Winter-Landscape.jpg]
[Image: Ivan-Aivazovsky-Art-Painting-Winter-Landscape.jpg]

[Image: Hendrick_Avercamp_Winter_Scene_on_a_Canal.jpg]
[Image: Hendrick_Avercamp_Winter_Scene_on_a_Canal.jpg]