Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hey, Timmy

C C Offline
Your avatar "Scivillage ... The Place To Be" must have somehow become the default one for the forum. I tried to upload a new avatar yesterday, but it was just at or slightly over the 25MB limit and accordingly rejected. I simply assumed the old avatar was still in effect afterwards but when returning with an optimized under-25MB version today I discovered that your avatar had bafflingly appeared in its place. Whether the result of a technical glitch, some otherwise hopefully benign hacker, or other cause --it's obviously still fitting that it should be the default avatar for the forum if such need be recruited by the software under the aforementioned circumstances... Smile
stryder Offline
It might actually be a fault with the software used. Hypothetically if a cache was created during the process of scaling an avatar and it wasn't flushed/destroyed correctly, when the cache gets used again it would still have the old data within it. (It's similar to the method of creating a buffer overflow).

I'll have to look into to it to see what can be found out, after all this might actually be something that has to be explained to those that make the software to patch in the future due to the potential problems caused by it.

Alternatively, it could be down to the cloudflare system that takes common things that don't chance too often and cache's them through extra servers. This can mean sometimes changes don't seem to occur immediately, as all the servers have to synchronise to any changes.

Edit:
I've also had a quick look and realised that the 25kb limit was pretty low, so I've bumped the size up to 150kb. For those with high speed connections this isn't particularly large (in fact it could be larger) however I remember trying to squeeze entire webpages (images, text and all) into about 50kb so as not to take too long on dialup's. So while you have 150Kb to play with you don't have to use all of it.... although I'm not stopping you trying.
C C Offline
(Nov 26, 2014 11:10 PM)stryder Wrote: It might actually be a fault with the software used. Hypothetically if a cache was created during the process of scaling an avatar and it wasn't flushed/destroyed correctly, when the cache gets used again it would still have the old data within it. (It's similar to the method of creating a buffer overflow).

Figured it was most likely a bug of some sort, but it seemed such an eerie coincidence that the avatar which the forum had cached was the one promoting it. LOL [...Twilight Zone theme...]

Quote:I've also had a quick look and realised that the 25kb limit was pretty low, so I've bumped the size up to 150kb. For those with high speed connections this isn't particularly large (in fact it could be larger) however I remember trying to squeeze entire webpages (images, text and all) into about 50kb so as not to take too long on dialup's. So while you have 150Kb to play with you don't have to use all of it.... although I'm not stopping you trying.

Very unlikely I'll ever surpass even 100KB; but it's fantastic to have the extra legroom from the standpoint of not having to be mindful beforehand of staying within a smaller limit. Thanks!

Surprised to recently learn that other people have dial-up. Just assumed I was the only nostalgic dinosaur tinkering around with it from time to time.
cluelusshusbund Offline
(Nov 26, 2014 09:13 PM)C C Wrote: I discovered that your avatar had bafflingly appeared in its place. Smile

Ha... that must have felt weird Huh

BTW---You'r Egg avitar wit the Cc stand is awsome Exclamation
C C Offline
(Nov 27, 2014 02:56 AM)cluelusshusbund Wrote:
(Nov 26, 2014 09:13 PM)C C Wrote: I discovered that your avatar had bafflingly appeared in its place. Smile
Ha... that must have felt weird Huh

BTW---You'r Egg avitar wit the Cc stand is awsome Exclamation

Thanks for settling that. In course of some second looks, I started to wonder if it more resembled a broken copyright symbol. :/