Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Communities: The English and their History

C C Offline
http://metapsychology.mentalhelp.net/poc...776&cn=139

EXCERPT: Robert Tombs massive volume is 1040 pages long; the unabridged audiobook is 43 hours. But it is possible to dip in and out of "The English and Their History" and take breaks between chapters. [...] "The English and their History" is an impressive and even though it is very long, it does not become boring. At this stage of world events, looking at history helps to see how we have survived so many changes and difficult times....
Ben the Donkey Offline
One thing I've always noticed about the English, historically speaking, is that over the last couple of thousand years, they've been through and survived everything other oppressed peoples complain about.
C C Offline
(Dec 22, 2016 03:57 PM)Ben the Donkey Wrote: One thing I've always noticed about the English, historically speaking, is that over the last couple of thousand years, they've been through and survived everything other oppressed peoples complain about.

Does raise the question of what the expiration date should be on cultural and ideological grudges. The Sunni–Shia schism and animosity, for example, would probably still be going strong a thousand years hence if not for technology radically changing something about the human condition eventually (extinction, if not cyborgs and hive-minds).

Just short of making them into holidays which venerate victimhood as a status symbol, the institutionalisation of both recent and dredged-up older eras and and assorted types of oppression provides intermittent to full-time job security generations to come for those in the clubhouse beating the drums and profiting from ancestral woes. But depending upon the region, it may take more decades than most just to get a clubhouse rolling. I suspect the survivors and descendants of the communist purge in Indonesia are still a touch afraid to fully come out of the woodwork with their grievances, even after some of the faded persecutors have started expressing tentative remorse in their old age.
Ben the Donkey Offline
You do have a knack for writing quite succinct summaries of what I might have tried to say if I had the energy... or ability. That's pretty much what I had in mind.

You know, when confronted with an Aboriginal going on about the Australian invasion 200 hundred years ago, and how they want their land back, I'm often tempted to agree - on the proviso they could set me up with a nice little plot in England that my ancestors probably had before those pesky Celts, Romans, Saxons, Jutes, Angles, Vikings, Normans (more or less the same mob I suppose), French, or wotnot stole it from them. I've so far managed to refrain from doing so, because I'm not a terribly good fighter.
We really need some sort of Statute of Limitations on this kind of thing.

I actually think that all of the violence and commotion is what makes English history so fascinating. They've probably been invaded, subjugated, and culturally dispossessed over the centuries as much as anyone, and yet no one seems to really take that into account.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article The English traitors fighting for Russia in Ukraine (Putin community) C C 2 49 Mar 27, 2024 01:55 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Article Will future colonists on Moon & Mars develop new accents? ("The Expanse" communities) C C 0 39 Feb 5, 2024 11:02 PM
Last Post: C C
  Why are cities such left-wing communities? C C 0 82 Oct 7, 2023 04:40 PM
  Article Woman talks about her childhood in 1800s Los Angelas (old-timey communities) C C 0 72 Jul 19, 2023 12:38 PM
  Indigenous, last of his tribe 'man of the hole' dies in Brazil (extinct communities) C C 1 107 Aug 30, 2022 08:07 PM
  Sri Lanka is in crisis — and so are its scientists (doomed communities) C C 0 71 Jul 18, 2022 06:41 PM
  Haunting images of 'zombie' shark & decaying aquarium animals (abandoned communities) C C 1 66 Mar 3, 2022 05:11 PM
  Military towns are the most racially integrated places in U.S. (military communities) C C 1 98 Feb 10, 2022 03:28 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Teaching tolerance in schools cannot avoid controversy (educational & UK communities) C C 6 206 Feb 8, 2022 09:26 PM
Last Post: confused2
  Indigenous communities are the best guardians of Latin America’s forests C C 1 112 Oct 1, 2021 03:51 PM