Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Psilocybin for cancer patients

Magical Realist Offline
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-new...ut-n690741

The "magic mushroom" drug psilocybin can help cancer patients relax and feel less distressed about their disease, two teams of doctors reported Thursday.

"The drug eased anxiety and depression in 80 percent of the patients who took it in the studies, and many described their one-time sessions as ranking among the most meaningful experiences of their lives.

While the drug is clearly not for everyone, it's worth testing under carefully controlled conditions in more patients, the researchers concluded.

"We found that a single dose of psilocybin immediately reduced symptoms of depression and anxiety in patients that had advanced cancer and life-threatening forms of cancer," Dr. Stephen Ross, director of addiction psychiatry at New York University's Langone Medical Center, told NBC News."
Syne Offline
Why do these people constantly waste money to study things that are completely obvious? Anyone who's taken a psychedelic could tell you what they probably spent tons of money to find out. Very much like the lab nerds who did a study to find out that fat girls have less sex. Here's an idea. Instead of using people as guinea pigs, why don't these academics get out into the world...try some drugs if they're that curious...meet a few women for once.
Magical Realist Offline
I think it's great to spend scientific time and money on researching ways to allieviate human suffering. But then that's just little old non-sociopathic me. What do I know? Question: do you actually believe it would pass the FDA, much less the Dept of Justice, if there were no official scientific studies to back up shrooms as a medication?
Syne Offline
(Dec 2, 2016 08:34 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: I think it's great to spend scientific time and money on researching ways to allieviate human suffering. But then that's just little old non-sociopathic me. What do I know? Question: do you actually believe it would pass the FDA if there were no official scientific studies to back it up?

I didn't see any mention of seeking FDA approval in that article. That would be another matter. Maybe they could help your suffering.
Magical Realist Offline
(Dec 2, 2016 09:07 PM)Syne Wrote:
(Dec 2, 2016 08:34 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: I think it's great to spend scientific time and money on researching ways to allieviate human suffering. But then that's just little old non-sociopathic me. What do I know? Question: do you actually believe it would pass the FDA if there were no official scientific studies to back it up?

I didn't see any mention of seeking FDA approval in that article. That would be another matter. Maybe they could help your suffering.

lol! How do think the FDA approves new medications? With a lottery draw?
Syne Offline
You do know that there is a shit ton of research only for research sake, right? Or do universities commonly bring drugs to market?
Magical Realist Offline
(Dec 2, 2016 09:38 PM)Syne Wrote: You do know that there is a shit ton of research only for research sake, right? Or do universities commonly bring drugs to market?

You do know scientists wouldn't test a new drug without the intent of getting it passed by the FDA for actual use? Or do you believe scientists regularly test drugs just for shits and giggles? Not everyone is a sociopath you know..
Syne Offline
(Dec 2, 2016 09:40 PM)Magical Realist Wrote:
(Dec 2, 2016 09:38 PM)Syne Wrote: You do know that there is a shit ton of research only for research sake, right? Or do universities commonly bring drugs to market?

You do know scientists wouldn't test a new drug without the intent of getting it passed by the FDA for actual use? Or do you believe scientists regularly test drugs just for shits and giggles? Not everyone is a sociopath you know..

Do universities commonly bring drugs to market?
Magical Realist Offline
(Dec 5, 2016 06:32 AM)Syne Wrote:

Yes. Any scientific study on a new drug helps bring it to market.
Syne Offline
(Dec 5, 2016 06:28 PM)Magical Realist Wrote:
(Dec 5, 2016 06:32 AM)Syne Wrote:

Yes. Any scientific study on a new drug helps bring it to market.

That wasn't the question, and you know it. You claimed the university wouldn't test without the intent to pass FDA. If that's true, where's the evidence that this study specifically satisfied a phase of FDA approval? I agree that ANY testing coincidentally helps bring a viable drug to the market, but that wasn't what you claimed. So you seem to have just moved the goalpost to avoid admitting your claim was wrong.

And you wonder why you have no credibility with anyone.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Dementia patients are “rallying” just before death. Scientists want to know why. C C 1 87 Apr 27, 2023 09:33 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Article Patients on aripiprazole: gambling addiction risks + Depressed, and aging fast C C 1 67 Mar 28, 2023 04:39 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Why Covid-19 patients are suffering from distorted & phantom smells C C 0 223 Sep 22, 2020 03:57 PM
Last Post: C C
  'Aura with migraine' patients have smaller brain structures than healthy subjects C C 3 356 Oct 16, 2019 12:49 AM
Last Post: confused2
  Dark chocolate for depression? + Psychedelic psilocybin microdoses in coffee proposed C C 0 184 Aug 2, 2019 04:41 PM
Last Post: C C
  New test can detect “hidden consciousness” in coma patients C C 5 459 Jul 2, 2019 11:35 PM
Last Post: confused2