Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Weird things I would never have believed

Magical Realist Offline
..unless I had seen them taught in a science book or a documentary.

If someone told me there's a bird called a parrot and it can talk, I wouldn't have believed them.

If someone told me that salmon swim upstream for miles and miles just to lay eggs and die, I wouldn't have believed them.

If someone told me catepillars turn into butterflies, I wouldn't have believed them.

If someone told me whales can sing to each other from miles away, I wouldn't have believed them.

If someone told me the faster you go, the slower time passes, I wouldn't have believed them.

If someone had told me that the ground I'm standing on is a ball of wet rock floating in a dark abyss scattered with lots of other rocks and lots of huge fireballs, I would never have believed them.

If someone had told me light was a particle and wave at the same time, I would never have believed them.

If someone had told me there's a beetle that can kill other insects by spraying boiling liquid on them, I wouldn't have believed them.

If someone had told me a mongoose could kill a king cobra, I wouldn't have believed them.

If someone had told me seawater can glow when it splashes, I wouldn't have believed them.

If someone had told me there are holes in space that suck matter and light into themselves, I wouldn't have believed them.

If someone had told me a lump of coal could turn into a diamond, I wouldn't believe them.

If someone had told me honeybees communicate the distance and direction of nectar thru a dance, I'd never believe them.

Any others?
RainbowUnicorn Offline
... to make an explosion big enough to wipe out an entire city of millions of people you need to break a tiny thing you cant see which you cant touch
Carol Offline
That is a great list of things that are hard to believe, and keeping them in mind gives a good perspective of possibilities and impossibilities.

However, this one just seems common sense to me, because it takes many raindrops to make a waving ocean.  Perhaps I am missing something?  

"If someone had told me light was a particle and wave at the same time, I would never have believed them".

If you wait long enough the diamond will deteriorate to graphite.  A diamond is energized carbon that is mathematically manifest and it will loose its energy if I understand the following correctly?   That is to say, matter is not the ultimate reality, and I think that is the issue that most debated.  Is matter the ultimate reality?   

Quote:http://sciencequestionswithsurprisingans...t-forever/
The only difference is the way the carbon atoms are arranged and bonded in the crystalline lattice. In diamond, each carbon atom is bonded to four neighboring carbon atoms in a closely-packed three-dimensional grid. In graphite, each carbon atom is strongly bonded to three neighboring carbon atoms in a plane and the planes of atoms are loosely bonded to each other. The degradation of diamond to graphite is a simple case of the atoms internally rearranging and relaxing to a lower energy state.

"If someone had told me honeybees communicate the distance and direction of nectar thru a dance, I'd never believe them".

Human also did this, and with this dance, cultural information as well could be communicated to following generations.
Magical Realist Offline
Quote:However, this one just seems common sense to me, because it takes many raindrops to make a waving ocean. Perhaps I am missing something?

It's not like many photons compose a wave. It's one photon also being a wave. That's the mystery. How can one particle also be a wave at the same time? And a wave of what?
Carol Offline
(Nov 28, 2016 07:56 PM)Magical Realist Wrote:
Quote:However, this one just seems common sense to me, because it takes many raindrops to make a waving ocean.  Perhaps I am missing something?

It's not like many photons compose a wave. It's one photon also being a wave. That's the mystery. How can one particle also be a wave at the same time. And a wave of what?

Exactly a wave of what?
Magical Realist Offline
(Nov 28, 2016 08:02 PM)Carol Wrote:
Quote:However, this one just seems common sense to me, because it takes many raindrops to make a waving ocean.  Perhaps I am missing something?

It's not like many photons compose a wave. It's one photon also being a wave. That's the mystery. How can one particle also be a wave at the same time. And a wave of what?

Exactly a wave of what?

That's another weird thing about light. It is a wave in mere space. There is no preexisting medium for it to be a wave of.
Carol Offline
(Nov 28, 2016 08:08 PM)Magical Realist Wrote:
(Nov 28, 2016 08:02 PM)Carol Wrote:

Exactly a wave of what?

That's another weird thing about light. It is a wave in mere space. There is no preexisting medium for it to be a wave of.

And we laugh at the people who worshiped the sun why?  Do you know if you filter out the green or red frequencies of the light that feeds plants they do not grow like healthy plants?  All the colors are needed to make plants grow like they should.   That totally mystifies me.
Zinjanthropos Offline
Weird that science is almost always wrong. Perhaps that could be read without the word 'almost', however I included it because I think there's an end to the pursuit of knowledge. Where and when that will be for every situation is anyone's guess. 

I guess I can say I trust science more than belief, although I realize I may have to believe something to be true to know the science. IMHO...Science isn't science unless it can be tested, and perhaps for me the main difference between the discipline and belief.
Carol Offline
Having reverence for the natural forces and/or God does not go against science. It only puts us in our place. Thinking because of we have science we are the greatest power and authority in the entire universe, is putting ourselves in the wrong place.

Also, thinking man can be the authority about God is a bit nuts. No one has ever directly experienced God, and even if he did, thinking he understands God is like me thinking if I had tea with Einstien I would understand quantum physics. Seriously we should not over exaggerate our ability to know God and understand the whole universe.

Knowing a lot of facts is not equal to being wise and knowledge without wisdom is a dangerous thing. Wisdom begins with "I don't know".

And this really sucks, but with money so tied into our science and medicine and also legal decisions, it seems foolish to have too much trust in anything we are told.
Magical Realist Offline
(Nov 29, 2016 06:09 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Weird that science is almost always wrong. Perhaps that could be read without the word 'almost', however I included it because I think there's an end to the pursuit of knowledge. Where and when that will be for every situation is anyone's guess. 

I guess I can say I trust science more than belief, although I realize I may have to believe something to be true to know the science. IMHO...Science isn't science unless it can be tested, and perhaps for me the main difference between the discipline and belief.

It's really hard NOT to be right when all you do is discover things about the universe. But then there are the theories of science, which have only evolved thru being wrong to some extent. Thank goodness for the talent of being slightly wrong. Else science would've ended long ago.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brain & universe more similar than once believed + Robot wolf shields town from bears C C 2 169 Nov 19, 2020 06:42 PM
Last Post: C C
  Weird things poltergeists do and noises they make Magical Realist 7 848 May 17, 2018 04:22 PM
Last Post: Ostronomos
  Weirder things I would never believed Magical Realist 54 6,489 Dec 8, 2016 02:33 AM
Last Post: Syne