Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Things That May Never be Invented

Zinjanthropos Offline
I've used a similar thread on other forums but the word 'may' was replaced by the word 'will'. I've soften my stance on some things because at the rate technology is moving anything might be possible. Smile  Surely there are things people want invented, it's just that the technology isn't or may never be there.

I used to think that mind reading machines could only exist in someone's imagination. However today I'm not so sure. Will they ever be able to figure that one out? See articles on the web indicating people are working on it. Are they crazy or is this genuine? Nothing surprises me when it comes to the inventiveness of mankind.

So, what do think may never be invented?
C C Offline
(Nov 16, 2016 05:08 AM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [...] I used to think that mind reading machines could only exist in someone's imagination. However today I'm not so sure. Will they ever be able to figure that one out? See articles on the web indicating people are working on it. Are they crazy or is this genuine?

Right now it seems largely in terms of "reading" mental images. Detecting and deciphering linguistic thoughts (subvocalizations or silent speech) might require detecting and deciphering very slight or heavily subdued movements transpiring in the larynx and other muscles. Should that be an easier approach than discriminating and interpreting the applicable scattered areas of brain activity.

Michio Kaku: At this point, the patient is then shown another movie trailer while a computer analyzes the voxels generated during the viewing and re-creates a rough approximation of the original image. (The computer selects images from 100 movie clips that most closely resemble the one that the subject just saw and then merges images to create a close approximation.) In this way, the computer is able to create a fuzzy video of the visual imagery going through your mind. Dr. Gallant’s mathematical formula is so versatile that it can take a collection of MRI voxels and convert it into a picture, or it can do the reverse, taking a picture and then converting it to MRI voxels. --How Scientists Are Learning to Read Our Minds

What's a Voxel and What Can It Tell Us?
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/obs...r-on-fmri/

Quote:So, what do think may never be invented?

The machinery for Frank Tipler's fanciful "Omega Point" resurrection of dead people (the information structure for their bodies and memories anyway) via running simulations of all possible versions of humans and their individual lives just before the universe completes its Big Crunch. Last time I bothered to check, this probably isn't a cosmos destined for a BC (though the way cosmologists flip-flop on their extrapolations over the decades, who knows....). Plus, we would really expect the antecedent-to-that-event von Neumann machines and the picotechnological entities of that incredibly distant era to still remember or care less about the first era of intelligent life forms? Nah...
Zinjanthropos Offline
How about an anti-gravity device? Was reading some stuff about some guy named Heim from the 50's. I usually don't put much faith in theory more than 5 years old but some do pass the test of time. Whether that means they're still recognize, proven somewhat or cannot be refuted, or cannot be tested I can't say. 

I couldn't find an article on Heim that wasn't overly technical. It was too mind boggling for my feeble brain. Yet it appears to involve electro magnetism to counter the affects of gravity and space time but in a 6 dimensional setting. The thought was to use the technology to develop a propulsion system or FTL travel, yet somehow a spaceship would be able to get from one place in the universe to another in an incredibly short time.

Not sure if this is an urban legend but I have often heard that the U.S. military is 10 years ahead of everyone else, so not seeing anything developed commercially I would say the wait is still on for anti gravity devices and light speed propulsion systems. Maybe they need to know if it can kill people first, I dunno. Undecided
Zinjanthropos Offline
Maybe someday they'll invent and launch into space a UFO tracking satellite. This device should be able to zero in on anything zipping around the atmosphere or regions of space surrounding our planet that isn't of man's doing. Trouble is that it would be cost prohibitive and never see the light of day, unless those armchair UFOlogists buck up and fund the thing. Then again, maybe there are government conspiracies afoot and it's already being done.

Anyway, while I was scouring Google to see if this hasn't been tried I came across an article about the Dark Knight satellite. I wonder MR. if you had ever heard of this? Seems we've been tracked for quite some time now, at least some people think so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Knight_satellite
Magical Realist Offline
(Dec 1, 2016 04:13 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Maybe someday they'll invent and launch into space a UFO tracking satellite. This device should be able to zero in on anything zipping around the atmosphere or regions of space surrounding our planet that isn't of man's doing. Trouble is that it would be cost prohibitive and never see the light of day, unless those armchair UFOlogists buck up and fund the thing. Then again, maybe there are government conspiracies afoot and it's already being done.

Anyway, while I was scouring Google to see if this hasn't been tried I came across an article about the Dark Knight satellite. I wonder MR. if you had ever heard of this? Seems we've been tracked for quite some time now, at least some people think so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Knight_satellite

"According to senior education support officer Martina Redpath of Armagh Planetarium in Northern Ireland:

"Black Knight is a jumble of completely unrelated stories; reports of unusual science observations, authors promoting fringe ideas, classified spy satellites and people over-interpreting photos. These ingredients have been chopped up, stirred together and stewed on the internet to one rambling and inconsistent dollop of myth."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Myth? Vibrator invented to treat female patients suffering from hysteria C C 0 374 Nov 8, 2018 02:30 AM
Last Post: C C
  Scientists just accidentally invented an entirely new kind of sex toy for women C C 9 2,061 Aug 2, 2017 01:18 AM
Last Post: Secular Sanity