Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Weird fortean shit

Magical Realist Offline
This thread is devoted to accounts of very weird occurrences that nobody can explain. It makes the case that reality is far more bizarre than we know:

"An irregular shaped hole, about 10ft by 7ft with 2ft vertical sides, was found on a remote farm near Grand Coulee, Washington State, in October 1984. It had not been there a month earlier. ‘Dribblings’ of earth and stones led to a three-ton grass-covered earth divot 75 ft away. It was almost as if the divot had been removed with a gigantic cookie cutter, except that roots dangled intact from the vertical side of both hold and slab. There were no clues such as vehicle tracks and an earthquake was thought very unlikely."---http://listverse.com/2007/07/06/top-15-b...e-stories/

"In April 1997, a turkey hunter in Yellowwood State Forest, Indiana, came upon a huge sandstone boulder wedged between three branches of an oak tree about 35 feet from the ground. The arrow shaped rock was estimated to weight 500lb. Subsequently, four more large boulders were found wedged high up in trees elsewhere in the forest. All were in remote areas. None of the trees were damaged and there were no signs of heavy equipment begin used or of tornado damage and no one recalled any mishaps involving dynamite anywhere nearby."---
http://listverse.com/2007/07/06/top-15-b...e-stories/

"A Hazard unique to Venezuelan highways is a slippery goo called La Mancha Negra (the black stain), although it is more of a sludge with the consistency of chewing gum. Although the government has spent millions of dollars in research, no one knows what the goo is and where it comes from, or how to get rid of it. It first appeared in 1987 on the road from Caracas to the airport, covering 50 yards, and spread inexorably every year. By 1992 it was a major road hazard all around the capital and it was claimed 1,800 motorists had died after losing control. The problem remains to this day."---http://listverse.com/2007/07/06/top-15-b...e-stories/

"On New Year's Day 1984, a dud, 9in, 22lb, Second World War shell crashed from a sunny sky into a backyard in Lakewood, 20 miles southwest of Los Angeles, leaving a 4ft crater. Neighbours had heard a whistling sound but had seen and heard no plane. This fall echoed a similar event in Naples, Italy, on 7 February 1958, when an artillery shell, dated 1942, with a cross and eagle design, fell from the sky."----http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entert...34528.html

" One blustery night in 1917, Ester Hallio and another Finnish student, alone in a house in Helsinki, heard a clicking noise, and found two large overcoat buttons on the parquet floor. These were followed by falling coins every few minutes. Neighbours were brought in to witness further falls. These included Professor Arvi Grotenfeldt, a member of the Society of Sciences, who compiled a report of the incident. More than 10 marks was collected. Other unexplained falls of metallic objects have been reported at: Wellington, New Zealand, in March 1963 (pennies and stones bombarded a lodging house - ultimately watched by 600 people - for three days); Ramsgate, Kent, in 1968 (40 to 50 pennies in 15 minutes); and Galax, Virginia on 12 to 14 July 1978 (400 nails in three days)."---http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entert...34528.html

"In September 1985, the Chinese press reported a discovery on a strip of land, 1km by 15 metres, in Huanre county, Liaoning province. In winter, when the temperature drops to -30C, the strip remained at 17C; in summer, the strip froze to a depth of one metre. The locals used it as a fridge in summer and for growing vegetables in winter."---http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entert...34528.html
C C Offline
(Oct 12, 2016 06:59 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: [...] "On New Year's Day 1984, a dud, 9in, 22lb, Second World War shell crashed from a sunny sky into a backyard in Lakewood, 20 miles southwest of Los Angeles, leaving a 4ft crater. Neighbours had heard a whistling sound but had seen and heard no plane. http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entert...34528.html [...]

Authorities believed it was a prank facilitated by aircraft. But given that the dud still left a sizable crater and could have injured or killed people, the jokester(s) would have had to be of the malevolent, Batman villain caliber.

If it was a genuine WWII era military ordinance rather than an imitation, one would think its limited number of possible museum-like origins would have allowed it to be tracked to which source it was appropriated from.

But the Great Los Angeles Air Raid of 1942 involved 1,400 anti-aircraft shells being fired at a potentially imaginary enemy. Some of the fragments damaged buildings and vehicles. Maybe an intact shell was discovered decades later by the irresponsible party.

Of course, in the notorious district of Rod Serling the shell would have time-traveled from the February 1942 incident that had sirens sounding all over Los Angeles County.
Syne Offline
What? No citations of specific sources? Not even any pictures?

It's truly bizarre that nobody can account for the weird occurrences...

...that people make up.
Secular Sanity Offline
This isn’t that strange but I can’t figure it out.

Last night I was looking to see if I could add an electrical outlet.  I accidentally sparked the wires and tripped my circuit breaker.  I capped them off and flipped the switch back on.  It’s on the same circuit as my whole home audio system.  I installed this whole house audio system years ago.    If you’re listening to music, the doorbell connection overrides any sound source.  I went to bed and six hours later my doorbell started continually ringing.  I was getting ready to disconnect it when it suddenly stopped.  I could see this happening when I turned the breaker back on, but I can’t figure out why it would have happened six hours later, in the middle of the night, or why it just suddenly stopped after ringing for ten minutes straight.
Magical Realist Offline
(Oct 13, 2016 03:02 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: This isn’t that strange but I can’t figure it out.

Last night I was looking to see if I could add an electrical outlet.  I accidentally sparked the wires and tripped my circuit breaker.  I capped them off and flipped the switch back on.  It’s on the same circuit as my whole home audio system.  I installed this whole house audio system years ago.    If you’re listening to music, the doorbell connection overrides any sound source.  I went to bed and six hours later my doorbell started continually ringing.  I was getting ready to disconnect it when it suddenly stopped.  I could see this happening when I turned the breaker back on, but I can’t figure out why it would have happened six hours later, in the middle of the night, or why it just suddenly stopped after ringing for ten minutes straight.

I had a motion detector light in my kitchen go off about 6 times the other night over about 15 minutes. Then it stopped and hasn't done it again. There are mysteries of electron flow that we are not privy to in this life.I was an electronics technician in the Navy. Some things just don't make sense sometimes, particularly when they happen at 1 AM.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Oct 13, 2016 03:02 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: This isn’t that strange but I can’t figure it out.

Not an electrician but during the night I would suspect copper wiring cools and becomes less resistant to electron flow. Allowed just enough for doorbell to ring for 10 minutes until that heated up enough to become more resistant and stopped ringing. Hell I don't know but you might want to get your house wiring checked. Next thing you know, there'll be a ghost hanging around, they love that kind of crap, if only for some personal notoriety.

True story...... In Herkamajirk (not using real name out of respect for townspeople), California, Joseph Wiggins claimed to have invented an anti gravity device. Laughed at, ridiculed by local media and the science community, he declared that on March 26 2011 he would give a full demonstration at the town square. The demo would have him wearing the device on his belt and that he would hover above the ground to prove his point. Well at the prescribed time, there was no Joseph to be found. After a few hours and no contact, police were finally sent to his residence. Authorities never found Joe but they did find a gaping hole in the roof of his home. Joe was never seen again. Just a note, air traffic controllers reported a possible missile launch to nearby armed forces airbase a half hour before demonstration was to take place. Fighter jets were dispatched but nothing out of the ordinary was spotted or heard.

True story..... during the last Apollo moon landing, commander Eugene Cernan unwittingly discovered an immense underground cavern during one of his lunar excursions. Upon entering, the entire bunker area became illuminated and several pieces of machinery were seen to be apparently powering up. Most noticeable was a large screen. Next he heard in perfect English, instructions on how to operate what he described as a visual history book of the Earth, any time any place. Knowing he didn't have a lot of time he decided to follow through and check on his number one gal during a time when he suspected her of cheating on him. What he saw, only he really knows but it is strange that when one has an opportunity of a lifetime there's no knowing of what happens next. Only NASA, the U.S. gov't, Cernan and the cleaning lady who discovered a shredded document thrown out in the trash knew of this. The cleaning lady died suddenly in a vehicle accident shortly after her find. The truth be known, a member of the woman's family leaked this information to a friend and was subsequently never heard from again. The friend is rumored to have become Donald Trump's security chief. Believe it or not.
C C Offline
(Oct 13, 2016 03:02 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: This isn’t that strange but I can’t figure it out.

A doorbell system dependent upon a microprocessor might be vulnerable to all kinds of prolonged quirks after it resets itself to factory adjustments, due to power loss. (Lord knows, it might even have a deliberate default to give itself a rigorous test after six hours if the owner doesn't provide preference input on its options, though that seems a bit crazy.) Toss that brand of oddities out the window if it dates back decades, though.

Not applicable in this case for a variety of reasons (regular home, at night, maybe fully electronic apparatus, etc). But back in the stone age of doorbells and trailer parks the mechanical contact component in the external button could expand during the summer via the metal siding on some mobile homes promoting overheating of it. At the hottest part of a day an un-shaded doorbell button would cause the system to start ringing continuously.
C C Offline
(Oct 12, 2016 06:59 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: "In April 1997, a turkey hunter in Yellowwood State Forest, Indiana, came upon a huge sandstone boulder wedged between three branches of an oak tree about 35 feet from the ground. The arrow shaped rock was estimated to weight 500lb. Subsequently, four more large boulders were found wedged high up in trees elsewhere in the forest. All were in remote areas. None of the trees were damaged and there were no signs of heavy equipment begin used or of tornado damage and no one recalled any mishaps involving dynamite anywhere nearby."---

The tree that was sporting Gobbler's Rock fell down in 2006.

I'd like to have seen the ground below that the tree grew up from. According to one account this chestnut oak tree rose from high on a slope, overlooking a ravine below.

If there were any bouldery bluffs or outcroppings around it, then I don't completely buy the assessment that the tree could not have lifted the rock as it grew. This view assumes that it could only have been a thin and weak sapling back when it was close to the ground decades earlier.

But (depending) the tree could have initially been impeded from growing directly up by a tumbled boulder and a neighboring rocky formation. With its trunk and its branches hugging the ground for years as they angled around the boulder and other constrictions, they could have had the the time to develop thicker and stronger. Eventually lifting Gobbler's Rock enough that the trunk could finally develop with a normal, straight-upward progress. Although its top was still a diverged mess, with one of those "arboreal arms" and "hand of clutching branches" holding the boulder.
Magical Realist Offline
(Oct 13, 2016 10:19 PM)C C Wrote:
(Oct 12, 2016 06:59 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: "In April 1997, a turkey hunter in Yellowwood State Forest, Indiana, came upon a huge sandstone boulder wedged between three branches of an oak tree about 35 feet from the ground. The arrow shaped rock was estimated to weight 500lb. Subsequently, four more large boulders were found wedged high up in trees elsewhere in the forest. All were in remote areas. None of the trees were damaged and there were no signs of heavy equipment begin used or of tornado damage and no one recalled any mishaps involving dynamite anywhere nearby."---

The tree that was sporting Gobbler's Rock fell down in 2006.

I'd like to have seen the ground below that the tree grew up from. According to one account this chestnut oak tree rose from high on a slope, overlooking a ravine below.

If there were any bouldery bluffs or outcroppings around it, then I don't completely buy the assessment that the tree could not have lifted the rock as it grew. This view assumes that it could only have been a thin and weak sapling back when it was close to the ground decades earlier.

But (depending) the tree could have initially been impeded from growing directly up by a tumbled boulder and a neighboring rocky formation. With its trunk and its branches hugging the ground for years as they angled around the boulder and other constrictions, they could have had the the time to develop thicker and stronger. Eventually lifting Gobbler's Rock enough that the trunk could finally develop with a normal, straight-upward progress. Although its top was still a diverged mess, with one of those "arboreal arms" and "hand of clutching branches" holding the boulder.

Here's a pic of the rock. I have to say that the branches of the tree don't look like they grew around the rock. It looks just like it was it placed there after the tree was full grown.

[Image: img_3990_1.JPG]
[Image: img_3990_1.JPG]

Zinjanthropos Offline
Of the trillions upon trillions of trees that have grown throughout Earth's history, I see nothing unusual or weird about this event. An 800 lb Grizzly in the branches doesn't prevent a tree from growing. I have personally seen rocks in trees of Northern Ontario, where glacial erratics abound. I remember shaking and climbing trees to remove rocks when I was a kid. The example given is probably a rarer occurrence than trees carrying smaller rocks. What's more bizarre in my mind at least are large trees that seem to be growing out of solid rock, where there appears to be little soil if any.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does Fortean mean? Magical Realist 1 67 Jan 2, 2024 09:01 PM
Last Post: C C
  Fortean podcasts Magical Realist 0 208 Mar 19, 2018 07:06 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist