Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

monkeys and raccoons gaining similarities to people

elte Offline
http://newatlas.com/zoo-monkeys-human-gu...b-91806145
Quote:Turns out humans aren't the only ones who need more fiber. Researchers have found that monkeys in captivity lose so much of the diversity of their natural gut microbes, that the bacteria in their digestive tracts starts resembling those of modern, Western humans. And no, it's not because of antibiotics – it seems that in captivity, they don't get the diverse, plant-based diet they do in the wild.      

The first thing that occurred to me about the story is that in human captivity, monkeys are subject to human-acclimated microbes to a large degree.

Then it reminded me just how last night it occurred to me that the local raccoon or raccoons think(s) that I am one of them, probably because I have a habit of doing a lot of outside stuff after dark, once the hot, UV-emanating furnace in the sky goes down, unlike most everyone else in the area. I was working on the major project of removing the window AC unit, opening it up, and hosing it out, which it needs every year or two because of the clogging accumulation of slime, lint, and dust internally.

I was working on putting it back in the window afterwards, replacing insulating packing around it in the window, reusing store plastic bags for the purpose, when the raccoon climbed up the tree just a foot away from me and just stopped there a foot away.  I was startled by the rustle of leaves.  Unfortunately, it was heading up to the roof on branches that I had thought too thin to support the weight of a full-grown coon.  The good that came from it was I retrimmed the small shade trees shading the window and A/C unit.
C C Offline
Well over a decade ago it was discovered that the swine tapeworm of livestock actually came from us; and our ancestors in turn got the parasite from scavenging remains left by lions and other predators; with the latter infected by their African antelope prey.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Surprising similarities in stone tools of early humans and monkeys C C 0 62 Mar 12, 2023 09:07 AM
Last Post: C C
  Monkeys cooperate to rescue juvenile from boa constrictor (source of human sociality) C C 0 117 Oct 12, 2020 03:55 AM
  Capuchin monkeys’ stone-tool use has evolved over 3,000 years C C 0 321 Jun 25, 2019 06:16 PM
  Why We Gamble Like Monkeys C C 0 519 Feb 9, 2015 09:15 PM