Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

"Me Before You" controversy

Magical Realist Offline
I saw this film last weekend and must say it was very engaging as a love story but raised some ethical issues about disability and [SPOILER ALERT]----suicide. It occurred to me that presenting this as some sort of solution to being a quadraplegic does a huge disservice to real life disabled people who live their lives bravely and stoically in spite of their limitations. On the flipside, how far do we take "Death with Dignity"? Is not the choice to live or die a highly personal one, relative to one's own unique evaluation of their life and the limitations of what they can endure? Are we obligated to hang around in a sucky life for the people who love us and want us to stay alive as long as possible? It's an issue that needs to be discussed. As much as I agree with some of the below article's observations, I think it should start a conversation about the ethics of assisted suicide, a subject we have for too long ignored and suppressed in our society.
==================================================================
"In addition to being a potentially crappy film whose one good byproduct is this Jessie Ware song, Me Before You has also become a controversial movie among disabled people and advocates for people with disabilities.

Despite a trailer that looks awfully sappy and uninspiring, the movie brought in a better-than-expected $18.3 million over the weekend. Based on the book of the same name, it stars Emilia Clarke (Louisa) as a woman who cares for a rich family’s quadriplegic son Will, played by Sam Claflin.

The actor’s depiction of a disabled person doesn’t sit right with people who, playing off the idea of blackface, have cleverly/disturbingly accused him of “cripface” (a bad coining). Another point of protest is the film’s ending.

**SPOILER AHEAD, SO CHILL IF YOU READ FURTHER**

From The Hollywood Reporter:

Will has decided to seek assisted suicide and, despite the attempts of his mother and Louisa to dissuade him, remains resolute in his goal. The film ends with Louisa following Will’s last wishes for her, using the money he left her to travel and, as the movie’s tagline states, to “live boldly.” A small but vocal segment of the public are protesting the movie on Twitter with the hashtag #MeBeforeEuthanasia.
The issue, for the movie’s critics, is its implication that suicide is the ultimate solution for disabled people. Director Jenni Gold, who’s in a wheelchair due to muscular dystrophy, tells THR, “Why always show disability as the worst thing?” Actor Zack Weinstein, a quadriplegic due to a spinal cord injury, calls the plot “emotionally manipulative.”

“The message of this movie is that it’s better for this person to die in order to be of service to her than for him to live...That has its place, but it’s very difficult to watch the facts of my life being used as the vehicle for that,” he says, and points to the one-note depiction of disabled people in movies. “What rubs me the wrong way as an actor and as somebody with a disability living in the real world is not that this story is being told. It’s that so frequently this is the only story of disability that is told.”

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, the movie’s director Thea Sharrock described the ending (which stays true to the novel) as “brave” in response to critiques. “It’s interesting to me that the controversy has been much more than what JoJo ever got for the book. I guess that says a lot about movies and how out there they are in comparison to books,” she says. (Translation: blame the author). “There is something wonderful about knowing that the person next to you is also bawling their eyes out and you’re sharing that with them. I think that’s a hugely cathartic thing. That side of it, I’m really proud of.”====http://jezebel.com/me-before-you-critics...1780834587
C C Offline
(Jun 9, 2016 07:14 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: I saw this film last weekend and must say it was very engaging as a love story but raised some ethical issues about disability and [SPOILER ALERT]----suicide. It occurred to me that presenting this as some sort of solution to being a quadraplegic does a huge disservice to real life disabled people who live their lives bravely and stoically in spite of their limitations. On the flipside, how far do we take "Death with Dignity"? Is not the choice to live or die a highly personal one, relative to one's own unique evaluation of their life and the limitations of what they can endure? Are we obligated to hang around in a sucky life for the people who love us and want us to stay alive as long as possible? It's an issue that needs to be discussed. As much as I agree with some of the below article's observations, I think it should start a conversation about the ethics of assisted suicide, a subject we have for too long ignored and suppressed in our society.

Given the up and down feelings of being in a disabled state (especially in the beginning), and how depression can distort perception of reality towards the negative, I don't know how an individual in that fix could objectively assess their importance or lack of importance. Others need to be involved in the decision-making process, especially if the "suffering" revolves primarily around feeling useless rather than immense physical pain or disruptive psychological distress (of a different classification).

Excluding the most top-notch personal nightmares, anyone should try to hang around if they're legitimately and genuinely needed by family members, friends, associates, etc; or contributing to a community or workplace (Stephen Hawking raised that to a new scale). We shouldn't degrade how valuable simply being a companion or "company" to someone else can be. I've seen a whole and healthy person have their life fall into shambles due to the emotional trauma of losing somebody at home who could barely speak anymore and had lost most of their personality.

But in regard to the supposed "top-notch hopeless nightmares" -- yeah, matters should be loosened to where the severely afflicted person can check out without the guilt-trip being tacked on of "giving up", "abandoning family", "cheating on obligation to society", "feeling sorry for yourself", etc. Cruelty and best intentions have a thin line separating them there. But I doubt being quadraplegic in and of itself fits that bill when minus additional downside element(s).
Secular Sanity Offline
I just finished watching this film last night.  It was good. 

I agree with, C C.

If you liked this film, MR.  You might enjoy "The Intouchables".  I really liked it.  I thought I was watching Dustin Hoffman throughout the movie, but it was Francois Cluzet, who happens to be a dead ringer for Hoffman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34WIbmXkewU
Magical Realist Offline
(Jul 4, 2016 04:58 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: I just finished watching this film last night.  It was good. 

I agree with, C C.

If you liked this film, MR.  You might enjoy "The Intouchables".  I really liked it.  I thought I was watching Dustin Hoffman throughout the movie, but it was Francois Cluzet, who happens to be a dead ringer for Hoffman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34WIbmXkewU

That looks like a better treatment of that subject without the saccharine romance and perhaps the suicide. Have you seen the Sea Inside? Another treatment of a quadraplegic facing the plight of his condition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVRnG1MddAM
Secular Sanity Offline
(Jul 5, 2016 06:01 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: That looks like a better treatment of that subject without the saccharine romance and perhaps the suicide. Have you seen the Sea Inside? Another treatment of a quadraplegic facing the plight of his condition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVRnG1MddAM

That looks good, too. I will watch it.

Thanks, Magical Realist. Much appreciated! Smile
Secular Sanity Offline
I finished it, Magical Realist.  I couldn’t find an English version of his book; "Letters from Hell" by Ramon Sampedro.  In the film he wrote, "To worship you and to penetrate you, eternally, my seductive lover…the beloved sea." 

I loved it!  Thank you!

I’ve been discussing the work of Antonia Damasio.  "His research in neuroscience has shown that emotions play a central role in social cognition and decision-making".  His work showed that victims of brain trauma in the VM prefrontal cortex interfere with normal processing of somatic or emotional signals, while leaving other cognitive function minimally affected.  This damage resulted in a significant reduction in their ability to experience emotion, which profoundly diminished their capacity to reason and make decisions.

The film got me thinking that if this is indeed the case, we should see a difference in patients with spinal cord injuries, and this is what I found.

Quote:To the best of our knowledge, this study represents the first fMRI study of emotional processing in patients with SCI. We provide evidence for abnormalities in functional activity within brain regions associated with emotional processing. We demonstrate differences in patterns of evoked activity between SCI patients and controls including underactivity of subgenual and posterior cingulate cortex and enhanced responses within dorsal anterior cingulate cortex and PAG during the processing of learned threat. Significantly, all these regions are implicated in supporting emotional processes, notably representation of subjective emotional feelings and the control of motivational behavior. (Damasio, 1994; Craig, 2002).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2633768/

It made me think of B.J. Miller’s talk.
What Really Matters at the End of Life

"How we die is indeed something that we can affect.  Making the system sensitive to this fundamental distinction between necessary and unnecessary suffering give us our first of three design cues for the day.  Our role as care givers is to relieve suffering, not add to the pile.

To usher in grief with warmth rather than repugnance.  Anesthetic is literally the opposite of aesthetic. In my work, over the years, I’ve known many people who are ready to go.  Not because they’ve found some peace or transcendence but because they were so repulsed by what their lives had become.  In a word, cutoff or ugly.

Priorities change.

Sensuous, sensual gratification, where in a moment, in an instance, we are rewarded for just being.  So much of it comes down to loving our time by way of the senses, by way of the body, the very thing doing the living and the dying.  As long as we have our senses, even just one, we have at least the possibility of accessing what makes us feel human, connected.  Primal sensorial delights that say the things we don’t have words for, impulses that make us stay in the presence with no need for a past or a future.

Here is where caring becomes a creative, generative, even a playful act.  Play may sound like a funny word here, but it’s also one of our highest forms of adaptation.  Consider every major compulsory effort it takes to be human.  The need for food has birthed cuisine.  The need for shelter has given rise to architecture, the need for cover, fashion, and for being subjected to the clock, well, we invented music. 

Maybe we can learn to live well, not in spite of death, but because of it. " —B.J. Miller

And for my sense of play...a little wordplay.

Quote:What will heaven be like?  It will be like today, yesterday, and tomorrow. There will be two men in a field, one taken, and one left.  
All will not enter, and for those there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away.
And I saw no temple therein and the gates shall not be shut at all by day or night.
And I saw the gates and the names written thereon, which are written in the book of life.
And on the gates were written…TOMORWEN.

"The kingdom is spread out upon the earth, and people don't see it."

Thanks again and good day to you, Magical Realist.