Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Narcissists, Psychopaths And Manipulators Are Less Convincing Online Than In Person

C C Offline
http://www.science20.com/news_articles/n...son-168299

EXCERPT: Psychologists overuse terms like narcissist and sociopath as much as they do declaring everyone they dislike has Asperger's, but they get one thing right - if you have to deal with such people, you are better off online than in person. A team pf psychologists says that traditionally successful manipulators who are classified as what they like to try and deem the Dark Triad (DT)--people with narcissistic, psychopathic or Machiavellian tendencies--don't send very compelling online messages. The study, titled "The Dark Side of Negotiation" [...] involved more than 200 Canadian university psychology students [...] some of whom were rather casually identified as having various qualities on the DT spectrum - by the people doing the analysis, which raises all kinds of flags in science but is rather typical of psychology studies....
Magical Realist Online
I would think that "The Dark Triad" would come across online as rather self-indulgent and trollish. Removing the persuasive elements of vocal tone and facial expression, everything would have to be made up in the style of one's rhetoric and the ability of words to cloak agenda and intent. A large part of the sociopathic veneer relies on the power of physical presence and charm to lull their victim into a sense of complacency and trust for them. The barren abstract domain of mere written words lacks that powerful effect.

[Image: 41fcb40e_edit_img_facebook_post_image_fi...xlarge.jpg]
[Image: 41fcb40e_edit_img_facebook_post_image_fi...xlarge.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I consider myself the luckiest person in the world Ostronomos 3 98 Feb 11, 2023 04:54 AM
Last Post: C C
  Are there any online computer science course I can take for under $800? Ostronomos 2 261 Oct 20, 2022 07:04 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Home ownership leads to less happiness than expected, study finds C C 2 208 Sep 21, 2022 11:34 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Gender-neutral text perceived as less comprehensible than gendered text in Polish C C 0 55 Jul 6, 2022 03:23 AM
  Surgeons transplanted a pig kidney into a person, and it worked like normal C C 1 87 Oct 22, 2021 06:52 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Store your data (life history) online? Growing threat of its deletion and loss C C 0 97 Jul 17, 2021 04:37 AM
  Online activists are silencing us, scientists say C C 0 304 Mar 15, 2019 07:57 AM
  Algorithms maximise profits for online retailers by colluding to keep prices high C C 0 286 Feb 28, 2019 08:40 PM