Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to create a smart chicken coop + Build a backyard bee hotel

C C Offline
How to create a smart chicken coop
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/blog/how-to-c...cken-coop/

EXCERPT: The chicken's may always come home to roost, but they don't close the coop door behind them. Remembering to close a backyard chicken coop door is actually the most challenging responsibility of raising chickens. For the most part, chickens are easier to care for than dogs or cats. Yet if you don't close that coop door each night after sunset, you're likely to wake up to a bloody mess the next morning. If you haven't already experienced this, then trust me. I've had my run-ins with raccoons. I've been face-to-face with nothing between me and a snarled-toothed possum but a shovel. And my wife and I have been watching the sunset from a sidewalk cafe only to realize that we left the coop door open.

No matter how secure and predator-proof your coop, it's worthless if you don't close the door. That's why I finally committed to creating a smart coop with an automated chicken door. Now, each night when the sun sets and chickens have nestled in for the night, the coop door automatically closes. It's actually quite simple. Here's how I did it....

Build a Backyard Bee Hotel
http://makezine.com/2016/02/21/build-a-b...bee-hotel/

EXCERPT: I am not a joiner. Group think of any kind scares me. So it’s no wonder that I have a soft spot in my heart for the various species of solitary bees (carpenter, leafcutter, mason bees). No hive mind, no slavish droning for these tiny ronin. They do the same important pollinating work as other bees, but they fly solo. As concerns continue to mount over the ecological dangers that bees of all species might be in, lots of people are starting to look into what we humans can do to give the bees a bit of a boost. Turns out, it’s quite easy and fun to build what are called bee hotels, little birdhouse-like dwellings for sheltering solitary bees....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Las Vegas: no guns. Behind the scenes. Flight. Hotel room. Private. (Vanessa Blank) C C 0 89 Feb 11, 2024 07:34 PM
Last Post: C C
  Article How to build an EMP-proof lights out kit C C 0 64 Aug 10, 2023 01:21 PM
  Article DIY: How to build a "get-home kit" for urban environment (Survival Lilly) C C 0 82 Jun 7, 2023 04:22 AM
  (EJ Snyder) HOW TO: make a bottle solar still + fire harden tools + build debris hut C C 0 105 Sep 14, 2022 05:13 AM
  (EJ Snyder) HOW TO: drink water from a vine + build platform bed + what's in backpack C C 0 106 Sep 14, 2022 05:08 AM
  When DIY treatment isn't possible: A bee stings you directly in the eyeball... C C 0 114 Dec 4, 2020 09:40 PM
  Building giant mechanical iris in wall + Are smart tools making us dumber? C C 1 382 Nov 4, 2017 12:08 PM
Last Post: RainbowUnicorn
  How a backyard weather station works C C 1 329 Jul 7, 2017 06:39 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Build a custom electric guitar + Homemade Car De-Icer + Acoustic tractor beam C C 0 576 Jan 7, 2017 08:18 AM
  Create your own web browser in few minutes C C 0 433 Jun 22, 2016 11:12 PM