Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

German W7-X fusion device produces first long-lived hydrogen plasma

C C Offline
http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archi.../index.xml

EXCERPT: Scientists and dignitaries from around the world watched as Merkel pushed the button to create a hydrogen plasma that lasted a quarter of a second. But that was long enough to begin heating the plasma to 80 million degrees Celsius. By 2020, the W7-X is designed to produce a plasma that lasts up to 30 minutes and would demonstrate that stellarators could be a model for the fusion power plants of the future....
Magical Realist Offline
This is great news. I never even heard of this method of harnessing energy. I hope they develop it further and it becomes a major substitute for coal and petroleum. Imagine a fusion powered car!
C C Offline
(Feb 11, 2016 08:22 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: This is great news. I never even heard of this method of harnessing energy. I hope they develop it further and it becomes a major substitute for coal and petroleum. Imagine a fusion powered car!

It seems like the only hope for a future filled with yet more billions of people achieving a higher standard of living and greater consumption of resources and energy.

"Here is the most popular meme: 'Germany now gets half of its energy from solar panels.' This does the rounds of Twitter and Facebook almost every day. In fact, it has now spread to more reputable outlets such as Popular Mechanics, and has even appeared on the website of Richard Dawkins, the inventor of the term meme, under the headline 'Germany Now Produces Half Of Its Energy Using Solar.' The problem, of course, is that Germany does not get half of its energy from solar panels, and will not do so any time soon." http://www.theenergycollective.com/rober...ergy-solar

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A New Way to Achieve Nuclear Fusion: Helion Kornee 1 194 Jan 23, 2023 12:42 PM
Last Post: Kornee
  Superhuman hearing + Fusion startup plans reactor with superconducting magnets C C 0 128 Mar 4, 2021 07:23 PM
Last Post: C C
  New microscope sees through intact skull + Device enables "seeing" shapes minus eyes C C 0 169 Dec 3, 2020 09:57 PM
  New material breaks record turning heat into electricity + New hydrogen from seawater C C 0 238 Nov 15, 2019 11:35 PM
  On the way to intelligent microrobots + Nuclear fusion is 'a question of when, not if C C 0 217 Nov 7, 2019 12:02 AM
  ‘Artificial leaf’ successfully produces clean gas C C 0 230 Oct 26, 2019 08:35 PM
  The Navy's patent application for a compact nuclear fusion reactor is wild C C 5 476 Oct 19, 2019 02:31 AM
  Regrow dental tissue from stem cells / baby teeth + Wearable device for hair regrowth C C 0 402 Sep 17, 2018 05:52 PM
  This dystopian device warns you when AI is trying to impersonate actual humans C C 1 395 Jun 3, 2017 05:43 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist