Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

'Grief Is the Thing with Feathers' (review)

C C Offline
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v38/n02/adam-mars-j...-chop-chop

EXCERPT: . . .Elisabeth Kübler-Ross [...] came up with the idea of grief’s having five stages. [...] One of her tasks, when she was working as a psychiatrist in America in the unenlightened 1960s, was to persuade medical students to interact properly with the dying, who in those days were generally segregated and neglected – left to get on with it. [...] We go to our deaths asymptotically, never getting there because ‘we’ and ‘there’ can’t exist at the same moment, even in the case of those who have chosen to die, like the painter Keith Vaughan in 1977, who continued to write his journal after taking the overdose:

Quote:I am ready for death though I fear it. Of course the whole thing may not work and I shall wake up. I don’t really mind either way. Once the decision seems inevitable the courage needed was less than I thought. I don’t quite believe anything has happened though the bottle is empty. At the moment I feel very much alive. P.W. rang and asked me to dine with him tonight. But I had already made the decision though not started the action. I can’t believe I have committed suicide since nothing has happened. No big bang or cut wrists. 65 was long enough for me. It wasn’t a complete failure I did some [at this point the words lapse into illegibility and stop]

The five-stages idea soon migrated from the dying to the bereaved, and further afield again, as culture, particularly American culture, began to favour the notion of identity being constructed on the basis of wounds....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One thing that made me happy today. confused2 11 2,709 Jun 17, 2018 04:43 PM
Last Post: confused2