Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ground to cloud lightning

elte Offline
http://m.phys.org/news/2015-12-upside-do...tning.html

Ground to cloud lightning strikes go in the direction opposite usual.  Out-of-the-blue lightning strikes are ground-to-cloud strikes.  One of those ruined much of my electronic equipment a over a decade ago.  The silence of the early morning hours was interrupted by the deafening explosion of the bolt.

That was just one time I had sustained lightning damage. The other time my television was damaged. That wasn't a direct strike that time, because I heard a pop inside the TV. The bolt must have been far enough away to hear the electrical arc inside the TV. After that, I disconnected the outside antenna.
C C Offline
What a unpredictably biased or selective mess those occasions can sometimes be. When staying temporarily at a cabin in the woods, with scattered popping noises transpiring through the room at the relevant moment... I'll never forget how the usb port system of a netbook got fried by those lightning disturbances, despite the netbook not being connected to anything. While a variety of other electronic items (including a television) survived without damage while connected to power outlets, an external antenna, etc.
elte Offline
Lightning is strange like that. I worked as an electronics repair technician for quite a while. Often the damage was in very strange places inside customers' equipment that was lightning damaged. It was often impossible to fix those things.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Research Wet skin could save lives from lightning strikes? + Sign that the AMOC is collapsing? C C 0 42 Feb 12, 2024 01:09 AM
Last Post: C C
  Research Does lightning strike on Venus? Maybe not, study suggests (Venerean weather) C C 0 63 Oct 8, 2023 04:40 PM
  Article What happens if you get struck by lightning & survive? + Snakebite chances increase C C 0 83 Jul 17, 2023 08:09 PM
  An incendiary form of lightning may surge under climate change C C 0 77 Mar 1, 2023 06:30 PM
  There was less lightning during COVID lockdowns, research finds C C 1 81 Jan 10, 2022 09:48 PM
Last Post: confused2
  For a livable future, 60% of oil and gas must stay in the ground C C 1 86 Sep 10, 2021 04:11 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Could weirdly straight bolts of lightning be a sign of dark matter? C C 0 142 May 15, 2021 10:59 PM
  Video shows lightning bolt obliterate a tree in the blink of an eye C C 0 108 Apr 13, 2021 11:15 PM
  Scientists unravel mystery of 1,100-mile-long cloud forming above Martian volcanoes C C 0 146 Mar 12, 2021 07:34 PM
  Pine tree vs lightning bolt Magical Realist 1 160 Dec 27, 2020 08:58 PM