Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10 Movies Based on Scientific Falsehoods

C C Offline
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/1...hoods1.htm

EXCERPT: Hollywood is full of lies. Believe it or not, the movie-making industry isn't terribly concerned with truth telling. Instead, directors and producers pump their films full of over-the-top special effects, unrealistic dialogue and scientific flaws.

When it comes to science, Hollywood is notoriously fuzzy with details. Monsters and superheroes sprout from seeds of the thinnest of genetic reasoning. Widespread natural disasters appear out of nowhere. Action heroes, even those lacking super powers, somehow defy even the most basic laws of physics.

So perhaps it's no surprise that filmmakers sometimes base entire movies on a series of scientific falsehoods. After all, if you're going to break a few laws of the universe, you may as well go all the way. Action and disaster genres are generally the most notable offenders. They take a grain of scientific truth, snowball it into ridiculous proportions and then try to sell their ludicrous premises to the public as entertainment.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. As with all movies, the casting and acting matters, too, and when they're done well they provide cover for scientific illusions that would otherwise be too glaring to overlook. Other times, the science is so bad it makes you want to exit the theater in great haste.

Without further ado, let's review 10 movies that rely on scientific falsehoods as the underpinnings for their plots. You'll see that in Hollywood, science frequently takes a backseat to fun.....
elte Offline
It's a reason why gave up science fiction, bummer as doing that was.  I was concerned with it lessening my understanding of science.

It wasn't just science fiction though. I''ve given up all the genres of fiction. That might leave me with current events, history, how-to, and science (I must be leaving out an important category). Yet, as there is so much in just science alone, I concentrate mostly within it on medical science.
Magical Realist Offline
When I go to see a good movie, I don't care if it stretches the laws of physics, meteorology, or genetics to tell a good story. It is understood when I buy the ticket that this is an entirely fabricated experience anyway. These are all actors reciting lines before cameras and green screens. It's all make believe, and so it is in the realm of the imaginary and the artistic, not of the scientifically validated. I go to movies precisely to escape from the world of the mundane and the status quo, where outrageous things happen, heroes dodge bullets, everyone has a snappy comeback, and good wins out over evil.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Plant-based burgers aren’t denting our beef addiction C C 2 115 Aug 13, 2022 12:11 AM
Last Post: confused2