Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Naturalism & Its Limits + To Weld, Perchance, to Dream

C C Offline
Naturalism and its limits

EXCERPT: Many contemporary philosophers describe themselves as naturalists. They mean that they believe something like this: there is only the natural world, and the best way to find out about it is by the scientific method. I am sometimes described as a naturalist. Why do I resist the description? Not for any religious scruple: I am an atheist of the most straightforward kind. But accepting the naturalist slogan without looking beneath the slick packaging is an unscientific way to form one’s beliefs about the world, not something naturalists should recommend.

What, for a start, is the natural world? If we say it is the world of matter, or the world of atoms, we are left behind by modern physics, which characterizes the world in far more abstract terms. Anyway, the best current scientific theories will probably be superseded by future scientific developments. We might therefore define the natural world as whatever the scientific method eventually discovers. Thus naturalism becomes the belief that there is only whatever the scientific method eventually discovers, and (not surprisingly) the best way to find out about it is by the scientific method. [...] Why can’t there be things only discoverable by non-scientific means, or not discoverable at all?

[...] What is meant by “the scientific method”? Why assume that science only has one method? For naturalists [...] It involves formulating theoretical hypotheses and testing their predictions against systematic observation and controlled experiment. This is called the hypothetico-deductive method.

One challenge to naturalism is to find a place for mathematics. Natural sciences rely on it, but should we count it a science in its own right? If we do, then the description of scientific method just given is wrong, for it does not fit the science of mathematics, which proves its results by pure reasoning, rather than the hypothetico-deductive method. [...]

Which other disciplines count as science? Logic? Linguistics? History? Literary theory? How should we decide? The dilemma for naturalists is this. If they are too inclusive in what they count as science, naturalism loses its bite. Naturalists typically criticize some traditional forms of philosophy as insufficiently scientific, because they ignore experimental tests. How can they maintain such objections unless they restrict scientific method to hypothetico-deductivism? But if they are too exclusive in what they count as science, naturalism loses its credibility, by imposing a method appropriate to natural science on areas where it is inappropriate. Unfortunately, rather than clarify the issue, many naturalists oscillate. When on the attack, they assume an exclusive understanding of science as hypothetico-deductive. When under attack themselves, they fall back on a more inclusive understanding of science that drastically waters down naturalism. Such maneuvering makes naturalism an obscure article of faith. I don’t call myself a naturalist because I don’t want to be implicated in equivocal dogma. Dismissing an idea as “inconsistent with naturalism” is little better than dismissing it as “inconsistent with Christianity.”

[...] We needn’t pretend that scientists’ motives are pure. They are human. Science doesn’t depend on indifference to fame, professional advancement, money, or comparisons with rivals. Rather, truth is best pursued in social environments, intellectual communities, that minimize conflict between such baser motives and the scientific spirit, by rewarding work that embodies the scientific virtues. Such traditions exist, and not just in natural science.

The scientific spirit is as relevant in mathematics, history, philosophy and elsewhere as in natural science. [...] Although the methods of natural science could beneficially be applied more widely than they have been so far, the default assumption must be that the practitioners of a well-established discipline know what they are doing, and use the available methods most appropriate for answering its questions. Exceptions may result from a conservative tradition, or one that does not value the scientific spirit. Still, impatience with all methods except those of natural science is a poor basis on which to identify those exceptions.

Naturalism tries to condense the scientific spirit into a philosophical theory. But no theory can replace that spirit, for any theory can be applied in an unscientific spirit, as a polemical device to reinforce prejudice. Naturalism as dogma is one more enemy of the scientific spirit....

To Weld, Perchance, to Dream

EXCERPT: It’s not often that one finds oneself uniquely qualified to comment on a matter in the popular media, but when Marco Rubio argued [...] that the country needs “more welders and less philosophers,” I had my moment. My father was a welder, and I am a philosopher. I actually did have a choice to make some decades ago: to weld or to philosophize?

Mr. Rubio got the response he wanted. Philosophiles and sundry humanities defenders gleefully pointed out that what he said was empirically false (philosophy professors apparently earn more than welders). [...] But maybe Marco has a point. As a friend of mine once elegantly put it: Philosophy doesn’t boil cabbages or skin rabbits. Nor does it spot weld or arc weld. Am I obviously better than my dad was because I get paid to think for a living?

I grew up in and around the factories my dad worked in, and later managed, north of London in the 1960s and ’70s. I started work at the age of 14 (illegal, even then) [...] After having nearly lost a couple of limbs in this manner, I thought I probably didn’t have much of a future in factories. [...] I imagine most people think that philosophers are rather effete types, the products of generations of ingrained liberal privilege. I don’t want to sound like a working-class hero or anything (what would John Lennon say?), but that is not always the case.

[...] I got lucky and wound up in a university when I was 22, where I first listened to philosophers teach. [...] I got hooked [...]

Of course, to risk wild understatement, the fact that philosophers have no observable practical skills and have made no progress on any of the major philosophical questions in nearly 3,000 years might sound like failure. But not so fast. Philosophers don’t know the answers, but we do know the questions and the fact that we keep on asking them is evidence to the fact that human beings are still perplexed by the major issues of truth, reality, God, justice and even happiness.

Perversely perhaps, this lack of practical skills is also what makes philosophers so eminently employable, both in and outside academia. We can read closely and carefully, think critically and constructively, forensically find the flaws in arguments and detect nonsense parading as sense. Do we need more welders than philosophers? Well, of course, that depends what you mean by “need....”
elte Offline
It seems it could be true that there haven't been any new philosophical insights for a few thousand years. It's maybe been mostly repackaging. For example on the ethics of reacting to a hurt done by someone or something, getting sad and mad at the situation and not the offender seems right while one can get sad not mad at the offender.

On the issue of competition, have the attitude of fighting only against bad situations and not other people. That is probably a combination of things already mentioned sometime and somewhere. Further on competition, compete against past accomplishments. That is another way to say better oneself and try not to hurt others.
Yazata Online
(Nov 22, 2015 10:01 PM)C C Wrote: Naturalism and its limits

EXCERPT: Many contemporary philosophers describe themselves as naturalists.

I'm certainly not a professional philosopher, but I would call myself a 'naturalist' too.

Quote:They mean that they believe something like this: there is only the natural world, and the best way to find out about it is by the scientific method.

I'm inclined to think that there's only one universe, the one we call 'natural'. (I can't know that for a fact though, even though I believe it.)

But I'm far more skeptical about the so-called 'scientific method'. I don't believe that scientists all use a single method or algorithm, that serves to distinguish science from everything that isn't science. I'm more inclined to think that scientists use a whole variety of methods, provided only that whatever method they employ is useful and justifiable.

Quote:I am sometimes described as a naturalist. Why do I resist the description? Not for any religious scruple: I am an atheist of the most straightforward kind. But accepting the naturalist slogan without looking beneath the slick packaging is an unscientific way to form one’s beliefs about the world, not something naturalists should recommend.

What, for a start, is the natural world?

I don't think that a naturalist needs to be able to answer that question. For me, the natural world is the world I live in, the world of the tables and the chairs (and other people as well). It's the world I interact with when I look for food in the fridge. I don't really have any final explanation for it, nor can I reduce it to any definitive list of fundamental metaphysical elements, whether atoms or anything else.

Quote:We might therefore define the natural world as whatever the scientific method eventually discovers.

I'd be more inclined to call that a theory, an idealization, a supposedly final human account of what we find around us. In my opinion that confuses the map with the territory. Our understanding of the world isn't the world itself. Nor am I convinced that human beings will ever arrive at a final scientific account of nature. Science might be more of a pursuit than a destination, an endless attempt to better understand things that by their nature transcend human conceptualization.

Quote:Thus naturalism becomes the belief that there is only whatever the scientific method eventually discovers, and (not surprisingly) the best way to find out about it is by the scientific method. [...] Why can’t there be things only discoverable by non-scientific means, or not discoverable at all?

Right.

Quote:What is meant by “the scientific method”? Why assume that science only has one method? For naturalists [...] It involves formulating theoretical hypotheses and testing their predictions against systematic observation and controlled experiment. This is called the hypothetico-deductive method.

Again, I agree. Reducing all of science to a H-D schema is simplistic in my opinion.

Quote:One challenge to naturalism is to find a place for mathematics. Natural sciences rely on it, but should we count it a science in its own right? If we do, then the description of scientific method just given is wrong, for it does not fit the science of mathematics, which proves its results by pure reasoning, rather than the hypothetico-deductive method.

Yes. I think that the nature of mathematics (and logic) and their precise relationship to natural reality remains profoundly mysterious.

Quote:Which other disciplines count as science? Logic? Linguistics? History? Literary theory? How should we decide?

In order to answer that question, we would need to have a better definition of 'science' than we actually do.

Personally, I don't consider all of the so-called "social sciences" to really be sciences. I don't consider sociology to be a science, though I'm inclined to think that psychology and economics can sometimes come close and represent problem cases.

Quote:The dilemma for naturalists is this. If they are too inclusive in what they count as science, naturalism loses its bite.

Does naturalism have to have 'bite'? I guess that atheists often use it in scientistic ways, as a rhetorical hammer. That use seems to be coloring this author's remarks and might perhaps be what he's arguing against. Naturalism is less effective as a rhetorical hammer if we are willing to admit that we don't fully understand nature and perhaps never will, and that we don't already possess some infallible and inerrant Biblical-style method of attaining all truth.

Quote:Naturalists typically criticize some traditional forms of philosophy as insufficiently scientific, because they ignore experimental tests. How can they maintain such objections unless they restrict scientific method to hypothetico-deductivism? But if they are too exclusive in what they count as science, naturalism loses its credibility, by imposing a method appropriate to natural science on areas where it is inappropriate.

We needn't assume that the only knowledge worthy of the name is scientific and that science is defined by possession of a single unique method.

When somebody is making doubtful claims to know something and expect you to agree, the proper question to ask is the common-sensical one: Why should I believe what you're saying? Can the individual produce good and convincing reasons for what he or she asserts? We needn't assume a-priori that there can only be one sort of justification or that all justifications must take the same logical form.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Living in a cosmic dream" C C 2 125 Oct 1, 2021 01:15 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Quine's Naturalism (interview of Sander Verhaegh about the topic) C C 0 481 Dec 29, 2018 05:23 PM
Last Post: C C
  What Happens When We Reach the Limits of Science? C C 4 981 Dec 8, 2017 09:27 PM
Last Post: Syne
  How Aesthetics Reveals the Limits of Neuroscience C C 0 543 Oct 10, 2015 06:12 PM
  Language and the Limits of Knowing Yazata 3 1,000 Oct 13, 2014 05:19 PM