Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stat tricks of the placebo effect + Surprising "return of antenna TV" numbers

C C Offline
Statbusters: Games people play with the placebo effect
http://junkcharts.typepad.com/numbersrul...ffect.html

EXCERPT: In the first two chapters of Numbersense, I discuss how people game statistics, and why gaming is inevitable. I have also written about the placebo effect before. Another article has appeared covering the same topic -- the industry doesn't like the fact that more and more drugs fail to clear the "placebo" hurdle; and the industry thinks the problem is that the placebo effect is mysteriously increasing over time.

What is new in that BBC News item is the extensive conversations with people who run clinical trials. They reveal a variety of tricks they use to game the numbers. Read our latest Statbusters column in the Daily Beast here....

- - - - - - - -

Return of the rabbit ears
http://observationalepidemiology.blogspo...-ears.html

EXCERPT: I've gotten way behind on the over-the-air television/terrestrial superstation story. For example, I missed this very good LA Times piece by Stephen Battaglio [...] I'll be revisiting this later but for now here's a short excerpt and a few brief comments.

Quote:"Unplug your cable system and find MeTV, which stands for Memorable Entertainment Television. The network airs hits such as "M*A*S*H," "Bonanza" and "Star Trek," and averages about 521,000 viewers in daytime — higher than all but nine national cable networks. From 5 to 11 p.m., MeTV ranked 20th with 667,000 viewers compared with those networks."

Other media companies have also turned to classic TV as a low-cost programming solution for multicast channels, which now reportedly take in more than $250 million a year in ad revenue....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cannabis is no better than a placebo for treating pain (data meta-analysis) C C 5 319 Dec 2, 2022 12:29 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Why is the placebo effect getting worse, but only in America? C C 0 94 Jan 3, 2022 08:16 PM
Last Post: C C
  A surprising number of kids in the US think hot dogs are actually this C C 3 122 Nov 14, 2021 12:37 AM
  Frequent cannabis use by young people linked to decline in IQ (stat analysis) C C 21 828 Feb 15, 2021 07:40 PM
  Project operates from space to reduce global slavery numbers C C 0 266 Apr 6, 2019 06:19 PM
  Data / numbers for “technosignatures” scan, evidence of advanced civilizations C C 0 178 Feb 11, 2018 10:39 PM
  Police shootings data reveal surprising result + IA graphic of gun deaths in America C C 2 968 Jul 21, 2016 01:15 AM
Last Post: Secular Sanity
  The Surprising History of the Infographic C C 1 401 Jul 9, 2016 12:58 PM
Last Post: Ben the Donkey
  Behind the numbers: Polling debate + China's surprising demographics - child policy C C 0 530 Feb 3, 2016 07:43 PM
  Shouldn't believe many of the numbers you read + All the roads that lead to Rome C C 0 456 Dec 13, 2015 03:36 AM