Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Article  After all of this time searching for aliens, is it the Zoo Hypothesis or nothing?

C C Offline
https://www.universetoday.com/165005/aft...e_vignette

EXCERPTS: . . . Despite decades of observation and SETI surveys, there is still no definitive evidence that advanced extraterrestrial civilizations are out there. [...] these searches have found no compelling evidence of technosignatures within our galaxy or beyond. According to Crawford and Schulze-Makuch, the “Great Silence” we perceive when we look out into the Universe can only mean one of two things. First, there’s the possibility that the Hart-Tipler Conjecture is correct, and there are no advanced ETC out there. Similarly, it may be that intelligent life (or life in general) is rare in the Universe due to the odds being stacked against its emergence or evolution (aka. the Great Filter).

If neither of these scenarios is true, we are left with only one answer: the Zoo Hypothesis is correct and advanced civilizations are keeping their distance to avoid being detected...

[...] In summary, the Zoo Hypothesis predicts that we shall never find them because they do not want to be found, and they have the technological ability to ensure this. This theory is similar to the Planetarium Hypothesis, which also posits that advanced civilizations have the means to elude detection from our instruments. Unlike the Planetarium Hypothesis, the Zoo Hypothesis assumes that the intentions of the ETCs are benign, which could include wanting to avoid interfering with our technological or social development (i.e., the “Prime Directive” from Star Trek)...

[...] Perhaps, rather than simply observing distant stars for signs of transmissions or other technological activity, we should also look for evidence of advanced civilizations closer to home. This is the path being pursued by Professor Avi Loeb and his colleagues at the Galileo Project, which hopes to complement conventional SETI by searching for evidence of ETC technology and artifacts within our Solar System... (MORE - missing details)
Zinjanthropos Offline
I’m not a believer but what if we are in a zoo.

Nowadays when you watch a documentary or video of African wildlife living within a government reserve, it isn’t uncommon to see the vehicles used by cameramen and safari tourists. The animals go about their daily lives, complete with all kinds of drama and violence, seemingly oblivious to the fact they are surrounded by human onlookers, although they can see and smell us. OTOH, we obviously don’t leave the safety of our vehicles to get a closer look, it’s too dangerous. Best the wildlife goes about as normal as possible without us actually taking part physically or interfering.

I think if the Earth were a nature reserve under control of aliens, it wouldn’t be any different. Perhaps ET is monitoring us or opening up the planet for alien visits. Maybe those UAPs are the zookeepers or tour buses. We may sense something but we generally go about our business without giving the LGM much thought.

Don't know how far our boundaries might reach and the idea may be to keep us within sight. Invisible fences to keep us close, hidden and protected. I wonder if they worry about poaching….should we? I just hope they’ve been at this for an awful long time and have records, vids, etc that someday we may access. Nice if they cleaned our cage for us.
stryder Offline
(Jan 5, 2024 03:52 AM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: I’m not a believer but what if we are in a zoo.

Nowadays when you watch a documentary or video of African wildlife living within a government reserve, it isn’t uncommon to see the vehicles used by cameramen and safari tourists. The animals go about their daily lives, complete with all kinds of drama and violence, seemingly oblivious to the fact they are surrounded by human onlookers, although they can see and smell us. OTOH, we obviously don’t leave the safety of our vehicles to get a closer look, it’s too dangerous. Best the wildlife goes about as normal as possible without us actually taking part physically or interfering.

I think if the Earth were a nature reserve under control of aliens, it wouldn’t be any different. Perhaps ET is monitoring us or opening up the planet for alien visits. Maybe those UAPs are the zookeepers or tour buses. We may sense something but we generally go about our business without giving the LGM much thought.

Don't know how far our boundaries might reach and the idea may be to keep us within sight. Invisible fences to keep us close, hidden and protected. I wonder if they worry about poaching….should we? I just hope they’ve been at this for an awful long time and have records, vids, etc that someday we may access. Nice if they cleaned our cage for us.

Earth is more likely to be a "Prison" Planet. Just need a Snake Plissken to escape this rock.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Where are all those aliens? (Jill Tarter & Douglas Vakoch interview) C C 0 69 Jul 18, 2023 01:09 PM
Last Post: C C
  Ominous green lasers shot over Hawaii weren't NASA origin after all, but China C C 1 105 Feb 11, 2023 03:56 AM
Last Post: Kornee
  Does consciousness survive death? + Nothing you see is real (Donald Hoffman) C C 0 73 Sep 16, 2022 03:23 PM
  Astronomers scan center of the Milky Way for intelligent civilizations, find nothing C C 0 78 Feb 15, 2022 06:28 PM
  The Stoned Ape Hypothesis: Did magic mushrooms influence human evolution? C C 0 66 Jan 30, 2022 04:37 AM
  Origin of fairy circles: Euphorbia hypothesis disproved C C 1 143 Jun 10, 2021 01:09 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Elon Admits a Truth that We've All Known for A Long Time Yazata 4 212 Feb 20, 2021 08:38 PM
Last Post: Yazata
  Galactic Zoo Zinjanthropos 4 255 Apr 3, 2020 07:52 PM
  Searching for Bigfoot in Oregon Yazata 2 445 Dec 12, 2019 02:33 AM