Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

"The Marvels" - The biggest flop In MCU history?

C C Offline
They should have used a heavily Asian cast if they wanted that kind of movie to work. Though due to the bad reviews of The Witcher: Blood Origin, one can't assert that everything Michelle Yeoh appears in turns to gold.
- - - - - - - - - -

https://youtu.be/_Cfq8TbHzt0

VIDEO INTRO: You don't need me to tell you that apart from one or two marginal successes like Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Marvel has been a brand in decline for some time now. And the process only seems to be accelerating, as we near the end of what's turned out to be a pretty dismal year for superhero movies.

Ant-Man 3 was an unmitigated disaster, losing hundreds of millions of dollars for the studio. While Secret Invasion, a big budget Disney+ show featuring what used to be one of the coolest characters in the franchise, was met with resounding indifference.

Which brings me not so neatly along to "The Marvels" -- one of the least anticipated MCU movies of the past several years, and the film that's going to round out a disastrous 2023 for Disney.

I mean right from the beginning it was pretty obvious that this movie didn't have much to work with, handcuffed as it was to a main character that was once touted as the new face of the Avengers. Until Marvel realized that she was about as popular with fans as barbecue ribs at a vegan restaurant.

Hence, the reason she's barely appeared in anything in the past 4 years. [...] Attempts to dilute the problem by crowbarring in two other characters that most people either didn't know or didn't care about only serve to highlight how pointless, directionless, and passionless the whole endeavor felt.

Then came the delays the revisions, the re-shoots, the rumors of tension and explosive conflicts on set, the disastrously bad test screenings, the hiring of an inexperienced director with a grand total of one mid-budget movie to her name.

Who made baffling statements like "this movie is going to be totally different from the rest of the MCU because it's really wacky and silly." Or "sometimes you'd be in a scene, and you'd be like, what the hell does any of this mean?"

No kidding, Nia, I often find myself asking the same thing with pretty much every Marvel project these days...

"The Marvels" - The biggest flop In MCU history?

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/_Cfq8TbHzt0
Syne Offline
Predictable.
Magical Realist Offline
I used to go to all the new Marvel and DC releases with a friend back in 2015-2017. But it suddenly dawned on me one day that I don't really enjoy them. They are typical and simplistic superhero tales designed to appeal to kids really. The action consists mainly of explosions and fighting, which the plot is designed to maximize. Nothing new or unexpected here really. I was never into superhero comic books as a kid. So that might account for my disillusion with the film versions.
C C Offline
(Oct 23, 2023 08:28 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: I used to go to all the new Marvel and DC releases with a friend back in 2015-2017. But it suddenly dawned on me one day that I don't really enjoy them. They are typical and simplistic superhero tales designed to appeal to kids really. The action consists mainly of explosions and fighting, which the plot is designed to maximize. Nothing new or unexpected here really. I was never into superhero comic books as a kid. So that might account for my disillusion with the film versions.

Reflected here:

Why Modern Movies Suck: They're Written By Children
https://youtu.be/CQ92cggLMx8

At one time, the less popular DC stuff was criticized for being too much on the dark, brooding somber side (psychologically damaged superheroes) rather than the constant wisecracking acrobatics of the Marvel/Disney films. I take it that such has probably changed since James Gunn (and so forth) came over to script and direct items like "The Suicide Squad". But on an occasional DC television show (like "Titans" -- of all the unexpected things), that atmosphere still seems to linger a bit.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  9 movies with the biggest 2019 oscar buzz Magical Realist 2 307 Dec 7, 2019 06:15 PM
Last Post: C C