Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Frankenbirds: True Tale of Science & Immortality or Making Dead Animals Look Alive

C C Offline
http://blog.hmns.org/2015/10/frankenbird...ook-alive/

EXCERPT: I’d like to first clarify that this is not a “how-to” manual for your creep-tastic Halloween needs. I’m all for phantasmagorical home decor but the average citizen should not be handling animal specimens. Numerous species are protected or their handling is regulated by state and federal authorities. If you don’t have the necessary permits and training please leave the dead stuff alone (or call us).

With that disclaimer in place, I’d like to boast that my necropsy (animal autopsy) skills have greatly improved in my time at the Houston Museum of Natural Science. As has my taxidermy technique – not a skill set I thought I’d be adding to my resume, but this place is nothing if not constantly surprising.

Why is this done at all, you may ask? As a scientific institution, part of our job is to preserve a record of life on Earth, both for edification of the public (think the Farish Hall of Texas Wildlife and the Frensley/Graham Hall of African Wildlife) and for the maintenance of reference collections used in research (our study skin specimens stored off-site).

It may seem like an obvious assumption, but no one wants to store an untreated dead thing in their building, regardless of ventilation and air-conditioning. Dead things rot, rotten things smell bad and a stinky workplace makes for very unhappy employees. So unprocessed specimens are stored in a freezer until the time comes for someone like me to thaw it out and clean it up. [...]

So what kind of person does this for a living? Am I the modern, non-fiction equivalent of Victor Frankenstein? So glad you asked! Here’s the answer, in brief...

[Lots of "photographs" concerning the profession included in this guest blog article...]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the Schrödinger equation true? (philosophy of science / mathematics) C C 1 117 Feb 21, 2024 07:08 PM
Last Post: confused2
  9 historical predictions that came true Magical Realist 1 124 Feb 15, 2024 10:19 PM
Last Post: C C
  Discoveries from 2021, if true, could shake up science + Pet worms may jump to people C C 0 74 Dec 21, 2021 09:46 PM
  It’s true, scent really does have power over memory C C 0 229 Mar 17, 2020 08:34 PM
  'We’re not just making sh*t up': Neil deGrasse Tyson slaughters anti-science crank C C 3 1,033 Jan 23, 2017 05:15 AM
Last Post: RainbowUnicorn