Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Article  A bet against quantum gravity

C C Offline
https://youtu.be/DkRbNXILroI

VIDEO EXCERPTS: The general feeling amongst physicists, for the last hundred years is that we need to quantize spacetime just as we quantized every other field. But reconciling gravity with quantum theory is one of the great challenges of physics. Thus far we've been hopelessly unsuccessful.

And so I think, we're at a point where we ought to really question whether this drive and this challenge to quantize gravity. Whether that really was the right thing to do.

[...] gravity is different. ... gravity is very much about the arena or the background in which matter moves. So you have this quantized matter which evolves in time and moves in space, and this background spacetime appears to be a necessary part of how we describe quantum theory.

[...] if you quantize the speed of time, what you find is that time becomes frozen. Things don't evolve at all. So this is the immediate problem that people grappled with when they were trying to quantized gravity, and we've been stuck on that ever since.

[...] So a few years ago, after I'd given a talk on the theory, I got into a discussion with Carlo Rovelli, who's one of the founders of loop quantum gravity. And as a result of that discussion, we formulated a bet with 5000 to 1 odds on whether spacetime is fundamentally quantum or not.

Geoff Pennington, who's a leading string theorist, also joined in on the BET. If I win, I will get 5000 items from each of them, maybe some olive oil or a little dram of whiskey maybe, a packet of crisps.

And so what I like about the bets is that they force us to, first of all, make the bet precise in a way that can be tested experimentally, because I think that's important that we can test our beliefs experimentally... (missing details below or link at top)

A bet against quantum gravity

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/DkRbNXILroI
confused2 Offline
If I understand correctly one of the 'problems' arises with entangled particles.
If you measure one and it is (say) 'up' then the other will inevitably be 'down' when you measure it.
If the entangled particles are some distance apart in a space-timey universe there's a time delay between measuring the one and the other having any way to know you've measured it so you could get two 'ups' (or two 'downs'). As far as I know, entangled particles can (experimentally) do their thing regardless of distance so there is a flaw in something somewhere. Possibly the universe is actually flawed and it never will make sense.
Edit..
Like if Schrodinger entangled two cats and put them in 50-50 boxes - if you open the first box and the cat is dead then the second cat can't die. Or something.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article We don’t need a quantum gravity: Why we shouldn't quantize spacetime C C 0 19 Mar 12, 2024 06:33 PM
Last Post: C C
  Article Might there be no quantum gravity after all? + Problem yields numbers too big for our C C 0 97 Dec 6, 2023 12:48 AM
  Debunked: delayed choice quantum eraser + What to know about quantum mechanics C C 5 212 Nov 4, 2021 01:17 AM
Last Post: confused2
  Are we approaching quantum gravity all wrong? (Lee Smolin interview) C C 2 158 Sep 18, 2021 06:46 PM
  "Human-scale" object reaches a quantum state + Quantum tunneling of particles is FTL C C 0 142 Jun 17, 2021 11:42 PM
  Crisis of quantum gravity + Has the black hole information paradox evaporated? C C 0 133 Mar 24, 2021 05:32 PM
  Anyons confirmed, quantum computing role + Quantum teleportation achieved C C 3 289 Dec 21, 2020 09:05 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Physicists discover "anti-gravity" in bizarre buoyancy experiment C C 1 170 Sep 4, 2020 02:35 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Why gravity is not like the other forces C C 4 302 Jun 21, 2020 02:03 PM
Last Post: Catastrophe
  Astrophysics signal constrains quantum gravity & string theory + What is emergence? C C 0 214 Apr 4, 2020 08:21 PM