Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Loneliness as unhealthy as smoking is says Surgeon General

Magical Realist Offline
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/loneliness-...c29D3-PuwE

"Widespread loneliness in the U.S. poses health risks as deadly as smoking a dozen cigarettes daily, costing the health industry billions of dollars annually, the U.S. surgeon general said Tuesday in declaring the latest public health epidemic.

About half of U.S. adults say they've experienced loneliness, Dr. Vivek Murthy said in an 81-page report from his office.

"We now know that loneliness is a common feeling that many people experience. It's like hunger or thirst. It's a feeling the body sends us when something we need for survival is missing," Murthy told The Associated Press in an interview. "Millions of people in America are struggling in the shadows, and that's not right. That's why I issued this advisory to pull back the curtain on a struggle that too many people are experiencing."

The declaration is intended to raise awareness around loneliness but won't unlock federal funding or programming devoted to combatting the issue.

Research shows that Americans, who have become less engaged with worship houses, community organizations and even their own family members in recent decades, have steadily reported an increase in feelings of loneliness. The number of single households has also doubled over the last 60 years.

But the crisis deeply worsened when COVID-19 spread, prompting schools and workplaces to shut their doors and sending millions of Americans to isolate at home away from relatives or friends.

People culled their friend groups during the coronavirus pandemic and reduced time spent with those friends, the surgeon general's report finds. Americans spent about 20 minutes a day in person with friends in 2020, down from 60 minutes daily nearly two decades earlier.

The loneliness epidemic is hitting young people, ages 15 to 24, especially hard. The age group reported a 70% drop in time spent with friends during the same period.

Loneliness increases the risk of premature death by nearly 30%, with the report revealing that those with poor social relationships also had a greater risk of stroke and heart disease. Isolation also elevates a person's likelihood for experiencing depression, anxiety and dementia.

The surgeon general is calling on workplaces, schools, technology companies, community organizations, parents and other people to make changes that will boost the country's connectedness. He advises people to join community groups and put down their phones when they're catching up with friends; employers to think carefully about their remote work policies; and health systems to provide training for doctors to recognize the health risks of loneliness.

Technology has rapidly exacerbated the loneliness problem, with one study cited in the report finding that people who used social media for two hours or more daily were more than twice as likely to report feeling socially isolated than those who were on such apps for less than 30 minutes a day.

Murthy said social media is driving the increase in loneliness in particular. His report suggests that technology companies roll out protections for children especially around their social media behavior.

"There's really no substitute for in-person interaction," Murthy said. "As we shifted to use technology more and more for our communication, we lost out on a lot of that in-person interaction. How do we design technology that strengthens our relationships as opposed to weaken them?"
Magical Realist Offline
I take some issue with the above equivalence. I think being around people, especially most the time, is highly overrated. I grew up in a family of 5 kids and 2 parents. Basically we were a bunch of people held together by nothing more than common DNA and a common last name. I as well as my sister were relentlessly teased by a sadistic old brother. My dad drank beer when he got home from his unfulfilling job, and my mom ended up being bipolar with several nervous breakdowns. The stress of being around people all the time drove me to become a introvert. Only by reading or drawing could I justifiably be alone and away from everybody. I grew up enjoying the peace of solitude. I feel like I'm in a healthier situation having lower stress levels not having to compete for attention in a dysfunctional family on the verge of insanity. There is peace and acceptance in being alone. Occasional loneliness is a small price to pay for my free and readily accessible escape into otherworldly realms.
C C Offline
(May 5, 2023 01:16 AM)Magical Realist Wrote: I take some issue with the above equivalence. I think being around people, especially most the time, is highly overrated. I grew up in a family of 5 kids and 2 parents. Basically we were a bunch of people held together by nothing more than common DNA and a common last name. I as well as my sister were relentlessly teased by a sadistic old brother. My dad drank beer when he got home from his unfulfilling job, and my mom ended up being bipolar with several nervous breakdowns. The stress of being around people all the time drove me to become a introvert. Only by reading or drawing could I justifiably be alone and away from everybody. I grew up enjoying the peace of solitude. I feel like I'm in a healthier situation having lower stress levels not having to compete for attention in a dysfunctional family on the verge of insanity. There is peace and acceptance in being alone. Occasional loneliness is a small price to pay for my free and readily accessible escape into otherworldly realms.

Yah, somewhere in the past there was a thread about many people who finally discovered tranquility in solitude, and craved that the establishment would stop diagnosing them with its own standards, as if they needed the opposite.

It's amazing how some of their extreme counterparts on the other side start falling to pieces if they spend just a few hours in isolation, without even a mobile phone, surrounded by items that they could entertain themselves with. Literally like they start losing their identity or feel like they don't exist without other people to interact with -- they're such an entrenched component of a hive-mind, or an extended mind.
Magical Realist Offline
My brother lives alone now since his wife has moved in with her 90 something father to take care of him. He doesn't do very well with solitude and is reverting to drinking. He asked me the other day how I do it...the aloneness that is. I told him I'm just a natural introvert who draws his energy from solitude unlike extroverts who draw their energy from other people. I literally have to find a park or a movie theater after social gatherings like Thanksgiving to recharge my energy. Like Sylvia Plath said: "I wanted to be where nobody I knew could ever come."—Sylvia Plath, Bell Jar

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Loneliness is a public health issue Magical Realist 2 59 Mar 13, 2024 11:22 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Article Other people may not be solution to loneliness + Intelligence & personality linked C C 1 92 Aug 16, 2023 11:13 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Article The loneliness epidemic is a myth? C C 1 77 May 19, 2023 07:16 PM
  How loneliness is killing men C C 1 142 Nov 14, 2022 07:34 PM
  Reciprocal relationship between depression & loneliness may decay within 6 years C C 0 64 Dec 9, 2021 12:33 AM
Last Post: C C
  Quit smoking before 45 & wipe out 87% lung cancer risk + Back pain of astronauts C C 0 62 Oct 25, 2021 06:53 PM
  "All the lonely people": Impact of loneliness in old age on life & health expectancy C C 0 71 Jul 6, 2021 11:46 PM
  Milk & health: The evidence + Childhood abuse linked to teen heavy cigarette smoking C C 0 141 Feb 26, 2020 04:37 AM
  Marijuana smoking & testicular cancer + BPA exposure 44 times higher than thought C C 0 368 Dec 7, 2019 11:12 PM
  Younger pot smoking linked to higher rates of drug abuse later C C 1 407 May 21, 2018 09:11 PM
Last Post: Syne