Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Software engineering or computer science?

Ostronomos Offline
Hello,

I recently found out my mother saved up $1200 for me to pay for online courses. I am weighing my options and which would have maximum benefit for both myself and humanity. Which should I major in software engineering or computer science? I should also add that I am not thrilled about C++ programming.

I wish to use my incredible but temporary powers of insight to invent a biological computer. Would computer science give me a general overview of how to build computers? Or would SE only tell me about how software works and which is best?
stryder Offline
The main thing you should really consider is what do you intend to do with what you learn.

Software engineering is more of a skill applied to the role of software development. It can pay well if you are good at it, and it can allow you to build software for a myriad of applications. It's potentially a "bread earner" if you are inclined to actually use it that way.

Computer Sciences is far more generalised, it would allow you to explore beyond programming to actually building systems etc. It's usually a field that most IT staff have as a fundemental and necessary whether it's debugging why a company-wide outtage for email has occurred or if a photocopier has a piece of paper jammed in it.

On their own they have their uses, however what you should be looking to do is using which ever you decide to head towards as a stepping stone to further education in a field of choice should ou truly want to push barriers.

However education and drugs really don't mix, in fact mixing them can lead to problems. So you've got to decide how serious you are about learning.
confused2 Offline
I'd suggest trying a cheap or free programming course to see if you can actually learn anything .. if not then at least let your mum keep the $1200.
Syne Offline
He's not serious, and $1200 won't get him anywhere. If he were serious, he'd be working to saved much more than $1200 dollars, so he'd actually have a personal stake in succeeding at any education. But that's what pot does to you. All kinds of dreams, zero motivation.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Mar 4, 2023 06:17 PM)Syne Wrote: He's not serious, and $1200 won't get him anywhere. If he were serious, he'd be working to saved much more than $1200 dollars, so he'd actually have a personal stake in succeeding at any education. But that's what pot does to you. All kinds of dreams, zero motivation.

Enrol in one of many free SE courses online but tell mom it costs $1200. Take the money and buy some really good cannabis. If you do all that then at least you’ll understand you’re f****d up. Can’t imagine giving someone life and watching it disappear into a malodorous blue haze. Can’t be easy.for the poor woman, trying to restore that life….jeezuz what a great mom!
Syne Offline
Restore? I doubt he's even left his mom's house. The woman's still trying to launch that ship.
Ostronomos Offline
I HAVE PROVEN THAT I AM MORE THAN CAPABLE OF ELEVATING HUMANITY TO ITS ULTIMATE DESTINY THROUGH MY GENIUS WHILE UP ON GANJ. YOU LATTER TWO FOOLS ARE THE ONES WHO ARE DELUDED.
Syne Offline
Oh noes, the delusional kid is mad again. 9_9
Zinjanthropos Offline
Getting too much like an act now. At least we give him some attention, something he seems to crave or lack. I meant it about his mom, she deserves a medal.
Appears obvious Ostro hasn't a pot to piss in yet mom still managed to put together $1200 to help the guy become something other than a lump.
Ostronomos Offline
(Mar 7, 2023 12:30 AM)Syne Wrote: Oh noes, the delusional kid is mad again. 9_9

I FEEL SORRY FOR YOU AS YOU WILL BEAR THE BRUNT OF MY WRATH!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SpaceX Computer Hardware and Software Yazata 2 297 Dec 30, 2019 10:44 PM
Last Post: C C
  Use software: Number theorist fears published math is wrong C C 0 391 Sep 28, 2019 09:28 PM
  DON'T load the new ITunes software! Magical Realist 0 428 Oct 10, 2015 09:50 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  The Argument for Teaching Computer Science Without Computers C C 0 622 Jun 4, 2015 02:48 PM