Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Does atheism lead to nihilism?

Zinjanthropos Offline
(Feb 20, 2023 09:58 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: Getting over the temporary meaninglessness of our discarded religion for the more substantial and presentist enthusiasm of a "this is it!" life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq0oN8fKWjE

Guys made some good points on things I would wager most atheists have considered. If I had to worship anything it might be the Sun. I’m not much without it…lol

Feel fortunate to have had the chance to look around. Being top predator helped immensely. I feel I’m just another vessel for life because whatever life may be, there seems to be strong evidence that it wants to continue. Why? I don’t know.
Magical Realist Offline
The nihilism that happens when one becomes an atheist/agnostic is only a temporary loss of being..It opens us up to the new experience of being IN and a PART of the universe, alive and meaningful as only consciousness can be. Life goes from being an abstraction of one's belief system to a participation in the ongoing emergence of existence.
C C Offline
A big problem is that atheism often gets popularly conflated with scientism (and one atheist philosopher even wrote a much criticized book contending that scientism was indeed the proper thought orientation for such). Scientism pretty much rules out any kind of exo-Abrahamic, Eastern or non-Western mysticism slash spirituality as an alternative, too.

But since gods were ultimately just concepts, principles, laws, values, aspects of life/death, and worldly patterns/cycles that were personified... The community of non-theism actually still wallows in and is regulated by such invented ideas slash useful fictions, too -- compliance and commitment to them, even a kind of reverence in terms of political and cultural canon. The difference is that it stops short of the religious anthropomorphism and zoomorphism of those abstractions.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Towards Shattering the Illusion of Atheism Ostronomos 4 206 Aug 23, 2023 08:54 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Let Supreme Logic Lead You to God Ostronomos 4 192 Aug 19, 2022 08:43 PM
Last Post: Ostronomos
  The paradox of existential nihilism Magical Realist 6 217 Jun 20, 2022 05:05 AM
Last Post: Leigha
  The paradox of existential nihilism Magical Realist 0 71 May 16, 2022 07:27 PM
  Satire explosion in 18th century saw philosophers worry mockery could lead to abuse C C 0 304 May 8, 2021 04:50 AM
Last Post: C C
  The moral case for nihilism C C 2 711 Apr 2, 2019 08:19 PM
  My insights on sciforums are sufficient to lead one to deduce the existence of God Ostronomos 1 342 Feb 6, 2019 04:57 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Optimistic nihilism Magical Realist 6 1,000 Jan 18, 2019 02:14 PM
Last Post: Leigha
  Atheism is a belief fueled by jealousy Ostronomos 51 5,253 May 27, 2018 02:15 AM
Last Post: Syne