Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How aliens will actually make first contact with humanity, a scientist explains

C C Offline
https://www.sciencefocus.com/space/first-human-contact/

EXCERPTS: . . . “If the signal is information-rich, for example, I think that has much larger consequences than a signal that just points towards there being an intelligent civilisation somewhere out there. It will have a value that will become understood by governments very quickly. On some level, scientists have to protect themselves."

[...] Depending on the nature of the alien signal, or whether we would even be able to understand or translate it, there is also the question of whether we would respond.

“It is very difficult to stop people transmitting signals into space,” says Garrett. “And if you had a really advanced civilisation out there, it might not take a lot to transmit a signal that they could detect.

"You will no doubt have small groups of enthusiasts and amateurs that would send signals. But what entitles any group, individual or country to send out messages on behalf of the whole planet?

"That’s where the United Nations’ involvement is important, although currently the UN does not have a view on this.”

[...] “I think a lot depends on distance,” says Garrett. “If the aliens are within the Solar System, then I think people will be worried. But if they’re on the other side of the Galaxy, I think people would be excited by that.

"Some religious organisations may need to change their doctrines, but most religions are pretty good at accommodating things as they arise. I would like to think that if we find another civilisation out there, that it would accelerate our own political maturity, ethics and morality." (MORE - missing details)
Magical Realist Offline
I suspect aliens will make their presence known gradually, subtly, clairovoyantly, as in strange dreams of some previous existence. They're just waiting for humanity to wake up to the eternal reality of their own consciousness.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jordan Peterson [supposedly] explains his big difference with Ayn Rand (video & text) C C 0 97 Sep 26, 2023 08:17 PM
Last Post: C C
  Article Humanity’s return to the moon is a deeply religious mission C C 1 61 Apr 12, 2023 02:08 PM
Last Post: Kornee
  Religiosity explains poverty's lesser effect on well-being in underdeveloped nations? C C 2 79 Mar 22, 2022 03:48 PM
Last Post: Leigha
  NASA Scientist Says We Need to Stop Worrying About the Apocalypse C C 0 229 Dec 3, 2017 06:00 AM
Last Post: C C
  Theory Explains The Soul & The Afterlife C C 1 1,043 Jul 24, 2015 07:41 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist