Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Berkeley to change biology courses into social-justice courses + Paper retraction

C C Offline
https://whyevolutionistrue.com/2023/01/1...e-courses/

EXCERPTS: Well, here we go again. Unsurprisingly, the University of California at Berkeley has revamped its biology curriculum, turning courses in three departments into propaganda mills as well as vehicles for learning biology. This initiative was announced by Berkeley itself at the website below (click to read).

Here’s some of the announcement, showing that the revamping was at the request of the graduate diversity council of the Department of Environmental Science, Policy, and Management. Note that the courses are in three departments, and have large enrollments.

[...] Now one could question the wisdom of infusing ideology into biology (as I do)—even anti-racist ideology. While of course I oppose racism, I am not on board with every bit of antiracist philosophy (I diverge from Kendi’s claim, for example, that if you or your program is not explicitly infused with antiracist activism, it is itself racist). More important, the brand of anti-racism suggested for these courses (have a look at the “Advancing Inclusion” booklet) is extreme authoritarian Leftist, and brooks no dissent.

But the biology class is not the place to propagandize students. It is a place to learn biology... MORE - details)

Influential paper linking recessions and left-wing voting patterns retracted
https://retractionwatch.com/2023/01/18/i...ore-126415

EXCERPTS: A highly cited economics paper that suggested people raised during recessions were more likely to vote for left-leaning political parties has been retracted, apparently due to a coding error that rendered the results invalid.

[...] The paper, “Growing up in a Recession,” was published in November 2013. It has been cited 222 times, according to Clarivate’s Web of Science. Working papers from the World Bank and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development have also cited the article... (MORE - missing details)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Defending science against social justice dogmatism and identitarianism C C 0 67 Feb 26, 2024 07:17 AM
Last Post: C C
  Article Is evolutionary biology racist? C C 0 60 Jul 21, 2023 06:45 AM
  Article Political subversion of biology + Transgender detransition a taboo topic, but on rise C C 0 62 Jun 21, 2023 10:17 AM
  A once respected biology journal indicts evolutionary biology for ableism C C 0 157 Dec 30, 2022 03:54 PM
  A political ideology infused paper on how to teach college biology C C 0 300 Oct 20, 2022 12:44 AM
  On menthol cigarettes, social justice theory shouldn’t trump science + Climate sci C C 0 87 Jul 27, 2021 07:56 PM
  Update of the Harriet Hall book review retraction of Abigail Shrier's book C C 1 129 Jul 17, 2021 09:38 AM