Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Television "healing" on the 700 Club

Magical Realist Offline
Is it just me or does the practice of 700 Club hosts praying for viewers they "sense" have a medical problem come off as flagrantly disingenuous and fake? Every day they close their program with this (see video below), claiming they are healing random people with problems they have basically pulled out of their own ass. Naturally out of the millions of viewers watching there will be some that have that problem so it appears like they are praying about them personally. They even read mail from viewers claiming they were healed at that moment. Chalk that up to the placebo effect. Nothing but charlatans operating under the cloak of religion imo. Is there no low to which televangelists will not stoop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUzSRaoD-ps
C C Offline
The list is long when it comes to television evangelists who were cashing in, frauds in some way, or inserting their progeny-maker where it wasn't supposed to be: Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart, Peter Popoff, Ted Haggard, Tony and Susan Alamo, Robert Tilto, Billy James Hargis, Marcus Lamb, Ernest Angley, etc.

Don't want to sweepingly declare that they're all corrupt or exploiters, but it's probably a good idea to be cynical more times than not.
Zinjanthropos Offline
A lot of the charlatans could be actors supplementing their incomes, agreeing to undergo hypnosis or do anything to get the cash flowing. If I was an insurance fraud investigator then I would be glued to the TV for the healing moments or at least taping the show. Is there a misconception television viewers have about studio audiences? IOW is there a preconceived notion that they are all honest folk?
Syne Offline
While I don't condone conning people, at least the placebo effect provides real relief.
No way to tell how much these people buy their own BS.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  700 year old saint myth part true? + Solving Easter Island population puzzle C C 0 233 Sep 25, 2017 10:02 PM
Last Post: C C