Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Social media is saving you from profound levels of boredom and it's a problem

C C Offline
https://www.sciencealert.com/technology-...-a-problem

INTRO: The constant distraction of social media could be preventing our minds from settling into a deeper, more complete feeling of boredom, according to a new study. Which is a shame, given complete boredom can be fertile grounds for innovation.

This 'profound' level of boredom is different to the initial, superficial level of tedium we experience when waiting at a bus stop or waiting for a television program to start. Yet this initial dip into monotony can be instantly dispelled with a check of Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok or Facebook, meaning our boredom levels never progress into a zone of creativity.

"Profound boredom may sound like an overwhelmingly negative concept but, in fact, it can be intensely positive if people are given the chance for undistracted thinking and development," says Timothy Hill, a sociologist at the University of Bath in the UK.

"We must recognize that the pandemic was a tragic, destructive, consuming experience for thousands of less fortunate people, but we are all familiar with the stories of those in lockdown who found new hobbies, careers, or directions in life." (MORE - details)
Magical Realist Offline
“That's right,' she told the girls. 'You are bored. And I'm going to let you in on a little secret about life. You think it's boring now? Well, it only gets more boring. The sooner you learn it's on you to make life interesting, the better off you'll be.”
― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette
Syne Offline
Smart or productive people never get bored, with or without the internet.
Yazata Offline
(Dec 30, 2022 03:52 PM)C C Wrote: INTRO: The constant distraction of social media could be preventing our minds from...

Maybe because I wasn't born in the 21'st century, I can't help thinking that all this talk about "social media" is overblown and exaggerated.

But then, every kid that I see is staring at a cell-phone constantly, so maybe there is something to it.

Sometimes I feel like one of the last normal human beings, from before everyone else became a cell-phone zombie.

I own a cell phone but I rarely carry it with me. It's normally turned off.
Syne Offline
I don't do social media and usually only use my phone for talk and text. I even try to remember things myself before running to Google for answers.
Relying heavily on the hive-mind has to be detrimental to cognitive development, capacity, and utility. Social media often seems to do the same thing for emotions. Whether it's humor, validation, drama, etc., people can get those affects without doing anything themselves, in real life. This can make people delusional about real life, expecting that they can get or achieve more than they actually can.
Magical Realist Offline
(Dec 31, 2022 06:19 AM)Yazata Wrote:
(Dec 30, 2022 03:52 PM)C C Wrote: INTRO: The constant distraction of social media could be preventing our minds from...

Maybe because I wasn't born in the 21'st century, I can't help thinking that all this talk about "social media" is overblown and exaggerated.

But then, every kid that I see is staring at a cell-phone constantly, so maybe there is something to it.

Sometimes I feel like one of the last normal human beings, from before everyone else became a cell-phone zombie.

I don't own a cellphone. Never have and never will. It's one of my last neo-luddite holdouts against the encroaching invasion of superfluous technology into our lives. I have never liked phones anyway. They are so intrusive, demanding our attention and interrupting our activities. I remain human to the extent that I stay in charge of what I choose to engage with.
Leigha Offline
I think social media while it has its positives, can turn into a time waster more than a benefit. It often can be a way to procrastinate when you should be doing something else of way more value. I’m very bad at procrastinating (or good at it? hmm …) so, it’s easy to just get lost scrolling through nonsense in my feed and put off tasks that are important. Even forum scrolling can fall into this category, at times.

I’m thinking that most people use social media (unless they’re making money from it) in a similar way. It can feel like you’re doing something productive by posting and offering support to someone etc but in reality, you’re not accomplishing much at all. I’m trying to get this art hobby I’ve started last year, to become part-time income and it probably would be well on its way if I didn’t succumb to online distractions.

Dear diary…

(Dec 31, 2022 07:48 PM)Magical Realist Wrote:

I don't own a cellphone. Never have and never will. It's one of my last neo-luddite holdouts against the encroaching invasion of superfluous technology into our lives. I have never liked phones anyway. They are so intrusive, demanding our attention and interrupting our activities. I remain human to the extent that I stay in charge of what I choose to engage with.
Suppose you’re stuck somewhere and need help? You could use a cell phone for only emergencies. Interesting that you don’t own one, MR! ^_^
Magical Realist Offline
(Jan 2, 2023 05:00 PM)Leigha Wrote: I think social media while it has its positives, can turn into a time waster more than a benefit. It often can be a way to procrastinate when you should be doing something else of way more value. I’m very bad at procrastinating (or good at it? hmm …) so, it’s easy to just get lost scrolling through nonsense in my feed and put off tasks that are important. Even forum scrolling can fall into this category, at times.

I’m thinking that most people use social media (unless they’re making money from it) in a similar way. It can feel like you’re doing something productive by posting and offering support to someone etc but in reality, you’re not accomplishing much at all. I’m trying to get this art hobby I’ve started last year, to become part-time income and it probably would be well on its way if I didn’t succumb to online distractions.

Dear diary…

Suppose you’re stuck somewhere and need help? You could use a cell phone for only emergencies. Interesting that you don’t own one, MR! ^_^

I have a 911 caller in the glove compartment of my car. As for getting stuck somewhere, I think I'll do what we all did before cellphones were invented and just rely on the courtesy of strangers..Smile
Leigha Offline
(Jan 2, 2023 08:41 PM)Magical Realist Wrote:
(Jan 2, 2023 05:00 PM)Leigha Wrote: I think social media while it has its positives, can turn into a time waster more than a benefit. It often can be a way to procrastinate when you should be doing something else of way more value. I’m very bad at procrastinating (or good at it? hmm …) so, it’s easy to just get lost scrolling through nonsense in my feed and put off tasks that are important. Even forum scrolling can fall into this category, at times.

Dear diary…

I have a 911 caller in the glove compartment of my car. As for getting stuck somewhere, I think I'll do  what we all did before cellphones were invented and just rely on the courtesy of strangers..Smile
I've never heard of a '911 caller.' Hmm, interesting. I think if social media went dark for say 90 days, the courtesy of many a stranger might return. I believe it has been one of the main causes of political tension in the US.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social media use linked to inflammation levels, study finds C C 1 23 Jan 8, 2024 02:37 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Research Right-wing social media benefited from high-profile bans on mainstream platforms C C 1 114 Oct 26, 2023 11:32 PM
  Negative attitudes towards elderly have profound effect on society (ageism community) C C 1 80 Jun 17, 2022 01:13 AM
Last Post: RainbowUnicorn
  How to stop doomscrolling news and social media C C 4 196 Jan 5, 2022 12:07 AM
  Are people lying more since the rise of social media and smartphones? C C 0 71 Nov 16, 2021 09:11 PM
Last Post: C C
  The dark side of social media networks C C 0 78 Oct 14, 2021 04:24 PM
  Social media's rewards magnify expressions of outrage C C 1 101 Aug 17, 2021 05:45 PM
Last Post: Leigha
  Social media use driven by search for reward, akin to animals seeking food + OCimpact C C 1 120 Feb 28, 2021 02:30 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Trump to undermine own supporters with social media stifling? C C 0 117 May 28, 2020 11:33 PM
  Health professionals need to be cautious on social media (online community) C C 0 246 Jun 25, 2019 05:58 PM