Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Will someone come to my aid? (C++ and apps)

Ostronomos Offline
I am hoping that one of you might have extensive knowledge of C++ and creating an app using an IDE. I invented an app with million dollar potential but have not gotten it up and running let alone in the app store. I created it when I was high.

I want this app to simply display 3 pages of content in text format. Am I supposed to create a separate header file for the text and then write the code in another file? And use a member function to call the file that the text was saved on? If so, how do I do this?

I do not wish to take an istream just and ostream. Should I use the getline function? If so, what would that look like?
confused2 Offline
There's an example of reading (and writing) a file here:
https://www.w3schools.com/cpp/cpp_files.asp

You don't need to use header files for your program if it is only one file - you create headers to link small bits into one large program.

Probably you don't want your output displayed in a terminal window - for an 'app' it needs to be pretty with buttons and windows and such-like.
I don't know of a free (or not free) C++ IDE that does graphics. The Lazarus IDE creates windows and buttons by just drag and drop - a sort of alien technology in the C++ universe but it creates pascal code which is nice and easy to write but not as fashionable as C++. Lazarus is free and has served me well for the last 10 years.
Syne (or other) might be able to suggest a worthwhile IDE to create 'apps' for C++.

Download Lazarus IDE here:
https://www.lazarus-ide.org/
Syne Offline
You'd think such a "genius" could figure out how to use Google and access all the answers already out there.
confused2 Offline
In fairness - if you don't know what you're looking for - you don't stand much chance of finding it. Servers, html, php, javascript, sql .. many many things you need to know to get an 'app' out there.
Syne Offline
Not really. As long as you know which language you intend to use, any specific answers are pretty easy to find. Especially if you're a "genius."
All the basics of app design have been done before, and there's plenty of tutorials out there for just about any language.
Zinjanthropos Offline
I wonder if a genius can create something a genius doesn’t know how to create?
Syne Offline
(Dec 18, 2022 05:46 AM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: I wonder if a genius can create something a genius doesn’t know how to create?

When you're high, you sure can believe it's possible.

Then you sober up...and start asking smarter people to help you.
confused2 Offline
"Standing on the shoulders of idiots" doesn't have quite the same ring to it as "Standing on the shoulders of giants".
Ostronomos Offline
(Dec 17, 2022 11:46 PM)confused2 Wrote: There's an example of reading (and writing) a file here:
https://www.w3schools.com/cpp/cpp_files.asp

You don't need to use header files for  your program if it is only one file - you create headers to link small bits into one large program.

Probably you don't want your output displayed in a terminal window - for an 'app'  it needs to be pretty with buttons and windows and such-like.
I don't know of a free (or not free) C++ IDE that does graphics. The Lazarus IDE creates windows and buttons by just drag and drop - a sort of alien technology in the C++ universe but it creates pascal code which is nice and easy to write but not as fashionable as C++. Lazarus is free and has served me well for the last 10 years.
Syne (or other) might be able to suggest a worthwhile IDE to create 'apps' for C++.

Download Lazarus IDE here:
https://www.lazarus-ide.org/

So I will be storing string text in the app, as a string variable. So far I tried to use the getline function and word object but the IDE gave me a weird error message.

Can I do this all in one header file? If so, I want to know which preprocessor variable header guards I will be needing (#define, #ifdef, or #ifndef). And do we need to write these header guards out in each and every file we create? Also, what will I need to charge people for the app and as well, how do I get the app from the IDE to Android?
Syne Offline
Baby bird needs spoon feeding.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pre-written code for apps that display text alone? Ostronomos 3 104 Jan 15, 2023 10:23 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Can someone explain the #Import preprocessor variable? Ostronomos 0 120 Sep 30, 2022 04:42 PM
Last Post: Ostronomos
  SV warned not to aid Chinese military + He helped invent AI, rebuffs ‘killer robots’ C C 0 319 Mar 29, 2019 07:10 PM
Last Post: C C