Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Amazing Photos from Apollo 17

Yazata Offline
Eugene Cernan in the Lunar Module on the Moon's surface. Two Moon-suits are visible behind him. It must have been hard to get in and out of their space suits in that cramped little space. Looks like he's smudged with Moon-dust that probably was clinging to the outside of the suits as they struggled with them.

[Image: AS17-134-20524Pan_Credit-NASA_JSC_ASU_An...00x400.jpg]
[Image: AS17-134-20524Pan_Credit-NASA_JSC_ASU_An...00x400.jpg]

Harrison Schmitt inside the Lunar Module during checkouts on the way to the Moon. The Lunar Module's control panel is visible. It looks like an airplane style arrangement with control sticks and throttle in the middle. The thing he's looking through is a light-meter.

[Image: Apollo-17-1350-II-Schmitt-Minolta_Credit...80x746.jpg]
[Image: Apollo-17-1350-II-Schmitt-Minolta_Credit...80x746.jpg]

Harrison Schmitt and the Moon Car at the edge of a crater

[Image: AS17-137-21004_Credit-NASA_JSC_ASU_Andy-...80x342.jpg]
[Image: AS17-137-21004_Credit-NASA_JSC_ASU_Andy-...80x342.jpg]

Zinjanthropos Offline
Looking at that bottom photo and the moon doesn’t seem to have any sharp/angular features, everything looks a bit rounded like an old mountain range. Is this normal for the moon landscape and why is it so?
Yazata Offline
(Jan 20, 2023 03:56 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Looking at that bottom photo and the moon doesn’t seem to have any sharp/angular features, everything looks a bit rounded like an old mountain range. Is this normal for the moon landscape and why is it so?

I think that jagged alpine scenery is mostly the result of erosion. Wind, rain and mostly ice. Glaciers carve those alpine valleys.

There isn't any air, water or ice on the moon. Just periodic meteors. So Earth-type erosion doesn't happen.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Jan 22, 2023 05:41 AM)Yazata Wrote:
(Jan 20, 2023 03:56 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Looking at that bottom photo and the moon doesn’t seem to have any sharp/angular features, everything looks a bit rounded like an old mountain range. Is this normal for the moon landscape and why is it so?

I think that jagged alpine scenery is mostly the result of erosion. Wind, rain and mostly ice. Glaciers carve those alpine valleys.

There isn't any air, water or ice on the moon. Just periodic meteors. So Earth-type erosion doesn't happen.

I understand the no erosion part. I was thinking more along the lines of shock waves from meteor impacts breaking things up and settling the moon dust but not sure if that’s a possibility.
confused2 Offline
(Jan 22, 2023 01:43 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote:
(Jan 22, 2023 05:41 AM)Yazata Wrote:

I understand the no erosion part. I was thinking more along the lines of shock waves from meteor impacts breaking things up and settling the moon dust but not sure if that’s a possibility.

Electrostatic levitation of dust?.

Quote:A new study may explain how dust particles on the moon "levitate" just above the surface, even though there is no wind or flowing water on the moon to kick-up the material.

In a recent laboratory study, researchers found that micron-size dust particles could "jump" several centimeters high under ultraviolet (UV) radiation or exposure to plasmas (electrically charged gas), said a statement from NASA. This finding may help researchers better understand how lunar dust is transported across vast regions of the moon and other airless bodies, according to the statement.

https://www.space.com/35240-moon-dust-le...study.html
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Jan 23, 2023 12:05 AM)confused2 Wrote: Electrostatic levitation of dust?.

Quote:A new study may explain how dust particles on the moon "levitate" just above the surface, even though there is no wind or flowing water on the moon to kick-up the material.

In a recent laboratory study, researchers found that micron-size dust particles could "jump" several centimeters high under ultraviolet (UV) radiation or exposure to plasmas (electrically charged gas), said a statement from NASA. This finding may help researchers better understand how lunar dust is transported across vast regions of the moon and other airless bodies, according to the statement.

https://www.space.com/35240-moon-dust-le...study.html

Like it.

Those particles will mingle with water according to this. Looks like a lot goes on above the lunar surface to shape it.

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/13078#:~:text=...r%20below.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Corey Bass's Apollo Moon Landing Video Yazata 0 168 Dec 10, 2022 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yazata