Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sabine Hossenfelder: ‘There are quite a few areas where physics blurs into religion’

C C Offline
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022...multiverse

INTRO: Sabine Hossenfelder is a German theoretical physicist who writes books and runs a YouTube channel (with 618,000 subscribers at time of writing) called Science Without the Gobbledygook. Born in Frankfurt, she studied mathematics at the Goethe Universität and went on to focus on particle physics – her PhD explored the possibility that the Large Hadron Collider would produce microscopic black holes. She is now a research fellow at the Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies, where she leads a group studying quantum gravity. Her second book, Existential Physics: A Scientist’s Guide to Life’s Biggest Questions, came out in August.

EXCERPTS: The first question you ask the physicists you interview in the book is: “Are you religious?” How about you?

I tried to be religious when I was a teenager. I was not Christianised because my parents were both atheists, but all of my friends were Christian, so I went to church with them. And I kind of liked it – the singing, the social events. I considered joining, but

[...] You write that a lot of research in physics, such as hypotheses for the early universe, is “religion masquerading as science under the guise of mathematics”. Could you elaborate on that?

There are quite a few areas where the foundations of physics blur into religion, but physicists don’t notice because they’re not paying attention. It’s a lack of education in the philosophy of science in general.

For example, the most commonly accepted story about the beginning of the universe is the big bang, and to some extent this is really just the simplest way you can extrapolate the equations into the past – and then you can add inflation, which is an exponential phase of expansion; or, like Roger Penrose, you can make it a cyclic universe. But maybe it was a big bounce, or it started with the collision of membranes.

These ideas are all possible – they’re all compatible with the observations that we have. But I would call them ascientific – the kind of idea that evidence says nothing for nor against.

Is it just as reasonable to say that God or some other higher power created the universe?

That’s a tough question. There is a difference between them in the sense that the theories that physicists work with are mathematical in nature, whereas the God hypothesis is not a maths thing... (MORE - missing details)
Magical Realist Offline
Physics may blur with religion, at least the mystical kind, in the awe that strikes scientists from the mathematical order of the world. I know Einstein held reverence for the intricate orderedness of the cosmos, marveling that there is a higher Mind behind it (see below). Famous mathematicians like Georg Cantor likewise acknowledged the Divine foundations of mathematical laws and equations. I think it all points to a deeply rooted fact that reality is partially generated by the mind. Not necessarily a conscious god, but maybe some sort of cosmic pantheistic consciousness. Not so much a theism as a panpsychic dualism of sorts.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man." (Albert Einstein)

"I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. "(Albert Einstein, 1954)

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings." (Albert Einstein)

"What surpasses all that is finite and transfinite is no Genus; it is the single, completely individual unity in which everything is included, which includes the Absolute, incomprehensible to the human understanding. This is the Actus Purissimus, which by many is called God."--Georg Cantor

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Early use of "religio" referred to having "responsibility in all areas of life" C C 1 131 Jan 15, 2020 06:56 AM
Last Post: Anu
  No secrets from God: AI's superhuman cognition expands into new areas C C 1 296 Sep 12, 2017 06:48 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Guns and Zombies: Gimme that end-time religion, Gimme that end-time religion C C 2 849 Oct 28, 2015 09:04 PM
Last Post: C C