1. STRIP : MÖBIUS :: BOTTLE : ?KLEIN
2. THOUGHT : ACTION :: OBSESSIVE : ?COMPULSIVE
3. LACKING MONEY : PENURIOUS :: DOTING ON ONE'S WIFE : ?JEALOUS
4. MICE : MEN :: CABBAGES : ?ROSES
5. TIRE : RETREAD :: PARCHMENT : ?REWRITE
6. ALL IS ONE : MONISM :: ALL IS SELF : ?EGOISM
7. SWORD : DAMOCLES :: BED : ?DIONYSUS
8. THING : DANGEROUS :: SPRING : ?
9. HOLLOW VICTORY : PYRRHIC :: HOLLOW VILLAGE : ?
10. PILLAR : OBELISK :: MONSTER : ?
11. 4 : HAND :: 9 : ?
12. GOLD : MALLEABLE :: CHALK : ?BRITTLE
13. EASY JOB : SINECURE :: GUIDING LIGHT : ?
14. LEG : AMBULATE :: ARM : ?UNDULATE
15. MOSQUITO : MALARIA :: CANNIBALISM : ?
16. HEAR : SEE :: TEMPORAL : ?
17. ASTRONOMY AND PHYSICS : ASTROPHYSICS :: HISTORY AND STATISTICS : ?
18. JEKYLL : HYDE :: ELOI : ?MORLOCKS
19. UNIVERSE : COSMO- :: UNIVERSAL LAWS : ?
20. SET OF SETS NOT MEMBERS OF THEMSELVES : RUSSELL :: DARKNESS OF THE NIGHT SKY IN AN INFINITE UNIVERSE : 
21. TEACHING : UPLIFTING :: PEDAGOGIC : ?
22. LANGUAGE GAMES : LUDWIG :: PIANO CONCERTI FOR THE LEFT HAND : ?
23. IDOLS : TWILIGHT :: MORALS : ?
24. SWEETNESS : SUFFIX :: BOATSWAIN : ?

ARE MY ANSWERS CORRECT?
Ostronomos Offline
I put RESEAL for 5.

I think I scored about 8 or 9. Not sure.

I also put Potempik village.

I could swear sometimes it feels like my intelligence is increasing.
confused2 Offline
1. STRIP : MÖBIUS :: BOTTLE : ?KLEIN
2. THOUGHT : ACTION :: OBSESSIVE : ?COMPULSIVE
3. LACKING MONEY : PENURIOUS :: DOTING ON ONE'S WIFE : ?loving
4. MICE : MEN :: CABBAGES : ?Kings (Walrus and carpenter reference)
5. TIRE : RETREAD :: PARCHMENT : ?REWRITE
6. ALL IS ONE : MONISM :: ALL IS SELF : ?EGOISM
7. SWORD : DAMOCLES :: BED : ? Nails
8. THING : DANGEROUS :: SPRING : ?Eternal
9. HOLLOW VICTORY : PYRRHIC :: HOLLOW VILLAGE : ? ?
10. PILLAR : OBELISK :: MONSTER : ? ?
11. 4 : HAND :: 9 : ? Backhand
12. GOLD : MALLEABLE :: CHALK : ?Soft,hard ??? (brittle looked good too)
13. EASY JOB : SINECURE :: GUIDING LIGHT : Inspiration
14. LEG : AMBULATE :: ARM : ?UNDULATE Manipulate
15. MOSQUITO : MALARIA :: CANNIBALISM : ? Kuru
16. HEAR : SEE :: TEMPORAL : ? Spritual
17. ASTRONOMY AND PHYSICS : ASTROPHYSICS :: HISTORY AND STATISTICS : ?
18. JEKYLL : HYDE :: ELOI : ?MORLOCKS
19. UNIVERSE : COSMO- :: UNIVERSAL LAWS : ?
20. SET OF SETS NOT MEMBERS OF THEMSELVES : RUSSELL :: DARKNESS OF THE NIGHT SKY IN AN INFINITE UNIVERSE : Olber
21. TEACHING : UPLIFTING :: PEDAGOGIC : ? Boring
22. LANGUAGE GAMES : LUDWIG :: PIANO CONCERTI FOR THE LEFT HAND : ?Maurice
23. IDOLS : TWILIGHT :: MORALS : ?
24. SWEETNESS : SUFFIX :: BOATSWAIN : ?

A few suggestions. Quite often I think my IQ is decreasing.Sad
Zinjanthropos Offline
25. Not paying $20 for online IQ test score is to smart, as trusting online IQ test accuracy is to …….?

IMHO… You’re no smarter than you were before, however there’s no way of knowing what you would do if someone gave you 20 bucks.
Ostronomos Offline
I think 5 is RESEAL and 12 is potemkin.

Confused,

Based on my answers, how high would you estimate my IQ to be. 135? I don't think its higher based on your corrections to my answers. That is what the above post is intended for right?
Zinjanthropos Offline
Quote:. 1. STRIP : MÖBIUS :: BOTTLE : ?KLEIN

My two cents

Is the assumption to state the obvious with these tests or treat it like word association? An IQ test IMHO should require thought and logic, not just memory. Right or wrong, does it mean that much? Is there a right or wrong?

My first thought when I saw #1: How would a person who never heard of Klein, Mobius or both respond?

Sure Klein appears to be the obvious response for someone who knows a little math & science. Question is whether that’s the intelligent response.

If you’d never heard of Mobius or Klein then you can begin by focussing on “strip”. Right off the bat there’s a problem. Strip can be a verb or a noun. So you look at “bottle”….same thing. Obvious conclusion might be that words that can be a noun or verb have something to do with Mobius and perhaps that is what the test is aimed at, recognizing the similarity. Thus responding with Mobius would seem like the most logical thing to do.

If you’d only heard of Mobius and the famous one surface strip then how would you respond? Once again look at ‘bottle’, not as language but as an object. If you look closely enough you will see that a bottle has one surface (sans cap). Once again similarity and same conclusion….Mobius.

If you only knew of Klein then you might respond to bottle by using Klein and only then might you think Mobius is linked to it. But that’s a long shot. Bottle has many adjectives. Most logical response might be ‘illogical’.

#2 had me thinking same way. Thought can be a past action. Thought can also be a noun or adjective (ie thought police). Action can be an adjective or noun. Many possibilities and I couldn’t be bothered after that. The first two made me think and that’s always good. No offence, just the way I see it.
Ostronomos Offline
(Nov 5, 2022 01:49 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote:
Quote:.  1. STRIP : MÖBIUS :: BOTTLE : ?KLEIN 

My two cents

Is the assumption to state the obvious with these tests or treat it like word association? An IQ test IMHO should require thought and logic, not just memory. Right or wrong, does it mean that much? Is there a right or wrong?

My first thought when I saw #1: How would a person who never heard of Klein, Mobius or both respond?

Sure Klein appears to be the obvious response for someone who knows a little math & science. Question is whether that’s the intelligent response.

If you’d never heard of Mobius or Klein then you can begin by focussing on “strip”. Right off the bat there’s a problem. Strip can be a verb or a noun. So you look at “bottle”….same thing. Obvious conclusion might be that words that can be a noun or verb have something to do with Mobius and perhaps that is what the test is aimed at, recognizing the similarity. Thus responding with Mobius would seem like the most logical thing to do.

If you’d only heard of Mobius and the famous one surface strip then how would you respond? Once again look at ‘bottle’, not as language but as an object. If you look closely enough you will see that a bottle has one surface (sans cap). Once again similarity and same conclusion….Mobius.

If you only knew of Klein then you might respond to bottle by using Klein and only then might you think Mobius is linked to it. But that’s a long shot. Bottle has many adjectives. Most logical response might be ‘illogical’.

#2 had me thinking same way. Thought can be a past action. Thought can also be a noun or adjective (ie thought police). Action can be an adjective or noun. Many possibilities and I couldn’t be bothered after that. The first two made me think and that’s always good. No offence, just the way I see it.

Yes. The most immediate response in the first analogy might be something expected of a 120 IQ individual and the second a 123 IQ individual. Those questions clearly highlight the limitations of someone at that level. But they are general knowledge questions clearly related to physics and/or math. I disagree with your alternative answer. IQ tests are intended to measure cognitive processes and the mental steps it takes to reach a conclusion if I'm not mistaken.
confused2 Offline
A while back I did a very tedious internet 100 question IQ test with triangles and dots as well as cat is to dog as fruit is to: ?. I think some vaguely reputable organisation was involved (a university?) - it was free but I think you had to give your email address to get the result. I scored over 120 so not stoopid but hardly brilliant either. This was possibly prompted by an SF thread but I can't find it there now.
Looking back I'd say my rate of achievement (or lack thereof) was more the result of chronic to acute laziness rather than lack of a spectacularly high IQ.
Syne Offline
(Nov 4, 2022 06:02 PM)Ostronomos Wrote: Based on my answers, how high would you estimate my IQ to be. 135? I don't think its higher based on your corrections to my answers. That is what the above post is intended for right?

Wait, you think a 135 IQ is high?

Pfft.
Zinjanthropos Offline
Take your pick…

Quote: Wile E. Coyote:
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote: Genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college.

2004….Hawking said he had no idea what his IQ level was and also said those who boast about theirs are losers. (Estimated 160’s)

Anonymous?: The person who invented the wheel was an idiot. The one who invented the other three was a genius.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Doing without an upvoting or ''like'' option Leigha 3 442 Jul 7, 2019 07:21 PM
Last Post: Leigha
  5 Things Every Mother Should Start Doing For HERSELF C C 0 492 May 5, 2016 05:37 AM
Last Post: C C
  8 Things Retail Workers Really Want You To Know But Can’t Directly Tell You C C 1 638 Apr 4, 2016 01:45 AM
Last Post: Yazata