Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Religious(?) mystery of the headless goats in the Chattahoochee River

C C Offline
https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-fr...ttahoochee

EXCERPTS: . . . But that morning in October, Ulseth said, marked the beginning of the Chattahoochee’s headless-goat era. “After that, I found them there pretty much every single time I’d go out,” he told me. “Just bodies, never heads. Sometimes dozens.” Ulseth estimates that in the roughly four years since that day he’s found around five hundred decapitated goats in the Chattahoochee.

Others have found them, too. “Half the time we boat by the bridge, I smell them,” Matt Robinson, a local fishing guide, told me. He’s seen hundreds, he said, including thirty on a single trip. “I’m sure some catfish or some turtles chew on them once in a while,” he added. “They’re pretty big animals.”

A few years ago, Robinson introduced Ulseth to a man who was living under the I-20 bridge, who called himself Hot Dog. Hot Dog took pictures and videos of the goats on a cell phone, sometimes capturing the moment they were flung from the highway. He told Robinson that the goats were usually freshly killed, and he shared some of his photos with Ulseth, who showed them to me: headless goat carcasses falling from the sky. “They just go plop,” Ulseth said. “Could be two in the morning or two in the afternoon.”

[...] The case of the headless goats is a mystery. It’s also a public-health hazard, and a nightmare for a stretch of river that’s newly safe for recreation—the water south of Atlanta is dramatically less polluted than it was decades ago, thanks in large part to C.R.K.’s work.

[...] One theory about the headless goats of the Chattahoochee focusses on the Afro-Caribbean religious tradition Santería, also known as Lukumí and La Regla de Ocha. The practice sometimes involves animal sacrifice...

[...] Drug smugglers have long attempted to exploit religion for their own purposes, Almonte said. “Back in the day, on raids, we’d mostly see shrines and altars,” he told me. “But it usually consisted of prayer candles related to the Catholic Church.”

Now, he said, “you’re seeing more cartel traffickers using Santería” and Palo Mayombe, an Afro-Caribbean religious tradition, as well as a Latin American practice called Santa Muerte. The traffickers are not necessarily well schooled in these traditions, Almonte noted—he told me that when he shows pictures of headless goats that have been found to experts in Santería, “They often say, ‘Yeah, this guy doesn’t know what he’s doing.’”

[...] Almonte figures that Mexican cartel operators could be sacrificing goats for safe passage to or from Atlanta, and dumping them in the river. He said that he wouldn’t be surprised if the G.B.I. or the F.B.I. is investigating the connection between the goats and drug trafficking...

[...] “There are certain religious traditions where animal sacrifices are made to gain enough power to accomplish something,” De La Torre said. “The strongest energy, the strongest power, is in blood. But I’m always a little hesitant when a dead animal is found and it’s connected to Santería.” Many of those who study Santería are frustrated by the eagerness of outsiders to connect any unexplained dead animal to the practices of this tradition...

[...] De La Torre conceded that the headless goats could be the work of spiritual opportunists, “copycatting Santería” for their own purposes. “Drug dealers who are not part of the religion but are making it up as they go along based on what they read on the Web,” as he put it. He offered an analogy. “It’s like not knowing anything about Catholicism and bathing in holy water because you think it’s gonna help you.”

[...] we came upon a decapitated goat, caught in a pile of trash between a downed tree and the riverbank. “This one was probably dumped over the weekend,” Ulseth told us. ... In the next hour, we found six headless goats. “I just got punched in the face,” Ulseth said as we approached the reeking sequel to the first. It was covered in flies and maggots... (MORE - missing details)
Zinjanthropos Online
You’d think that somewhere there’s either a pile of goat heads or a goat farm that’s doing well or missing goats. At first I thought of Haitian Voodoo then I remembered a Caribbean delicacy so also look for a popular Jamaican restaurant although they would probably also use the rest of the carcass. Then again with aliens mutilating cattle on the west coast, the east coast variety may favour beheading goats and seeing how big a splash they make when dropped.

There’s a game they play on horseback in Afghanistan (Buzkhasi)where the object is to maneuver a headless goat carcass into a goal, not a river, unless the rules have changed. Anyone have yesterday’s score, it was Cup Final Day and I made a bet with a bookie.

I’m leaning towards the Voodoo aspect but here’s a recipe you might like…

Quote:. GOATHEAD SOUP AKA MANNISH WATER
Jamaican Restaurant in The Bronx Serving the Best Goathead Soup

​Jamaican-Style Goat Head Soup (Mannish Water)

Though it seems deceptively simple to make, most people have never tried Jamaican-style goat head soup. Also called mannish water, this dish is traditionally cooked outside over a wood fire. It gets its name from the fact that it’s prepared by men most of the time and has some "special" benefits, but we think it’s good for everyone.

Widely regarded as an aphrodisiac, mannish water is made from the goat’s head, intestines, testicles, and feet. These parts are carefully washed before they’re roasted over a fire. The meat is cut into pieces and mixed with coco, yam, green bananas, carrots, dumplings, Scotch bonnet peppers. Then, it’s cooked slow and low until it becomes the flavorful dish we all love. Goat head soup gets its signature flavor from the green bananas, as well as the smoked goat meat.

Mannish water is usually served as an appetizer, and it’s a popular choice at parties and weddings. We’ll serve it in a soup bowl with the sides of your choice. From the lines on Saturday it is easy to see why we have the best goathead soup in the Bronx!

RECIPE YOU CAN TRY TODAY!

Sometimes you just want to stay at home and not go to a Jamaican restaurant to try something. That's ok! While we can make the process easy for you. We prepared home cooked delicious Jamaican food 7 days a week. Just order, enjoy and eat!

But....if you want try your hand at making this dish yourself, you can find a popular recipe listed below. (we advise against this for obvious reasons, you have been warned!)

Enjoy!

Preparation time 30m
Cooking time 2hrs

Ingredients
2 pounds goat head, organs and parts
1 1/2 gallons water
Green Banana
Yam
Chayote
1/2 pound carrots, diced
1 bunch of scallions, chopped
2 scotch bonnets whole
3 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
Salt and Pepper
Noodle Soup Mix

Dumplings
2 Cups Flour
Dash of Salt
3/4 cups of water

Directions
Chop the goat head and parts into small pieces,.
Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 2 hours, until the meat is tender.
Add the remaining ingredients and cook until the vegetables are tender. Approx. 1 to 2 hours

Were any of these goats missing testicles?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NASA hires religious experts, for ETs + India's crackdown on religious minorities C C 4 138 Jan 1, 2022 01:19 AM
Last Post: stryder
  NY wants to ban religious vaccine exemptions + UK non-religious figures jump 46% C C 3 852 Apr 14, 2019 06:36 PM
Last Post: Syne
  China: religious leaders to carry religious ID cards C C 0 743 Mar 5, 2016 03:01 AM
Last Post: C C