Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

"Loving Highsmith": documentary/biography film

C C Offline
To risk straying from topic right off the bat: I wonder if anyone is ever going to make a movie about Xenia Cage, and her marriage with John Cage.

"In 1935, she married John Cage; they divorced in 1945 when a ménage à trois with Merce Cunningham became a private affair between the two men [...] In a 1992 interview, John Cage noted [...] that due to Xenia's 'barby' wit, 'if I telephone her or write to her, I take my life in my hands'."
- - - - - -

BLURB REVIEW (Rotten Tomatoes): Loving Highsmith is a unique look at the life of celebrated American author Patricia Highsmith based on her diaries and notebooks and the intimate reflections of her lovers, friends and family. Focusing on Highsmith's quest for love and her troubled identity, the film sheds new light on her life and writing.

Most of Highsmith's novels were adapted for the big screen; the best known of these are Strangers on a Train and The Talented Mr. Ripley. Carol, a partly autobiographic novel, was the first lesbian story with a happy ending to be published in 1950s America.

But Highsmith herself was forced to lead a double life and had to hide her vibrant love affairs from her family and the public. Only in her unpublished writings did she reflect on her private life. Excerpts from these notes voiced by Gwendoline Christie (Game of Thrones, Top of the Lake), beautifully interwoven with archive material of her and her most famous novel adaptions, create a vivid, touching portrait of one of the most fascinating female writers.

https://youtu.be/wB5M1CslxyY

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/wB5M1CslxyY

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sabine Hossenfelder: My dream died, and now I'm here (careers in video/film) C C 6 119 Apr 14, 2024 12:57 PM
Last Post: confused2
  Video essay on film Solaris Magical Realist 1 75 Feb 23, 2024 10:01 PM
Last Post: C C
  Research Gerry Anderson: A Life Uncharted ("biography" of the maker of "Thunderbirds", etc) C C 0 71 Apr 29, 2023 04:50 PM
  Article Adult Human Female (UK unrest revolving around the film) C C 0 64 Apr 27, 2023 05:18 PM
  Sci-fi Short Film about First Contact and the Human Response Yazata 3 142 Apr 4, 2023 08:31 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Article What happened to Flight MH370? Don’t believe what Netflix’s documentary tells you C C 0 51 Mar 20, 2023 11:06 PM
  The 100 best Film Noirs of all time C C 1 87 Nov 12, 2021 08:11 PM
  Loving Vincent Magical Realist 2 526 Sep 21, 2016 03:52 AM
  The Philip K. Dick Film Festival C C 1 632 Jun 13, 2015 02:16 AM
  On Loving Literature C C 0 509 Jan 9, 2015 01:00 AM