Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Knock, knock. Who’s there? The Jehovah’s Witnesses, at last

C C Offline
https://www.deseret.com/faith/2022/8/23/...d-pandemic

INTRO: In March 2020, Jehovah’s Witnesses around the world got a message they’d long feared receiving: They needed to stop their public ministry work.

But rather than come from hostile government officials, it came from their own church. The faith group’s leaders said Jehovah’s Witnesses should stay home so as not to catch or spread COVID-19.

“We never thought our organization would say, ‘Stop your public ministry,’” said Robert Hendriks, U.S. national spokesperson for the Jehovah’s Witnesses. “It took a few days and weeks for many of us to get our minds around it.”

The Witnesses, who are best known by non-church members for their door-knocking efforts, suddenly had to rethink their whole evangelistic strategy. They started writing letters to and calling neighbors and friends, working hard to still contact every household in their area at least once per year.

“Over the course of 2.5 years, we’ve probably written hundreds of millions of letters. Certainly tens of millions,” Hendriks said during our Zoom call, holding up a few that he’s written but not yet sent.

But soon, he and other Witnesses will be able to push their stamps and envelopes aside and hit the streets again. The church recently announced that members can resume door knocking and other forms of public ministry at the beginning of next month.

“Believe it, there will be thousands of Witnesses in this country (door knocking) on Sept. 1,” Hendriks said... (MORE - details)
Magical Realist Offline
Quote:“Believe it, there will be thousands of Witnesses in this country (door knocking) on Sept. 1,” Hendriks said... (MORE - details)

Looks like I'll have to start using my peep hole again. Smile
Zinjanthropos Offline
Can’t help it but I like it when there’s some eye candy. Then after a minute or two I feel sorry for her and start wondering how she ever got to that moment in the first place. I’m not listening to their spiel anyways. Must admit, feel pretty powerless and there’s nothing I could say to change their minds. I’m sure they feel just the opposite about their chances.

Ever discussed the Russellites or Taz Russell with them? If memory serves me, wasn’t he just avoiding the draft as a conscientious objector in WWI?
confused2 Offline
I recently got a very nice personally signed hand written letter from the local JW branch addressed to Dear Neighbour - I was quite touched. But for fear of opening the floodgates I might have written back to thank them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Russia faces fine for violating ‘fundamental rights’ of Jehovah’s Witnesses C C 0 45 Feb 23, 2022 07:29 AM
Last Post: C C