Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Scary bushcraft overnighter with attack and stalker

confused2 Offline
Sorry - predates Youtube by some years so no pictures of me being scared.

Some miles along the coast from where I live is an isolated beach accessed via a long path through trees and then a steep section down the cliffs to the beach. Over the years I've been there many times in search of solitude and glow-worms. Each time I've seen fewer glow-worms as (I guess) they've been drawn to the bright lights of the city.

For the benefit of anyone in a fox free country - they're small dog-type things which yowl instead of barking and dogshit is (apparently) one of their favourite foods. If you end up with less foxshit than dogshit this might be a good thing otherwise not.

Twas a dark and unmoonlit night - the best time to see glow-worms. I was happily walking along the tree-covered bit of the path when I trod on something squishy which suddenly erupted into a demonic howling yowling snapping incarnation of hate. I don't particularly mind being bitten by hamsters because they get so much satisfaction out of it that the pain is almost irrelevant. This doesn't apply to foxes with the possibility of rabies, foxpox and their likely approach to oral hygiene. Fleeing in total darkness isn't quite as easy as during the day though the fox could probably have outrun me anyway. Darkness was my friend - after the initial surprise I spotted a patch of light at the end of the tunnel of trees and crept towards it. The fox continued to harry the area with (most likely) the strongest scent mark and I escaped unharmed.

Safely on the beach I saw two glow worms - when I first went there there would be a dozen or more.

I don't usually take a tent - if it looks like rain I don't go out and if it rains anyway I find a dry place to sleep. When my old sleeping bag became uninhabitable and I had to buy a new one I was given the option of 'seasons' - I thought two seasons would mean it would last two years which didn't seem too bad for the price - what it actually meant was 'not very warm'. Without a tent a sleeper is less conspicuous - the casual observer could easily miss a six foot long orange slug or perhaps mistake it for a natural feature. When sleeping I take everything into the bag .. in the event of attack I could easily caterpillar away.. I just take everything into the bag.

Sleeping on this particular beach is, to say the least, spooky. Distant thunder, rocks and boulders falling from the cliffs, waves crashing down on the pebbles, unemployed sound-effects people from 'Lost' trying out new scary noises and, on this occasion, something more. In the UK we have a game that involves creeping up on the victim, we call it 'Grandmothers footsteps', in the US I think its called 'Hello Pedro'. I had the strong feeling that someone or something was playing that game with me.

The bag had a draw string at the top so you could seal yourself in - sleep would come naturally either through oxygen deprivation or CO2 poisoning. Also a zip that was difficult to do up so the main entry/exit point was through the draw-stringed top. After popping out a few times and seeing nothing I still had the 'something out there feeling'. I'm not in favour of torches at night - they give away your location and I can anticipate night and plan accordingly but occasionally they're useful. I turned the torch on and about 8 feet away was a pair of unflinching eyes reflecting light back at me **.

I threw stones at it (not proud of it). When it didn't go away I threw more stones at it. When it went away I threw even more stones at it. Then I sat up for the rest of the night in case it came back.

I assume it was planning to jump on me while I was inside the sleeping bag which would almost certainly have meant buying a new sleeping bag and several years in therapy.

Never been back to that beach.

** Eyes.
Edit Worse things happen at sea (same beach)
https://www.devonlive.com/whats-on/whats...ck-3835767
Zinjanthropos Offline
You can handle it but I’m more concerned for the glow worms. They may be endangered, climate change and all that. Little foxes around here tend to get out of the way instead of allowing someone to step on them.

https://www.glowworms.org.uk/

Remember camping in Holland and seeing the biggest slug I’d ever seen crawling about the ground. Only a kid and I got spooked by the sight. Canadian slugs are relatively small but BC has a few as big or bigger than my thumb.

There are things that go bump in the night. Several things out there to provide goosebump material for an unwary camper.

Had to walk through some forest to my friends house one Halloween night. Thought I heard something and pointed my flashlight (torch) towards the sound only to spot two big eyes and nostrils venting condensed breath. Thinking fast, pulled a candy apple from my night’s collection and tossed it in bear’s direction. It worked and I ( we) got the hell out of there.
confused2 Offline
In England the fox is probably top predator at night so it might have been poised to defend territory or attack and kill something much smaller than I turned out to be. If it was asleep it went from sleep to attack rather faster than I would have thought possible so I think it was in attack mode before I made contact with it.

The area was enchanting and perhaps even a little enchanted. The incident with the fox was perhaps a good time to stop - the next encounter with such a place might well be to be crushed by a boulder falling from the cliffs.

There is a story about flies (a nice one) that I might get round to telling one day.

My cup is full.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stealth bushcraft overnighter, with Dakota fire hole (Vanessa Blank) C C 0 61 Apr 11, 2024 11:31 PM
Last Post: C C
  Overnighter in a rainstorm (Survival Lilly) C C 0 83 Aug 6, 2023 04:54 AM
  Wild Woman Bushcraft - Vanessa Blank (video installments) C C 2 130 Feb 24, 2023 09:18 AM
  3 days SOLO survival overnighter: no tarp, no firestarter, no water (Survival Lilly) C C 0 55 Jan 31, 2023 08:11 PM
  Scary bushcraft overnighter w/o clothes in sleeping bag (WWB: Vanessa Blank) C C 0 51 Jul 31, 2022 11:07 PM
  3 days primitive bushcraft - Robinson Crusoe camp on beach (Vanessa Blank) C C 1 65 Jul 31, 2022 09:24 PM
  Bushcraft shelter with fire place inside (Part 1) - Survival Lilly C C 0 44 May 19, 2022 01:04 AM
  24h permanent bushcraft camp (WWB: Vanessa Blank) C C 0 46 May 9, 2022 11:11 PM
  trailer: Be prepared - The next level (Wild Woman Bushcraft) C C 0 61 Mar 20, 2022 04:53 AM
  Bushcraft tour, wilderness trip, forest camp, fire, minus degrees, German Shepherd C C 0 48 Mar 12, 2022 10:15 PM