Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hypofrontality and creativity

elte Offline
Krista Tippett did an episode of On Being, on the relationship between intelligence and creativity.  Her guest, Rex Jung, covers the idea of how hypofrontality can help creativity.  He also mentions how effective creativity requires both novelty and usefulness in an idea.  The usefulness needs to be apparent to the society the creator interacts with.  It can take a while for society to appreciate the creativity of a person.

Furthermore, I'm sure there are similarly many creative people who never get much, if any, notice or acknowledgement.

http://www.onbeing.org/blog/heightened-p...-down/4123
C C Offline
(Aug 24, 2015 12:20 AM)elte Wrote: [...] Furthermore, I'm sure there are similarly many creative people who never get much, if any, notice or acknowledgement.

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.” --The Panda's Thumb, Stephen Jay Gould
Magical Realist Offline
We live in a culture that suppresses creativity and imagination. From age 6 we begin to be evaluated in terms of our ability to repeat tasks, to take orders, and to comply with the norm. Kids with imagination are encouraged to achieve instead of create. To compete and define themselves in terms of trivial standards like the honor roll or sports trophies. College then comes along, your basic degree factory designed to make you a marketable and employable contributor to a capitalist society. Any creativity you might have had has to be nurtured and coddled on your own, in your alone moments reading favorite authors or writing in a secret journal or drawing in a sketch book. The gift to see things freshly and originally becomes something one cultivates on one's own, with no help from a society and an educational system that spits out one career-obsessed automaton after another.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What stops saving a friend + Their better direction sense + Creativity gender bias C C 0 465 Dec 9, 2015 06:37 AM
Last Post: C C
  Overthinking and creativity elte 1 600 Aug 30, 2015 06:34 PM
Last Post: C C