Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Humans are evolving a new artery

C C Offline
More humans are being born with a third arm artery, an example of microevolution happening right before our eyes
https://bigthink.com/health/microevolution-humans/

INTRO: When we think about human evolution, we’re usually pondering changes that happened over long periods of time, like the development of the fully opposable thumb or the transition to walking upright. But scientists in Australia have now spotted evidence of a smaller, faster “microevolution” — and this change is happening in humans right now.

The microevolution has to do with an arm artery babies develop in the womb to transport blood to their forearms and hands. By the time they’re born, this artery will have been replaced by two others — usually.

However, some people are born with all three arteries, and the rate at which that’s happening is increasing dramatically, according to the Australian scientists. After analyzing anatomical literature and dissecting the upper arms of donated cadavers, they determined that a person born in the mid-1880s had just a 10% chance of having the extra arm artery, but that someone born in the late-1900s had a 30% chance.

“This increase could have resulted from mutations of genes involved in median artery development or health problems in mothers during pregnancy, or both actually,” Teghan Lucas, a researcher from Flinders University, said in a press release.

If the trend continues, they predict the majority of people born in 2100 will have undergone this microevolution — and be better off because of it. Researcher Maciej Henneberg said the extra arm artery not only increases blood flow to the hand, but could also be used as a replacement if an artery elsewhere in the body sustains damage — it’s like a spare tire you keep in your trunk in case you get a flat, but for your circulatory system... (MORE - missing details)
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Jul 25, 2022 04:56 PM)C C Wrote: More humans are being born with a third arm artery, an example of microevolution happening right before our eyes
https://bigthink.com/health/microevolution-humans/

INTRO: When we think about human evolution, we’re usually pondering changes that happened over long periods of time, like the development of the fully opposable thumb or the transition to walking upright. But scientists in Australia have now spotted evidence of a smaller, faster “microevolution” — and this change is happening in humans right now.

The microevolution has to do with an arm artery babies develop in the womb to transport blood to their forearms and hands. By the time they’re born, this artery will have been replaced by two others — usually.

However, some people are born with all three arteries, and the rate at which that’s happening is increasing dramatically, according to the Australian scientists. After analyzing anatomical literature and dissecting the upper arms of donated cadavers, they determined that a person born in the mid-1880s had just a 10% chance of having the extra arm artery, but that someone born in the late-1900s had a 30% chance.

“This increase could have resulted from mutations of genes involved in median artery development or health problems in mothers during pregnancy, or both actually,” Teghan Lucas, a researcher from Flinders University, said in a press release.

If the trend continues, they predict the majority of people born in 2100 will have undergone this microevolution — and be better off because of it. Researcher Maciej Henneberg said the extra arm artery not only increases blood flow to the hand, but could also be used as a replacement if an artery elsewhere in the body sustains damage — it’s like a spare tire you keep in your trunk in case you get a flat, but for your circulatory system... (MORE - missing details)

OK, I’ll bite. Manual dexterity and blood flow to the hands is not only essential for today’s keyboard punching mobile phone and computer users that the evolution of the extra artery does not surprise. If a sedentary lifestyle eventually leads to poor diet and circulation problems then at least there’ll be a spare artery available. Extra artery must be improving our survival chances I guess.
Kornee Offline
The premise is imo complete and utter BS. There is simply way insufficient time, even assuming a Darwinian evolutionary 'Galapagos finch beak' scenario.
Instead, get one's head into sanity mode and look for a realistic explanation. The first one is biased statistics - i.e. survey sampling was skewed somehow.

The second one, probably more likely and decidedly more ominous, is that we are witnessing the effects of mass immigration. Into 'formerly white' nations, but nowhere else. Kalergi Plan in full swing.
Maybe a check on the latter would be an unbiased survey of Ashkenazim Israeli Jews 'third artery' prevalence. I predict no statistically significant change - there. Ties in very much to said Kalergi Plan.

PS - It was recently presented on Australia's very own uber-multicultural supremacist channel SBS that Australia has now transitioned to a nation (actually, now just a polyglot landmass named Australia) where more than half the residents were born overseas or were immediate descendants of such.
THAT almost certainly explains the supposed 'evolutionary trend'. Sure. Just redefine 'evolution' to incorporate racial mixing. Simples!
C C Offline
(Jul 26, 2022 03:57 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: OK, I’ll bite. Manual dexterity and blood flow to the hands is not only essential for today’s keyboard punching mobile phone and computer users that the evolution of the extra artery does not surprise. If a sedentary lifestyle eventually leads to poor diet and circulation problems then at least there’ll be a spare artery available. Extra artery must be improving our survival chances I guess.

I initially found it difficult to believe such a "mutation" could be spreading that fast in the world's population. Sure, speedier travel in the years after 1880, and wars maybe mixing populations, and various horndogs in peacetime dispensing their legacy right and left...
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Jul 27, 2022 08:30 PM)C C Wrote:
(Jul 26, 2022 03:57 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: OK, I’ll bite. Manual dexterity and blood flow to the hands is not only essential for today’s keyboard punching mobile phone and computer users that the evolution of the extra artery does not surprise. If a sedentary lifestyle eventually leads to poor diet and circulation problems then at least there’ll be a spare artery available. Extra artery must be improving our survival chances I guess.

I initially found it difficult to believe such a "mutation" could be spreading that fast in the world's population. Sure, speedier travel in the years after 1880, and wars maybe mixing populations, and various horndogs in peacetime dispensing their legacy right and left...

BS or whatever, I wouldn’t know how long it has been since it became a part of the human baby in development. In my mind it may have had thousands of years to get to the point where it is no longer shed after birth, idk. It’s an artery that apparently has been around for a long time. It didn’t just suddenly appear, at least I don’t think it has.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Research The evolving attitudes of Gen X toward evolution C C 1 71 Apr 11, 2024 03:37 AM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Research Flowers ‘giving up’ on scarce insects and evolving to self-pollinate, say scientists C C 0 122 Dec 27, 2023 06:38 PM
Last Post: C C
  Elephants evolving to be tuskless Magical Realist 6 165 Oct 28, 2021 06:56 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Atlantic salmon evolving, not growing as big -- not clear why it's probably our fault C C 0 260 Nov 19, 2018 07:22 PM
Last Post: C C
  Are elephants evolving without tusks? + Hollywood's implausible alien ecosystems C C 1 575 Dec 6, 2016 02:13 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Is Stephen Hawking right about hostile alien life evolving? C C 1 604 Oct 10, 2015 03:38 AM
Last Post: Magical Realist