Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can you die of boredom?

Leigha Offline
https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/i...death1.htm

"Scientists do know something about brain activity in high-risk, boredom-prone people. When we experience joy and excitement in a new situation, a chemical messenger or neurotransmitter, called dopamine, triggers that response in our brains. It appears that high-risk, boredom-prone people may have naturally lower levels of dopamine, meaning that they require a heightened sense of novelty to stimulate their brains [source: Schneider et al]. In this light, boredom may serve as the lackluster yin to our yang of excitement and pleasure."

I wonder what influence this aspect of our brains has had on evolution? Sounds like ''boredom'' would serve as an evolutionary advantage, considering our brains are wired for constant stimulation, and this drives creativity.
Magical Realist Online
I think we develop defense mechanisms against boredom, some dealing with creativity, others with curiosity, and others with social interactions. We probably switch into our anti-boredom modes unconsciously, feeding that craving for dopamine which triggers our sense of being bored without even knowing it.. That's how I think learning to deal with boredom has a survival advantage in keeping us open to learning and new experiences that challenge us and provoke problem-solving behaviors. Being bored and doing nothing is in itself a stagnating of our minds into old low input thought patterns and does nobody any good. It leads to the paralysis of depression and anxiety.