Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Confirmed: ugly truth about sitting too much + An emotional sign of B12 deficiency

C C Offline
An enormous international study just confirmed the ugly truth about sitting too much
https://www.sciencealert.com/around-the-...d-too-much

EXCERPT: . . . Now, a study by an international team of researchers involving more than 100,000 individuals across 21 countries has revealed people in poorer parts of the world suffer even worse effects from long days perched in one position.

While greater amounts of sitting were associated with an increased risk of mortality and cardiovascular disease in all of the populations studied, the relationship was more pronounced in low income nations like Bangladesh, India, and Zimbabwe.

Sitting for six to eight hours a day – be it at work, in a car, or in front of the television at night before heading off to bed – increases the relative risk of heart disease and premature death by around 12 to 13 percent, compared to people who sit less than four hours per day.

Bump that time up to eight hours or more, and the relative risk lurches to an astonishing 20 percent.

When the data are separated into different economic categories, sitting for more than eight hours a day in low-income and lower-middle-income countries risks a jump in death and heart disease of just under 30 percent (again, relative to sitting four hours or less).

On one hand, the study shows just how widespread the problem of reduced physical activity is. But a more serious implication is the role poverty plays in determining the ultimate impact every extra hour of sitting has on the body... (MORE - details)

An Emotional Sign Of Vitamin B12 Deficiency
https://www.spring.org.uk/2022/06/12-defi-c.php

INTRO: Feeling depressed can be a sign of vitamin B12 deficiency, a study suggests. Typical symptoms of depression, along with low mood, include difficulty concentrating and low energy and motivation.

Researchers have found that supplementation with vitamin B12 can help reduce depression symptoms. Both vitamin B12 and folate are vital to the production of critical neurotransmitters, such as serotonin and noradrenaline.

Depression is often linked to low levels of serotonin in the brain. One study has found that those with low levels of vitamin B12 are at triple the risk of developing melancholic depression... (MORE - details)
Zinjanthropos Offline
Any studies as to what people are sitting on? Buddy of mine was complaining to me that he had developed piles (hemorrhoids) by sitting too much. Told me he spent a lot of sitting time in an old leather sofa he had. The sofa had weakened springs and when you sat on it your ass went in deep below knee level. One day he got rid of it and lo and behold his piles went away after few weeks. Does what you sit on contribute to the poor health of a sitter?
Magical Realist Offline
I probably hold the world's record for sitting around. I have a recliner that's losing some of its leather from rubbing against my head. Whatever. As long as I can rest content and curious of mind I don't care when I die. I probably make up for not standing with the stress I relieve by sitting alone all by myself.

“At some point, you gotta let go, and sit still, and allow contentment to come to you.”
― Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love

“It takes a lot of time to be a genius. You have to sit around so much, doing nothing, really doing nothing.”
― Gertrude Stein *

* Gertrude Stein died at 72 of stomach cancer. Didn't seem her sitting around mattered that much in the end.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How not to die from sitting around too much Magical Realist 7 182 Oct 30, 2023 02:06 PM
Last Post: confused2
  Vitamin D deficiency leads to dementia + Forever chemicals linked to hypertension C C 0 54 Jun 14, 2022 04:40 PM
Last Post: C C
  Your walking speed a sign of dementia? + Omega-3 may lower blood pressure C C 1 80 Jun 2, 2022 06:53 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  20min of daily exercise to reach your 80s + Older adults store too much info in brain C C 0 71 Feb 15, 2022 07:44 AM
  Is 'emotional Intelligence' even a thing? Here's the science C C 4 622 Aug 15, 2021 06:34 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Astronauts on Mars missions could suffer cognitive and emotional problems C C 0 140 Mar 18, 2021 06:59 PM
  Acetaminophen induces risky behavior + Vit D deficiency can increase risk of COVID-19 C C 0 134 Sep 9, 2020 05:55 AM
  Danger of water sitting in pipes of shutdown buildings + Poisoning from disinfecting C C 0 108 Apr 22, 2020 06:24 PM
  The dangers of sitting around all day Magical Realist 9 834 Jul 23, 2019 11:43 PM
Last Post: confused2
  Drug use: A Surprising Sign Of High Intelligence C C 3 436 Sep 4, 2017 12:55 AM
Last Post: Syne