Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

J. Allen Hynek's criticism of Project Bluebook

Magical Realist Offline
A teachable moment for the recent renewed interest in investigating ufos/uaps. Hopefully the same mistakes that plagued Project Bluebook will not be repeated with these new investigations. Again, investigation not debunkery.

"Hynek was an associate member of the Robertson Panel, which recommended that UFOs needed debunking. A few years later, however, Hynek's opinions about UFOs changed, and he thought they represented an unsolved mystery deserving scientific scrutiny. As the only scientist involved with US Government UFO studies from the beginning to the end, he could offer a unique perspective on Projects Sign, Grudge, and Blue Book.

After what he described as a promising beginning with a potential for scientific research, Hynek grew increasingly disenchanted with Blue Book during his tenure with the project, leveling accusations of indifference, incompetence, and of shoddy research on the part of Air Force personnel. Hynek notes that during its existence, critics dubbed Blue Book "The Society for the Explanation of the Uninvestigated."[37]

Blue Book was headed by Ruppelt, then Captain Hardin, Captain Gregory, Major Friend, and finally Major Hector Quintanilla. Hynek had kind words only for Ruppelt and Friend. Of Ruppelt, he wrote, "In my contacts with him I found him to be honest and seriously puzzled about the whole phenomenon."[38] Of Friend, he wrote "Of all the officers I worked with in Blue Book, Colonel Friend earned my respect. Whatever private views he may have held, he was a total and practical realist, and sitting where he could see the scoreboard, he recognized the limitations of his office but conducted himself with dignity and a total lack of the bombast that characterized several of the other Blue Book heads."[39]

He held Quintanilla in especially low regard: "Quintanilla's method was simple: disregard any evidence that was counter to his hypothesis."[40] Hynek wrote that during Air Force Major Hector Quintanilla's tenure as Blue Book's director, "the flag of the utter nonsense school was flying at its highest on the mast." Hynek reported that Sergeant David Moody, one of Quintanilla's subordinates, "epitomized the conviction-before-trial method. Anything that he didn't understand or didn't like was immediately put into the psychological category, which meant 'crackpot'."

Hynek reported bitter exchanges with Moody when the latter refused to research UFO sightings thoroughly, describing Moody as "the master of the possible: possible balloon, possible aircraft, possible birds, which then became, by his own hand (and I argued with him violently at times) the probable."---- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Blue_Book
RainbowUnicorn Offline
Project Blue Book was always a propaganda machine designed to put out miss information around potential high value phenomena

it surprises me that people would think otherwise
Kornee Offline
As I wrote in another thread, expect nothing substantive to change this round. Given the focus is ostensibly at least 'national security threats'. All evidence not fitting into the mundane or possible foreign adversary craft categories will again simply be swept into the 'not yet fully explained/insufficient data' bin.

The notion that 'space aliens', let alone supernatural entities, could be a valid explanation would never fly as 'respectable' with a government funded/overseen body.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Ex-intel official: UFO reverse-engineering project should be made public C C 6 198 Jun 10, 2023 08:01 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Hairdryers & UFO marks + Report hints new research just another Project Blue Book C C 1 138 Nov 2, 2022 12:44 AM
Last Post: Kornee
  Project Identification Magical Realist 0 353 Jan 28, 2016 11:01 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist