Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How self-publishing, social media and algorithms are aiding far-right novelists

C C Offline
https://theconversation.com/how-self-pub...sts-183453

EXCERPTS: Far-right extremists pose an increasing risk in Australia and around the world. In 2020, ASIO revealed that about 40% of its counter-terrorism work involved the far right. The recent mass murder in Buffalo, U.S., and the attack in Christchurch, New Zealand, in 2019 are just two examples of many far-right extremist acts of terror.

Far-right extremists have complex and diverse methods for spreading their messages of hate. These can include through social media, video games, wellness culture, interest in medieval European history, and fiction. Novels by both extremist and non-extremist authors feature on far-right "reading lists" designed to draw people into their beliefs and normalize hate.

As literary studies scholars, our research grew out of exploring these reading lists and investigating why extremists write fiction. In 2020, we began looking at how someone who casually encountered a reading list online might access the books and pursue the ideas they contain.

We found a group of about 15 novels by self-identified neo-Nazis and other white supremacists that were known to counter-terrorism experts. Others were not. These books were disturbingly easy to get, because they were sold on sites including Amazon, Google Play, and Book Depository.

Publishing houses once refused to print such books, but changes in technology have made traditional publishers less important. With self-publishing and e-books, it is easy for extremists to produce and distribute their fiction.

In this article, we have only given the titles and authors of those books that are already notorious, to avoid publicizing other dangerous hate-filled fictions.

[...] Reading fiction is different to reading non-fiction. Fiction offers readers imaginative scenarios that can seem to be truthful, even though they are not fact-based. It can encourage readers to empathize with the emotions, thoughts and ethics of characters, particularly when they recognize those characters as being "like" them.

A novel featuring characters who become radicalized to far-right extremism, or who undertake violent terrorist acts, can help make those things seem justified and normal... (MORE - missing details)

https://youtu.be/OVWjVQ8mtZ8

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/OVWjVQ8mtZ8
Kornee Offline
Seems the definition of 'far right' has taken a radical turn left. At least that's the cursory view impression from noticing a copy of Karl Marx & Friedrich Engel's 'The Communist Manifesto" showing prominently among the 'radical far-right' 'self-published fiction' in that opening YT pic. Maybe the young neo-nazi? shown there is attempting to 'balance his views'? Poor soul. Yeah maybe I should just watch, but methinks the whole thing smells of PC beat up.

Ah ok - I ventured one minute in and the 'neo nazi'? is actually the source of fairness and balanced review. Great. Except very, very likely he will have no issue whatsoever with the overwhelmingly leftist and truly dangerous and destructive dogma s**t being pumped into the young and impressionable across the entire 'Western' educational institutions landscape. Hence way overly sensitized to 'entrenched white supremacist institutionalized injustice'. Result - endless shouting screaming tearful vigils, arson-looting riots, marches, traditional US heroes statues tearing down (well not statues of Karl Marx!). And so on. But that's ok. Not right wing extremist dogma you see.
Look I do understand there is always at least a core of genuine grievance(s) involved. Thing is though, such grievances have been systematically, cynically hijacked and distorted for purposes that will ultimately be of no benefit to the human battering rams being churned out with official approval. IMO.
C C Offline
(May 30, 2022 04:35 PM)Kornee Wrote: Seems the definition of 'far right' has taken a radical turn left. At least that's the cursory view impression from noticing a copy of Karl Marx & Friedrich Engel's 'The Communist Manifesto" showing prominently among the 'radical far-right' 'self-published fiction' in that opening YT pic. Maybe the young neo-nazi? shown there is attempting to 'balance his views'? Poor soul. Yeah maybe I should just watch, but methinks the whole thing smells of PC beat up.

He's addressing extremist literature on both sides (or whole spectrum) -- i.e., not connected with the article. Only "recent" vid I could find (sans hours of potential digging) that partially grazed the topic, and revolves around non-fiction on top of that, with exception of Rand. (Not to mention the ___ if one endures it to the end.)
Kornee Offline
(May 30, 2022 05:11 PM)C C Wrote:
(May 30, 2022 04:35 PM)Kornee Wrote: Seems the definition of 'far right' has taken a radical turn left. At least that's the cursory view impression from noticing a copy of Karl Marx & Friedrich Engel's 'The Communist Manifesto" showing prominently among the 'radical far-right' 'self-published fiction' in that opening YT pic. Maybe the young neo-nazi? shown there is attempting to 'balance his views'? Poor soul. Yeah maybe I should just watch, but methinks the whole thing smells of PC beat up.

He's addressing extremist literature on both sides (or whole spectrum) -- i.e., not connected with the article. Only "recent" vid I could find (sans hours of potential digging) that partially grazed the topic, and revolves around non-fiction on top of that.
Yes I sort of jumped the gun somewhat. See my edit in #2 above.
Leigha Offline
I would add that the extreme left does the same. Extremism is bad in either direction.
Yazata Offline
It's ironic that some of today's leading left publications began their lives as self-published alternative outlets in the 1940's, 50's, and 60's. (And guess who was funding them.) Some were targeted by Joe McCarthy who (quite correctly) accused them of communist sympathies and ties. They responded by arguing for free speech which in Monthly Review's case went all the way to the Supreme Court which ruled in their favor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monthly_Review

During the Vietnam war era we saw the Free Speech Movement at Berkeley, which insisted on the right to oppose the Vietnam war and even in many cases to support the Viet Cong who were fighting and killing US soldiers (who were spat on when they returned home).

It was all very radical and very extreme. We all saw the "people's liberation" posters featuring clenched fists waving AKs in the air. (Proudly displayed by some of the same people insisting on gun control today.) We all saw the urban riots that left cities like Los Angeles and Detroit in flames The conservative establishment of the time saw that kind of stuff as dangerous and extremist and tried to shut it down. And they are vilified to this day for having done so.

And the left fell into line defending the ideal of free speech and freedom of ideas and expression, particularly on university campuses, on what were basically liberal grounds (principles which certainly weren't recognized in the communist countries they loved so much).

The ironic part is how the whole Zeitgeist has done an abrupt 180 in just the last few years, since Obama's election which was kind of symbolic in their eyes of their victory over the culture. When the left were alternative voices raging against the capitalist system and its ideology, free speech was celebrated. (As long as it was theirs.) But today, when the left feels that it has become the system, when they are the educators, media, celebrities, government officials and opinion leaders, we are suddenly fed the old Joe McCarthy line and told that the system needs to defend itself aggressively against the voices of not the reds, but the ignorant red-neck people. Suddenly voices of dissent are attacked by the very people who were themselves those voices of dissent a generation ago and who argued so elequently that voices of dissent needed to be heard.

Suddenly it's the left who are the voices calling for educational thought control, media censorship and for silencing anyone who argues against them on the grounds that they at the very least "racists", "bigots" and "voices of hate", and if that doesn't convince people to surrender their liberties, then "terrorist threats".
C C Offline
Quote:https://theconversation.com/how-self-pub...sts-183453

[...] We found a group of about 15 novels by self-identified neo-Nazis and other white supremacists that were known to counter-terrorism experts. Others were not. These books were disturbingly easy to get [...]

It's certainly not unknown for a fictional work to allow the "bad guys" to be the protagonists and/or winners, as a twist or change of pace from the predictable, or to reinforce a warning. For instance, the dystopian regime in Orwell's "1984" was victorious over Winston Smith. 

But when such is instead something that the author actually believes in or desires -- i.e., a propaganda piece endorsing the dark side...

The Turner Diaries is pure, upfront evil. In contrast to the calculated malevolence of the far-left that disguises itself as systemic altruism or benevolence. And yet, that doesn't impede the "bible of the far-right" from proliferating. As if the generic, blunt act of baring "This is what I am!" is a virtue in every context -- the "honesty" in itself deserving to be rewarded by followers, regardless of what heinous goals it specifically relates to.

The Turner Diaries (1978)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Turner_Diaries#Plot
Kornee Offline
Had never heard of 'The Turner Diaries' till now. The narrative summary as covered by Wikipedia is imo not so much 'chilling and awful', but actually becomes, especially the last parts, a really good belly laughter experience. It's just such venting of spleen to the max, utterly over-the-top fantasizing.

A decidedly NON-fictional utterly evil scenario, that has actually happened, and continues to unfold, yet the perpetrators were and continue to be massively rewarded-not-punished for their crimes:
https://wikispooks.com/wiki/9-11/Israel_did_it (Firefox direct or via an extension blocks my connection, but Brave browser for one has no such issue.)
I've posted that link many times, and it either gets huffing-and-puffing worthless comments, or just silence. But the evidence is well documented - plenty of footnote links to follow.
Sorry if this post has become uncomfortable blow back, but truly scary-awful-revolting facts are facts.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anesthesiologist: Kenneth Smith’s execution by nitrogen gas was far from 'textbook’ C C 5 151 Feb 1, 2024 04:05 AM
Last Post: Kornee
  Article Canada mulling ‘game plan’ if U.S. takes far-right, authoritarian shift C C 0 65 Aug 18, 2023 07:17 AM
Last Post: C C
  Article The cancel-culture troll (far-left wingnut) with a Neo-Nazi past (far-right wingnut) C C 0 78 Jul 8, 2023 05:24 PM
  Only 6% of adults get news from conservative social media networks C C 0 93 Oct 8, 2022 03:49 AM
  Decoupling from China on clean tech comes with far more risks than reward (study) C C 0 67 Sep 16, 2022 03:39 PM
  Rich people + People are less outraged by gender discrimination caused by algorithms C C 0 77 Jun 28, 2022 07:06 PM
  Get paid to be a social media propagandist for the Chinese government (Beijing Betty) C C 0 71 Mar 31, 2022 07:48 AM
  GETTR: New free speech "hellhole" may or may not be Trump's social media platform C C 1 113 Jul 2, 2021 04:58 AM
  With COVID-19 surging, Trump wants science to move far faster. It can’t. C C 16 716 Mar 24, 2020 06:26 AM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Requiring sci job candidates to show track records of aiding ideology-based diversity C C 3 343 Feb 11, 2020 09:23 PM
Last Post: Leigha