Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How shops use psychology to influence your buying decisions

C C Offline
https://theconversation.com/how-shops-us...ons-180355

INTRO: You might think that you only buy what you need, when you need it. But whether you are shopping for food, clothes or gadgets, the retailers are using the power of psychological persuasion to influence your decisions – and help you part with your cash.

If you think back, I’ll bet there’s a good chance that you can remember walking into a grocery store only to find the layout of the shop has been changed. Perhaps the toilet paper was no longer where you expected it to be, or you struggled to find the tomato ketchup.

Why do shops like to move everything around? Well, it’s actually a simple answer. Changing the location of items in a store means that we, the customers, are exposed to different items as we wander around searching for the things we need or want. This ploy can often significantly increase unplanned spending, as we add additional items to our baskets – often on impulse – while spending more time in the shop.

In fact, studies suggest that as much as 50% of all groceries are sold because of impulsiveness – and over 87% of shoppers make impulse buys.

While it is complicated and affected by many factors, such as a need for arousal and lack of self-control, it is known that external shopping cues – “buy one get one free” offers, discounts and in-store promotional displays, for example – play a key role.

An appealing offer can lead to a rush of temporary delight, and this makes it harder to make a rational buying decision. We’re overcome by the perceived value of the “saving” if we buy the item in the here and now – so we ignore other considerations such as whether we really need it. The need for instant gratification can be hard to ignore.

Bundling is another technique that retailers use to trigger impulse buying. [...] While these strategies can help to swell the profits of retailers, they can also contribute to problems for their customers... (MORE - details)
Leigha Offline
''Buy one get one free'' is absolutely the best marketing tool out there, in my opinion. I like trying new brands and that offers a less expensive way to give them a go. It's not stealthy on the part of the grocery store, either...you will save money if you buy two, as opposed to ''the sale ends today'' kinds of gimmicks which are as irritating as nails on a chalk board. Dodgy

Online shopping, however...that's an entirely different playing field, and it's more than a little eerie that various products being advertised end up in my email, after purchasing something from one of their competitors.
Magical Realist Offline
I once had to defend my decision to the cashier to purchase one bottle of gatorade as opposed to two which were on special. I said I could only drink one, and she said I can drink the other on another day. If I recall correctly she won. I went and got another bottle. She deserves a better job. Maybe something in sales.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
i decide what i want to buy before i go in and never use a trolley or basket(sometimes i use a shopping bag when i need to re stock on a specific item) so i always have to carry what i buy to the car
this limits my options to delay impulse buying to a different day.
my mom is a bit of an impulse buyer when she sees things on special
she likes to have lots of food on standby
she was raised post blitz UK so having food was basic security
she struggles to not hoard food

today i will use a bag because i need to buy about 10 tins
Leigha Offline
(Jun 6, 2022 11:34 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: I once had to defend my decision to the cashier to purchase one bottle of gatorade as opposed to two which were on special. I said I could only drink one, and she said I can drink the other on another day. If I recall correctly she won. I went and got another bottle. She deserves a better job. Maybe something in sales.

Lol!! That’s funny. “In defense of Gatorade!”
Big Grin

(Jun 6, 2022 11:49 PM)RainbowUnicorn Wrote: i decide what i want to buy before i go in and never use a trolley or basket(sometimes i use a shopping bag when i need to re stock on a specific item) so i always have to carry what i buy to the car
this limits my options to delay impulse buying to a different day.
my mom is a bit of an impulse buyer when she sees things on special
she likes to have lots of food on standby
she was raised post blitz UK so having food was basic security
she struggles to not hoard food

today i will use a bag because i need to buy about 10 tins

Is a “trolley” what we would call here in the West a “cart?” I’m going to start using “trolley” and throw everyone off. Lol I hope it catches on.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Jun 6, 2022 11:53 PM)Leigha Wrote: Is a “trolley” what we would call here in the West a “cart?” I’m going to start using “trolley” and throw everyone off. Lol I hope it catches on.

yes Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scotland to ban comedy? (psychology of abusive material) C C 3 46 11 hours ago
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Article The fascinating psychology behind alien abduction reports C C 0 66 Jul 26, 2023 10:07 PM
Last Post: C C
  Article What is your brain’s role in creating space and time? (physics & psychology) C C 5 136 Jul 13, 2023 12:22 AM
Last Post: confused2
  Brain lives 15 seconds 'in past' + People are fast & accurate at high-value decisions C C 3 112 Feb 4, 2022 04:08 AM
Last Post: Syne
  3 reasons people with power are more likely to make bad decisions C C 1 109 Oct 2, 2021 06:05 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Awareness without a sense of self + Psychology perceived as a “feminine” discipline C C 0 83 Jul 21, 2021 10:02 PM
  Psychology research shows ‘water cooler talk’ can have big benefits C C 0 201 Dec 3, 2020 12:53 AM
  The Psychology of Online Comments Leigha 6 451 Feb 9, 2020 04:14 AM
Last Post: Leigha
  Paper contends high aims of evolutionary psychology (probably) aren't possible C C 1 175 Jan 17, 2020 12:02 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Psychology prof the new Hitler? What’s So Dangerous About Jordan Peterson? C C 21 2,716 Sep 14, 2019 04:46 PM
Last Post: Secular Sanity