Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Anti-Semitism role in Russia-Ukraine conflict + Why church group didn't flee Ukraine

C C Offline
The enigmatic role of anti-Semitism in the Russia-Ukraine conflict
https://religiondispatches.org/the-enigm...-conflict/

EXCERPTS: As noted recently in the New York Times and elsewhere, the Jews of Ukraine have plenty of reason for concern. History has not been kind to the Jewish communities of Eastern Europe: from pogroms to the Holocaust, the memory of historical trauma is very much alive. But as Russia commences a war in Ukraine, history isn’t the only reason for Ukraine’s Jewish community to be afraid.

A not-so-latent anti-Semitism lies at the heart of Putin’s propaganda machine, and appeals to anti-Semitic sentiments have been a central theme in the kultur politik advanced by both Russia and the Russian Orthodox Church in the Putin era. For example, whatever sympathy Russia does get from the West relies in no small part on shared anti-Semitism and a perception that Russia (and frequently Russian Orthodoxy) are essentially anti-Jewish.

This strategy has been on full display with respect to Ukraine. To be clear, there is a certain irony to this, since Putin’s government and Kirill’s patriarchate have arguably been some of the least openly anti-Semitic in Russian history (notably a very low bar), a fact underscored by the support Putin enjoys among Russian Jews.

That being said, there is one particular Jewish person that Putin and his regime clearly hate: Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. And there’s apparently no concern about allowing anti-Semitic [...] Dmitry Medvedev published a shocking, expletive-filled attack on Ukraine and its president. [...] Medvedev referred to Zelenskyy as “a man with certain ethnic roots” and suggested that Zelenskyy has concealed his Jewish identity to serve the interests of Ukrainian nationalists....

But the threat isn’t just directed at Zelenskyy. This week US officials sent a letter to the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights revealing that, according to credible US intelligence, Russian forces in the disputed regions intended to target Russian and Belorussian dissidents living in Ukraine, including religious and ethnic minorities, journalists, and LGBT activists... (MORE - missing details)

Colleyville, Texas, is among dozens of U.S. cities blanketed with antisemitic flyers
https://www.npr.org/2022/02/23/108256863...ille-texas

INTRO: Authorities are investigating the distribution of antisemitic and racist flyers in Colleyville, Texas, where a gunman took worshippers hostage at a synagogue last month. Colleyville is one of dozens of cities across the U.S. that have reported similar distribution of flyers in recent weeks.

"The Colleyville Police Department is aware of anti-Semitic and white separatist materials distributed in clear sandwich bags to driveways around the city overnight," the department announced on Sunday. "We have been in contact with the FBI and are investigating [it] as a Hate Crime."

[...] Police noted that Colleyville isn't the only city — in or beyond Texas — where the antisemitic flyers are showing up. Similar materials were also found on driveways in nearby Garland, and residents in two Houston neighborhoods woke up to racist and antisemitic flyers the previous weekend.

Similar materials were distributed recently in San Francisco, Miami and Denver, police added. But the scope of the distribution actually appears to have been much broader, according to the Anti-Defamation League (ADL)... (MORE - details)

To stay and serve: Why we didn’t flee Ukraine
https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/artic...d-ukraine/

EXCERPTS: My wife and I have decided to remain in our city near Kyiv. We want to serve the people here along with Irpin Bible Church where I joined the pastoral team in 2016. In anticipation of coming disaster, we’ve bought a supply of food, medicine, and fuel so that, if necessary, we’ll be able to help those in need rather than burden them.

Ours is a family of six. We’re raising four daughters. What I worry about the most is my 16-year-old who travels to college every day for an hour and a half, one way, by public transportation. The media warns that if Russia invades, mobile communications will be lost, and public transit will likely collapse. Thankfully, her classes have now gone online.

[...] How should the church respond when there is a growing threat of war? When there is constant fear in society? I’m convinced that if the church is not relevant at a time of crisis, then it is not relevant in a time of peace.

As a country, we went through this already in 2014. In those days, many churches actively supported those who rebelled against the corrupt and authoritarian regime of Viktor Yanukovych. There was a prayer tent in Independence Square. Christians distributed warm meals and hot tea. Churches opened their doors as a shelter for protesters persecuted by security forces.

Meanwhile, there were churches that openly supported the dictator’s regime and criticized the protesters. Other churches tried to ignore the elephant in the room. They kept silent about the problem and lived as if nothing was happening.

In the end, churches that distanced themselves from social issues and those that supported the corrupt rulers have suffered reputational losses among the population of Ukraine. Conversely, churches that have been with people during testing times have received the highest trust from society.

[...] And while the church may not fight like the nation, we still believe we have a role to play in this struggle. We will shelter the weak, serve the suffering, and mend the broken. And as we do, we offer the unshakable hope of Christ and his gospel... (MORE - missing details)
Syne Offline
(Feb 25, 2022 10:37 PM)C C Wrote: A not-so-latent anti-Semitism lies at the heart of Putin’s propaganda machine, and appeals to anti-Semitic sentiments have been a central theme in the kultur politik advanced by both Russia and the Russian Orthodox Church in the Putin era. For example, whatever sympathy Russia does get from the West relies in no small part on shared anti-Semitism and a perception that Russia (and frequently Russian Orthodoxy) are essentially anti-Jewish.

I wonder if that means our new, antisemitic member also sides with Russia.
Kornee Offline
(Feb 26, 2022 01:10 AM)Syne Wrote:
(Feb 25, 2022 10:37 PM)C C Wrote: A not-so-latent anti-Semitism lies at the heart of Putin’s propaganda machine, and appeals to anti-Semitic sentiments have been a central theme in the kultur politik advanced by both Russia and the Russian Orthodox Church in the Putin era. For example, whatever sympathy Russia does get from the West relies in no small part on shared anti-Semitism and a perception that Russia (and frequently Russian Orthodoxy) are essentially anti-Jewish.

I wonder if that means our new, antisemitic member also sides with Russia.
Gee, I wonder who that mystery member could be? Being an unthinking sponge that just laps up PC approved propaganda is imo not the sensible or morally sound thing to do. But down to business. Clearly my presence and extremely unpopular political/ideological worldview has inspired a counterattack. Well then, consider chewing on the below brief, bare-bones counter-counterattack:

One doesn't even need to read the following - as the saying goes "a picture is worth a thousand words". But reading does help:
https://www.timesofisrael.com/putins-rab...ot-jewish/
A somewhat more in-your-face exploder of the 'antisemitic Putin' BS regurgitated here as 'fact':
https://www.deathofcommunism.com/putin-the-jew/
It doesn't ultimately pay to be a naive dupe.

Of course one can dig up articles where Orthodox priests rather than Chabad Lubovich schemers are shown gathered at a round table conference with Putin.
In truth I think Putin cleverly plays friend to all but quite rightly has his own, nationalist first, globalists piss off, agenda.
Syne Offline
No mystery, I just couldn't be bothered to remember your name. Believe me, everyone knew exactly who I was talking about, as your continued posting of antisemitic garbage demonstrates. And since you whined about ad hominems, let's not ignore your own hypocritical use of them. "unthinking sponge" is an ad hominem. You see, I don't generally care if you use them, but once you've whined about them, you're hypocritically betraying your own claimed standard to use them yourself.

But you can't really remain a bigot and not use ad hominems, as that's the only way you can continue to disparage a whole group of people.

And what's a picture of Putin and a rabbi suppose to tell us. That he "has Jewish friends?" 9_9
Kornee Offline
(Feb 26, 2022 04:35 AM)Syne Wrote: No mystery, I just couldn't be bothered to remember your name. Believe me, everyone knew exactly who I was talking about, as your continued posting of antisemitic garbage demonstrates. And since you whined about ad hominems, let's not ignore your own hypocritical use of them. "unthinking sponge" is an ad hominem. You see, I don't generally care if you use them, but once you've whined about them, you're hypocritically betraying your own claimed standard to use them yourself.

But you can't really remain a bigot and not use ad hominems, as that's the only way you can continue to disparage a whole group of people.

And what's a picture of Putin and a rabbi suppose to tell us. That he "has Jewish friends?" 9_9

There is nothing close to equality re 'ad hom vs ad hom'. You just spit them out as reflex reaction. As substitute for rational debate. Never have you attempted to try and counter the substance of relevant quality articles I have linked to. Just spray invectives. Pathetic. And your question above betrays that you are again true to form and haven't bothered to read the contents.
Syne Offline
(Feb 26, 2022 04:52 AM)Kornee Wrote: There is nothing close to equality re 'ad hom vs ad hom'. You just spit them out as reflex reaction. As substitute for rational debate. Never have you attempted to try and counter the substance of relevant quality articles I have linked to. Just spray invectives. Pathetic. And your question above betrays that you are again true to form and haven't bothered to read the contents.
An ad hominem is an ad hominem. No idea where you come up with your imagined hierarchy of ad hominems. Mine are in no way meant to counter any argument or article of yours. They're just my reaction to a piece of shit. I have zero interest in engaging with the antisemitic crap you post. For one, I'd have to waste my time reading such hateful garbage. Second, you seem to post this shit as an appeal to authority (a fallacy, just like ad hominem), rather than make any substantial arguments yourself. This gives the impression that you're just the typical self-radicalized dolt.

Your hatred is what's pathetic. Why on earth would any well-adjusted person want to invite that crap into their life?
Kornee Offline
(Feb 26, 2022 08:34 PM)Syne Wrote:
(Feb 26, 2022 04:52 AM)Kornee Wrote: There is nothing close to equality re 'ad hom vs ad hom'. You just spit them out as reflex reaction. As substitute for rational debate. Never have you attempted to try and counter the substance of relevant quality articles I have linked to. Just spray invectives. Pathetic. And your question above betrays that you are again true to form and haven't bothered to read the contents.
An ad hominem is an ad hominem. No idea where you come up with your imagined hierarchy of ad hominems. Mine are in no way meant to counter any argument or article of yours. They're just my reaction to a piece of shit. I have zero interest in engaging with the antisemitic crap you post. For one, I'd have to waste my time reading such hateful garbage. Second, you seem to post this shit as an appeal to authority (a fallacy, just like ad hominem), rather than make any substantial arguments yourself. This gives the impression that you're just the typical self-radicalized dolt.

Your hatred is what's pathetic. Why on earth would any well-adjusted person want to invite that crap into their life?

As per my earlier post, the mindless, reflex action hatred is all yours. The height of folly is to ridicule, mischaracterize, and dismiss an opposing pov without ever acquainting oneself with the real arguments underpinning it!
Your willful ignorance may be bliss for you, but it is stupid and dangerous. Unfortunately, all too many have succumbed to the prevailing, generations old Marxist brainwashing that has come to characterize 'Western' education and culture.
https://originalrebel.net/2021/04/29/yur...o-america/
Syne Offline
Until you actually manage to make an argument of your own, rather than citing others in an appeal to authority, you're just a radicalized parrot. And even your latest link is a red herring that has nothing to do with your antisemitism. Obviously a lot of US education has been used for propaganda, especially in leftist cities and states. Again, you're hypocritically trying to use that as an ad hominem. Didn't you say ad hominems were bad? Oh right, they're only bad when used against you...not when you use them.

You may be young enough to have risked falling prey to leftist education, but I was taught that American is a great country, that has overcome the blemishes of its past. You morally equating the US to Russia would indicate that you have been more influenced by the anti-American sentiment of the left...which would explain your antisemitism as well.
Kornee Offline
(Feb 27, 2022 05:55 AM)Syne Wrote: Until you actually manage to make an argument of your own, rather than citing others in an appeal to authority, you're just a radicalized parrot. And even your latest link is a red herring that has nothing to do with your antisemitism. Obviously a lot of US education has been used for propaganda, especially in leftist cities and states. Again, you're hypocritically trying to use that as an ad hominem. Didn't you say ad hominems were bad? Oh right, they're only bad when used against you...not when you use them.

You may be young enough to have risked falling prey to leftist education, but I was taught that American is a great country, that has overcome the blemishes of its past. You morally equating the US to Russia would indicate that you have been more influenced by the anti-American sentiment of the left...which would explain your antisemitism as well.

Ha ha ha ha. Never apply for a job as profiler. But since you like to offer ill considered 'profiles', I've got a *tentative* return one. Noting your strong anti-abortion stance elsewhere here (which pits YOU against most other forum members), plus your philosemitiism/love-of-Israel, your 'profile' fits nicely with a Southern Baptist style 'Christian Zionist'. If only those idiots knew how much they are despised but cynically exploited by 'the people of the book'.

The particular irony being your blind spot to the big pushers for abortion being the of course pro-Israel Jewish lobby.
Syne Offline
Look in the mirror, as you were the first to assume my education. I don't love Israel, nor the majority of secular Jews (who are leftists). I only recognize that Israel is the only democratic country in the Middle East, making them the only natural ally in the region. I will also call you a bigot if you denigrate any other entire group defined by an immutable trait, be it race, ethnicity, or anything else. You seem to have tunnel vision on Jews, which is natural for a bigot. I'm not a Christian. I'm a syncretic panentheist. But I do respect orthodox Jews for their devotion to the strictures of their faith. The Jewish lobby has nothing to do with the faith.

So like so many leftists, you've only projected your own "profiling" failure. And you still managed to avoid justifying why you morally equate the US and Russia.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article (UK) Judophobia versus anti-Semitism C C 4 172 Mar 4, 2024 10:18 PM
Last Post: confused2
  Were spiritual rites in the Devil’s Church in Koli based on acoustic resonance? C C 0 154 Nov 27, 2023 06:47 PM
Last Post: C C
  Article Political signaling? Pope ignores gay Catholics practicing chastity (church doctrine) C C 0 62 Oct 9, 2023 10:32 PM
  Article Who started calling school burial sites mass graves? (church vandalization in Canada) C C 1 89 Sep 6, 2023 09:36 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Article Anti-modern anti-Semitism C C 1 74 Jun 18, 2023 09:16 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Comparing Wokeness to Christianity is an insult to the Church C C 10 239 Mar 5, 2023 12:08 AM
  Christians and anti-Semitism + UM tolerance of conservatives is impossible C C 0 69 Jan 19, 2023 09:27 PM
  The powerful role of magical beliefs in our everyday thinking C C 1 97 Jul 22, 2022 09:06 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Why Twitter won’t ban its strongest anti-Semite + Churches, pro-life centers attacked C C 1 106 Jun 11, 2022 09:30 AM
Last Post: Kornee
  Why some white evangelicals are cheerleading Russia C C 3 117 Mar 11, 2022 07:59 AM
Last Post: Kornee