Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Adding a new attendee to an Outlook invitation (after it has been sent)

Question  Leigha Offline
So, there may be times when I send an Outlook invite to a client, and want to add someone internally from my team, without it resending to the original recipient(s). There are a few ways to do this, but none seem to be working.  Dodgy

This is one method, that I've attempted yet the original recipients have received the email, twice:

https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/o...erson.html

I've been sharing with the recipients that you 'may' receive this a second time, no need to accept it again. Which has been working fine, but still. There has to be a way to send an already sent invitation, where attendees have accepted, to just one new attendee, without everyone who has already accepted, seeing it for the second time.

TIA for any insight!
C C Offline
Well, just for the sake of an otiose response or the equivalent of those flashing lights on the huge computer props of 1960s sci-fi shows...

There's an alternative solution (or is it merely for some obstacle encountered by a few?) introduced in the comments section. That I presume either doesn't address your particular concern or which you have already tried.

DND: A work around that has been working for me is to simply forward the meeting invite to the person you want to add to the list. If you go to calendar view, right click on the meeting you want the person to attend, and click "Forward," you can then put just that individual person's name down and hit send. This does not re-send out the invite to everyone on the meeting, but it does get that person the meeting invite and it adds that person's name to your invitee list under "To...". Hope that helps!

matstery@gmail.com: THE WORKAROUND POSTED BY "DND" WORKS. Just "Forward" the invitation to the person you want to add. It will be sent only to that person and nobody else. You will also notice that this new person has now been added automatically to your Attendee list.
Leigha Offline
Unfortunately, ''forwarding'' hasn't fixed the problem, either. When you go to your ''send'' box, all of the original recipient names appear again under ''to.'' But, I didn't necessarily assume at first that it meant everyone in fact received the same invitation twice, until a client asked me ''did you modify the calendar invite? I received it twice.'' Gah!
Syne Offline
When you forward an email in Outlook, it asks for a recipient. The recipients of the original email don't get it again. That just shows who's already received the email. You can delete that info before fowarding the email, if you want.
stryder Offline
Kind of reminds me of an accident that happened some years ago with a University mailing list. They were doing some project that involved DNA research and asked for volunteers, initially they were just requesting interest prior to actually making arrangements. So a bunch of people signed up, and when it came time to have the finer details hashed out, they sent out a message. The problem was the mailinglist software they were using didn't just send to the whole list, it actually duplicated responses to everyone that responded to the email. At first it was a few people pointing out that the email was being sent to everyone, but after a few hours it was hundreds of messages flooding email accounts and causing peoples phones to ding constantly. Eventually after about 12hrs, someone realised the error... I'm not sure if their project ever went ahead after their "clerical" error.

really such things should be tested before going live with dummy accounts, that being said I'm always messing with things in a live environment so it's a bit hypocritical.
Leigha Offline
(Feb 17, 2022 05:13 AM)Syne Wrote: When you forward an email in Outlook, it asks for a recipient. The recipients of the original email don't get it again. That just shows who's already received the email. You can delete that info before fowarding the email, if you want.

If it's an invitation, they are ending up receiving it a second time, even forwarding to just one person. I've had this happen in the reverse, where I'm one of the recipients, and the organizer forwarded the invite to others, and I received it a second time. It's already on my calendar because I accepted the initial invite, but someone outside of my firm may get confused, is always my concern. ''Wait, I've already accepted this, why am I getting it a second time?'' It doesn't happen often, but sometimes there is confusion.

Cliff notes - forwarding to an additional attendee, sends the invite back out to the original recipients. Confused

(Feb 17, 2022 02:45 PM)stryder Wrote: Kind of reminds me of an accident that happened some years ago with a University mailing list.  They were doing some project that involved DNA research and asked for volunteers, initially they were just requesting interest prior to actually making arrangements.  So a bunch of people signed up, and when it came time to have the finer details hashed out, they sent out a message.  The problem was the mailinglist software they were using didn't just send to the whole list, it actually duplicated responses to everyone that responded to the email.  At first it was a few people pointing out that the email was being sent to everyone, but after a few hours it was hundreds of messages flooding email accounts and causing peoples phones to ding constantly.  Eventually after about 12hrs, someone realised the error... I'm not sure if their project ever went ahead after their "clerical" error.

really such things should be tested before going live with dummy accounts, that being said I'm always messing with things in a live environment so it's a bit hypocritical.

Ugh, my heart goes out to whomever had to deal with that administrative mess.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can You Delete Text Messages after You’ve Sent Them? Secular Sanity 12 1,938 Nov 11, 2018 08:56 PM
Last Post: C C