Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Teaching tolerance in schools cannot avoid controversy (educational & UK communities)

C C Offline
RELATED (scivillage): Defending liberal neutrality
- - - - - -

At public schools, should students be taught 'tolerance as non-disapproval' or 'tolerance as forbearance'?
https://psyche.co/ideas/teaching-toleran...ontroversy

EXCERPTS: . . . Underlying the objections raised by the Birmingham protestors is a sense that teaching values ought to fall outside the scope of state education, at least where these values are controversial. Can philosophical meat be put on the bones of this thought? The American philosopher John Rawls asked how religiously diverse societies might accommodate the disagreements that exist over values. Out of his work comes the idea that state policy ought to be neutral, in the sense that the reasons for a policy should not be the subject of disagreement among reasonable citizens...

[...] Applying this to education, state schools ought to avoid teaching beliefs and values that are controversial – they should not teach children that Jesus is the Son of God, or that they ought to be vegan. These thoughts seem to partially justify Fatima Shah’s comment. Schools can teach maths because mathematical truths are not subject to dispute. But since gay relationships are regarded as sinful by some citizens – including those belonging to the most significant world religions – then, according to this argument, state schools should keep a distance from this topic.

Does the Rawlsian idea really imply this? Perhaps introducing students to issues regarded by some as controversial is a necessary step towards respect and tolerance – something that people from many different worldviews agree is important. [...] To encourage respect and tolerance in the next generation of citizens, children should be taught that all people, including those who act in ways you object to, ought to be respected, and are the rightful recipients of equal moral, political and legal rights. ... This sort of motivation for teaching about LGBT is consistent with how Andrew Moffat, the British teacher behind ‘No Outsiders’...

One problem with this sort of defence is that context is everything. It is hard, in practice, to read And Tango Makes Three without slipping over the Rawlsian line. Any contextual discussion that even implicitly paints Tango’s family as ‘completely OK’ or ‘as good as other families’ steps away from the neutrality that some think state schools ought to adopt. In reality, the contextual discussion surrounding the book probably implied that we ought not to disapprove of LGBT relationships in the first place, rather than that we should show tolerance if we do hold disapproving attitudes.

Another practical problem with teaching tolerance of LGBT relationships is that tolerance is a very tricky concept to understand – even for adults. Children are usually taught that, if something is wrong, they ought to avoid that thing, or take action to stop it. [...] The idea that sometimes they should not only stand back and allow some behaviour, but should also behave in a welcoming manner towards the person responsible for that behaviour, is hard to understand. After all, if you believe something is morally wrong, why wouldn’t you intervene to stop it?

The usual justifications that crop up to answer this question – pragmatic justifications about social cohesion, epistemological justifications based on the difficulty of answering certain types of questions, or (most powerful, in my view) moral justifications based on the need to respect people’s autonomously arrived-at decisions – need to be carefully explained and discussed if we are to avoid children moving, forgivably, from tolerance to relativism (the view that there is no right or wrong when it comes to moral questions).

These complexities suggest that, in practice, state schools might need to depart from neutrality, and instead engage their students in questions of right and wrong...

[...] This we might call tolerance as non-disapproval. Here the tolerant person is a non-judgmental person, disinclined to disapprove of ways of life that differ from their own, and even appreciating their value and worth. This understanding of tolerance as more of a positive, ‘open-minded’ attitude often features in ordinary discourse, as well as in some educational resources and policy documents.

Whereas tolerance as forbearance implies that a racist who refrains from acting on their racist beliefs is being tolerant, tolerance as non-disapproval implies that the tolerant person wouldn’t hold racist beliefs in the first place.

Thinking about this back in our context of state school teaching, there seem to be several examples where teaching tolerance as non-disapproval is preferable to focusing on tolerance as forbearance...

Such teaching would depart from the Rawlsian commitment to neutrality discussed earlier. However, that doesn’t mean it’s at the same level as state schools preaching particular religious doctrines...

What, you might wonder, about the rights, wellbeing and equality of those conservative religious individuals who object to children being discouraged from negative attitudes towards LGBT? Whatever decision is made for such a case, one group will end up feeling disrespected – this is unavoidable.

Resolving the disputes that inevitably arise in pluralist societies is never easy, and is rarely done to all parties’ satisfaction. However, there are some things that can be said to lessen (although far from eliminate) the blow... (MORE - missing details)
- - - - - -

Inner Cynic: Not sure I get it. The distinction between two brands of "tolerance" and acting on such simply seems to return us to the situation as it currently exists, albeit arguably minus being framed by this particular description of it.
Syne Offline
"Tolerance as non-disapproval" has always been a made up definition of the left. What they really mean is "acceptance," as that's what "non-disapproval" means. But the left likes to play word games to keep people from objecting to their bullshit. Everyone agrees that we should tolerate differences, but few agree that we should genuinely accept and approve of each other, as that's contradictory in the real world of differing views. The left really just wants us all to accept and approve of their views...which is just fascism, not any kind of tolerance.

Neutrality by government is essential for freedom, as the only other option is forcing things on others through the threat of force. Yes, real tolerance is the racist not taking illegal actions. It's also the person refraining from "punching a Nazi," also illegal. So how hard is it to just teach the law, without agendas? The law doesn't allow people of different religions to attack or harm each other. It doesn't allow people to harm the LGBQ. But that's the point. The left doesn't care about anything but pushing it's agenda.
confused2 Offline
If everybody was polite to everybody the world would (probably) be a much nicer place. Can you (or should you) teach politeness? A default mode of interaction that everyone uses unless they are deliberately being 'rude'.
When I was at school you had to stand when the teacher arrived, say "Good morning/afternoon sir/miss" and wait to be told to sit. Miss being short for mistress, incidentally. Does that still happen?
Secular Sanity Offline
(Feb 7, 2022 10:57 PM)confused2 Wrote: If everybody was polite to everybody the world would (probably) be a much nicer place. Can you (or should you) teach  politeness? A default mode of interaction that everyone uses unless they are deliberately being 'rude'.
When I was at school you had to stand when the teacher arrived, say "Good morning/afternoon sir/miss" and wait to be told to sit. Miss being short for mistress, incidentally. Does that still happen?

Not that I’m aware of, but it would be nice if social skills were taught in schools. As far as adults are concerned though, we both know that there are quite a few people (myself included) that occasionally like to swing their claymore.

Syne posted a video a while back, of a guru, who said that tolerance means that we have decided that there is no possibility of any bridge. I agree with him. If criticism is banished, we have no hope for improvement.

As indicated in the paper below, a commonsense notion of politeness is when a behavior (whether verbal or nonverbal) does not offend other people, which is quite difficult to manage in this day and age, and with politeness differing according to era, class, culture, gender, etc. 

Obviously, conflict avoidance is not my cup of tea, but a little sweetener is always preferred. The lack of etiquette and good manners does make one feel like the world is coming apart at the seams, but the thing that really worries me is the lack of leadership.

A critique of politeness theories pdf
confused2 Offline
I have to confess my starting point was two girls travelling on the top of a London bus. They may have hugged or kissed at some point (doesn't matter). A group of five youths started to harass them.  I don't think they were seriously injured but by the end of the confrontation in a newsworthy way they needed hospital attention for maybe a black eye and cut lip. I can see Syne's point about tolerance being an insult but 5 [edit 4] guys against two girls travelling home on a bus - I don't have words for it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48555889
Syne Offline
Um, assault is already illegal. The law is what maintains the peace, not politeness.
confused2 Offline
(Feb 8, 2022 03:14 AM)Syne Wrote: Um, assault is already illegal. The law is what maintains the peace, not politeness.
Drinking and breaking the law (often at the same time) are national sports in the UK. Another national sport (certainly in my day) is for teams of genetically challenged young men to go round kicking the shit out of LGBT+ and anyone without a white skin. I doubt if urban survival skills have changed much in the last 5,000 years. Domestic violence seems to be as popular as ever so the scum in our gene pool isn't likely to die out in the near future.
The OP is about UK schools attempting to modify children's behaviour patterns and some parents (naturally) wanting their children to be going out queer bashing when they are older as part of the natural order. Obviously none of these parents will have a gay child - that only happens in other families.

Edit.. And our police are overburdened and inefficient and maybe far worse things than that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Will future colonists on Moon & Mars develop new accents? ("The Expanse" communities) C C 0 39 Feb 5, 2024 11:02 PM
Last Post: C C
  Why are cities such left-wing communities? C C 0 82 Oct 7, 2023 04:40 PM
  Article Woman talks about her childhood in 1800s Los Angelas (old-timey communities) C C 0 72 Jul 19, 2023 12:38 PM
  Indigenous, last of his tribe 'man of the hole' dies in Brazil (extinct communities) C C 1 107 Aug 30, 2022 08:07 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Sri Lanka is in crisis — and so are its scientists (doomed communities) C C 0 71 Jul 18, 2022 06:41 PM
  Haunting images of 'zombie' shark & decaying aquarium animals (abandoned communities) C C 1 66 Mar 3, 2022 05:11 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Military towns are the most racially integrated places in U.S. (military communities) C C 1 98 Feb 10, 2022 03:28 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Indigenous communities are the best guardians of Latin America’s forests C C 1 112 Oct 1, 2021 03:51 PM
  "End is nigh" community blooms after IPCC + Bird communities menaced by urbanization C C 0 64 Aug 25, 2021 03:09 PM
  Magnet male contraception + Plastic, the Trojan Horse (avert & marine communities) C C 0 88 Jul 28, 2021 08:30 PM