Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pandemic "nowhere near over" -- with new variants likely to emerge, says WHO director

C C Offline
Pandemic "nowhere near over" -- with new variants likely to emerge, says WHO director
https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-me...-director/

INTRO: It was recently reported that all COVID-19 restrictions in the UK could be lifted by March, but does the science support the rollback of precautions globally? Not according to World Health Organization Director Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who recently gave a sage warning that we are not out of the woods quite yet.

"This pandemic is nowhere near over and with the incredible growth of Omicron globally, new variants are likely to emerge," Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a press conference, reports Insider. "The virus is circulating far too intensely with many still vulnerable. For many countries, the next few weeks remain really critical for health workers and health systems."

Moves such as that being touted in the UK is the next logical step when COVID-19 becomes endemic, but it’s highly questionable that COVID-19 fits the bill just yet. A pandemic describes disease spread that is global and exponential (like all those delicious graphs).

An endemic disease is one that is widespread but stable and predictable in its spread. Think of the common cold which has maintained its chokehold on the globe for hundreds of years... (MORE - details)
- - - - - -

WHO chief warns that the pandemic is ‘far from over’
https://www.zmescience.com/science/who-c...g-8436373/

EXCERPT: . . . Ghebreyesus’ statement [...] comes against a backdrop of countries reporting record numbers of new infections, especially in the 24 hours leading to the statement. This dramatic increase in cases is largely fueled by the more infectious Omicron strain and is already pushing governments to take more action against the virus. “The pandemic will end when the world chooses to end it. It is in our hands, we have all the tools we need: effective public health tools and effective medical tools,” he added.

Several countries around the world are looking at staggering rates of daily new coronavirus cases. In the United States, the number of new cases has once again reached 1 million per day on January 18, after slightly dipping below that over the last week.

Europe is not faring very well either. Germany has blazed past 100,000 new cases per day, and reports from France show that it has passed 460,000. In the rest of the world, Brazil has shattered its previous record of new cases, reaching over 135,000 new cases.

The Omicron strain is considered to drive a large percentage of these cases. Due to its infectiousness, the WHO estimates that it will infect half of all Europeans by March. That is an understandably chilling prospect for lawmakers, who fear that high infection rates will translate into a much higher number of people seeking medical help; hospitals are already struggling to handle COVID-19 patients, and a sizable increase in demand could swamp healthcare services on a wide scale.

Governments around the world are already ramping up efforts against the virus by instituting new containment measures and speeding the rollout of vaccine boosters... (MORE - missing details)
Magical Realist Online
Our governor is weighing making our indoor mask mandate "permanent"--as in indefinite. We might as well get used to this new normal in our postpandemic world. New variants loom on the horizon.
Syne Offline
Then your government doesn't defend freedom and you accepting it means you're already whipped.
confused2 Offline
I'm wondering where condoms and the freedom to not wear one fits into Syne's world. Maybe he thinks you shouldn't have sex unless it is to make a baby (I'm guessing that is exactly what he thinks). Maybe you shouldn't get on a bus unless you're prepared to get (or spread) covid. I might not be the only one thinking that looking after yourself, the people you love and even the people you don't love - might be more a 'common sense' issue than a 'freedom' issue.
Magical Realist Online
Quote:Then your government doesn't defend freedom and you accepting it means you're already whipped.

My freedom doesn't include some right to infect myself and others with a disease that can easily be prevented by wearing a mask.
Syne Offline
Response #1. Warning, you only have two more.
(Jan 23, 2022 02:21 AM)confused2 Wrote: I'm wondering where condoms and the freedom to not wear one fits into Syne's world. Maybe he thinks you shouldn't have sex unless it is to make a baby (I'm guessing that is exactly what he thinks). Maybe you shouldn't get on a bus unless you're prepared to get (or spread) covid. I might not be the only one thinking that looking after yourself, the people you love and even the people you don't love - might be more a 'common sense' issue than a 'freedom' issue.

What on Earth gave you that idea? I enjoy sex for its own sake...like most healthy humans. How much do you have to "other" someone to no longer believe they are similar to most humans? Is that what it takes to be willing to give up your basic human rights? Someone convince you that other people are SOOOOO scary that you should give up your personal freedom to allow the government to protect you from them? The unvaxxed and unwashed untouchables on a bus? What a scary world you must live in. Aren't you vaxxed? What, those aren't protecting you like you were promised?

I've never been afraid of COVID, and not afraid of people being within 6 feet of me, masked, vaxxed, or not. I've never even had the flu or a cold. I'm sorry if you have and have developed some irrational fear of it, or are otherwise in a high-risk demographic. If the latter, you should definitely take personal responsibility for your health and isolate yourself from others. We'll miss you, but we'll get over it. We understand that you need to take care of yourself. In that case, it is common sense for you to isolate yourself. It is not common sense for you to be a fascist and demand everyone change their behavior to accommodate your irrational fears.

People who dismiss freedom are people who've never really known freedom. You live in the UK, right? There ya go.

(Jan 23, 2022 02:47 AM)Magical Realist Wrote:
Quote:Then your government doesn't defend freedom and you accepting it means you're already whipped.

My freedom doesn't include some right to infect myself and others with a disease that can easily be prevented by wearing a mask.

Those who knowingly do try to spread disease are already prosecuted under the law. If you had the obligation to avoid all things that could put others at risk, you could not do things like drive a car or prepare food for others. People do have the right to take risks. And you have the right to be a shut-in and isolate yourself from that myriad of hazards. Masks have proven ineffective at preventing infection. That's why they were also doing social distancing and demanding vaccinations.
confused2 Offline
Syne Wrote:You live in the UK, right? There ya go.
Yup. We've got 97.5% with antibodies either through vaccination or infection and we're dropping pretty much all restrictions.
Edit:
Back in November 2021 with the delta variant we had..
"In hospital, Covid-19 has largely become a disease of the unvaccinated. "
If omicron plays out anything like the same we should be OK.
Syne Offline
Response #2. Warning, you only have one more.
(Jan 23, 2022 03:22 AM)confused2 Wrote:
Syne Wrote:You live in the UK, right? There ya go.
Yup. We've got 97.5% with antibodies either through vaccination or infection and we're dropping pretty much all restrictions.
Edit:
Back in November 2021 with the delta variant we had..
"In hospital, Covid-19 has largely become a disease of the unvaccinated. "
If omicron plays out anything like the same we should be OK.

Good for you, buddy! That's awesome!
I live in a free country and state, where I've not been afraid of nor hindered or affected by COVID this whole pandemic. But you be proud of your back in November and finally about to drop all restrictions. That's an amazing accomplishment.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Somehow, This Fish Fathered a Near Clone of Itself C C 0 285 May 29, 2017 06:37 AM
Last Post: C C