Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

What are you reading?

Leigha Offline
I've recently been reading investigative mysteries and have found them to be quite captivating. In my opinion, mysteries are especially helpful if you find yourself in a reading slump because they're more than a storyline, they engage you and keep you guessing. I find myself participating in these types of stories, which makes for a more exciting read.

I'm nearly through with Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell which is about a small town detective just south of Sweden, who tries to unravel who brutally murdered a local farming couple. The writing is brilliant, but a little dry. It also lacks in suspense (to me), but there are a lot of hidden gems inside the storyline that surprise you as you read along. For example, I've learned things about Sweden that I had no idea about when it comes to the Swedish opinions of refugees, and their overall political climate. Despite it being fiction, you wonder if the author is angry about Sweden politics, and found a way to subtly convey his opinions. It's really more than a mystery, it sort of takes you on a mental journey with the main character, through the ups and downs of being a detective, and his personal life that is need of repair.

Just purchased The Starless Sea, by Erin Morgenstern upon the suggestion of a friend; the plot tells a tale about an underground labyrinth that serves as a sanctuary for stories and storytellers. It's located in a place called the Starless Sea. (taken from an online review) I'm not a fan of pirates though, so we'll see how it goes.

What are you currently reading? Do you have any recommendations?
Magical Realist Offline
I ordered "The Quotable Jung" from Amazon and am reading bits and pieces of it as I dive into random pages. It's especially made for people with short attention spans. Smile
Leigha Offline
(Jan 6, 2022 08:28 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: I ordered "The Quotable Jung" from Amazon and am reading bits and pieces of it as I dive into random pages. It's especially made for people with short attention spans. Smile

lol You don't seem to have a short attention span.

''Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.'' - Carl Jung

Sounds like it's one of those books you can keep returning to over and over, learning something new each and every time.
Leigha Offline
The Starless Sea. Hmm. It's very different from what I've normally read, and that's not a bad thing per se. But, not sure what the end game is, or if there is supposed to even be an end game. But, it's a whimsical well-written book, that sort of feels like fantasy detached from reality, but not quite...one chapter completely different from the next. If I had to sum it up, it's a story within stories...a story about stories...and storytellers. Takes suspension of disbelief to an entirely new level, but it's fun... so far...sort of like becoming immersed in another world, enjoying the journey to see where it leads, alongside the main characters.

If you enjoy fantasy, you most certainly will like this book. If you don't, you might want to give it a try, because the writing is captivating in its own unique way.

''Strange, isn't it? To love a book. When the words on the pages become so precious that they feel like part of your own history because they are.'' ~ The Starless Sea
Leigha Offline
I tend to read later at night when I'm most tired, not sure that's such a smart thing. But, I'm finally starting to see the turn of events with ''The Starless Sea.'' It literally is a story, about a story...and the characters of those stories, all intertwining...as they discover others' stories in the whimsical parallel universe of the Starless Sea.

The writing is excellent, and while things didn't make sense for a bit there, the writing keeps you going...pulls you in, keeps you focused, and just like that, it's starting to all come together.

And now, one of the existential questions that is swirling in my mind is...are our lives going to be told as stories by others someday? In this book, the stories are somewhat mundane, the characters not outer worldly or anything, but their lives still tell a story, and maybe that's what life is...one endless story, from mine to yours to friends to family to our neighbors to coworkers, to everyone around the globe. This is a pretty cool book, and I'm enjoying the underlying premise.
Leigha Offline
Finished ''The Starless Sea'' and while it was thoroughly enjoyable, whimsical, beautifully written prose...almost like poetry...I didn't adore it, like some critics. It's a book however, that probably can be read over and over again, leaving you with a different understanding each time. Picking up something new upon every visit. I would recommend it if you like whimsical fantasy stories, that may meander a bit, because the moral is whatever you want it to be.

Also finished, ''The House in the Cerulean Sea,'' by TJ Klune - which is a masterpiece! I didn't have any preconceived notions with this book, but came away with my heart swelling, having fallen in love with each and every character in this book about love, family, and finding one's identity. It touched on some personal things for me, reminding me of my own childhood, without it feeling forced by the author. I even cried in a good way, which I'm not much of a crier with books. Movies, sure...but not books, so this tugs at your heart strings, but not in a Hallmark-channel sappy way. It really is so special, and will be one of those books that my heart will treasure for a lifetime.

Now reading, ''The Shadow of the Wind,'' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - this is a fictional read taking place in Barcelona, year 1945, whereby a young boy visits “the Cemetery of Forgotten Books” and selects a book titled “The Shadow of the Wind.” His father shares with him that all other books by that same author, have been burned. The narrator is the boy, now adult, flashing back to his childhood, and where all of this “mystery” leads - his personal quest to learning the truth about the author and his books. This also came highly recommended to me, and so far, I'm on chapter three, and solidly intrigued. The writing is brilliant...and I'm hopeful that it proves to live up to its hype.

*As an aside, I wouldn’t pick up “The Shadow of the Wind” if you’re trying to get out of a reading slump because it’s a little slow in the beginning, but not uninteresting. The pace is necessary to likely get the reader to the core of the plot, but it’s drenched with details which are beautifully written yet a little overdone, in parts. Just my picky $.02.

So, it's fair to say...I'm out of my reading slump! I had been in one for a while, so it's nice to be reading again.

Edit to add - The Shadow of the Wind is SO good right now. I read a few more chapters last night, and the foundation has been built, and now we're getting into the heart of the story. The writing is exquisite, just a perfect balance of character development, detail and plot flow. I can see why so many have fallen in love with this book. It could be classified as a period piece, because the language is definitely not contemporary - the characters speak to one another in a very dignified way, even when angry. Unlike some contemporary books I've read where the 'f' word is littered all over the place. I'm not a prude, but that's just a lazy way of writing, imo.

Anyway! I don't 'know' you, so don't sue me if you hate my recommendations lol, but out of the three listed...I have a feeling most of you would enjoy ''The Shadow of the Wind''. : )
Leigha Offline
Edit to add - The Shadow of the Wind is SO good right now. I read a few more chapters last night, and the foundation has been built, and now we're getting into the heart of the story. The writing is exquisite, just a perfect balance of character development, detail and plot flow. I can see why so many have fallen in love with this book. It could be classified as a period piece, because the language is definitely not contemporary - the characters speak to one another in a very dignified way, even when angry. Unlike some contemporary books I've read where the 'f' word is littered all over the place. I'm not a prude, but that's just a lazy way of writing, imo.

Anyway! I don't 'know' you, so don't sue me if you hate my recommendations lol, but out of the three listed...I have a feeling most of you would enjoy ''The Shadow of the Wind''. : )
C C Offline
(Feb 28, 2022 03:51 PM)Leigha Wrote: [...] It could be classified as a period piece, because the language is definitely not contemporary - the characters speak to one another in a very dignified way, even when angry. Unlike some contemporary books I've read where the 'f' word is littered all over the place. I'm not a prude, but that's just a lazy way of writing, imo. ...

Yah, I can tolerate "creative license" when it's restrained, but such can become annoying when there's a tsunami of anachronisms. Exceptions, of course, being works that are deliberately tongue-in-cheek to one degree or another -- don't take themselves seriously or bloat highly with scholarly self-importance and critical significance.

And speculative fiction (science fiction, fantasy, etc) is arguably often exempt due to the radical level of whole worlds, futures, and alternative timelines being invented (committed to only their own internal consistency and invented standards). Less so when set in the past or present environment of our specific realm, sans "what-if" possibilities.

In some cases, anachronism can be downright delightful. SF afficionados would sometimes read Jack Vance just for another taste of his ornate style of description and the grandiloquent speech and conversations of pretentious characters -- and their "in-between-the-lines" wit and slyness. Which [uniquely] seemed totally out of place in a space traveling future. (Less so in quasi-fantasy environments like the "Dying Earth" books, "The Dragon Masters" novella, or the "Lyonesse" series.)
Leigha Offline
(Feb 28, 2022 09:47 PM)C C Wrote:
(Feb 28, 2022 03:51 PM)Leigha Wrote: [...] It could be classified as a period piece, because the language is definitely not contemporary - the characters speak to one another in a very dignified way, even when angry. Unlike some contemporary books I've read where the 'f' word is littered all over the place. I'm not a prude, but that's just a lazy way of writing, imo. ...

Yah, I can tolerate "creative license" when it's restrained, but such can become annoying when there's a tsunami of anachronisms. Exceptions, of course, being works that are deliberately tongue-in-cheek to one degree or another -- don't take themselves seriously or bloat highly with scholarly self-importance and critical significance. 

And speculative fiction (science fiction, fantasy, etc) is arguably often exempt due to the radical level of whole worlds, futures, and alternative timelines being invented (committed to only their own internal consistency and invented standards). Less so when set in the past or present environment of our specific realm, sans "what-if" possibilities.

In some cases, anachronism can be downright delightful. SF afficionados would sometimes read Jack Vance just for another taste of his ornate style of description and the grandiloquent speech and conversations of pretentious characters -- and their "in-between-the-lines" wit and slyness. Which [uniquely] seemed totally out of place in a space traveling future. (Less so in quasi-fantasy environments like the "Dying Earth" books, "The Dragon Masters" novella, or the "Lyonesse" series.)

Completely agree! I don't see anything wrong with using such ...''creativity,'' but when it becomes an author's crutch for more meaningful dialogue, the whole thing becomes boring to me.

Not a fan of it used in sci-fi or fantasy...not sure if it was used in "The Starless Sea", it would have felt so out of place, because the author's writing is bordering poetry, it was so pristine and beautiful. If I were reading a book about mobsters however, perhaps it would fit in every other sentence, and not be so annoying. lol Not a fan of those storylines in general, as series, movies, books - just nope. I don't see the appeal over this genre - endless violence, screaming and fighting. *shrug*

You would love ''The Shadow of the Wind,'' CC, I have a sneaking suspicion.
C C Offline
(Mar 1, 2022 11:04 PM)Leigha Wrote: [...] You would love ''The Shadow of the Wind,'' CC, I have a sneaking suspicion.

It does nostalgically reflect the crafted style of that vintage era, especially from a first-person POV, that was often common.

We took our afternoon snack like royalty, wolfing down everything the maid put before us. I had no idea about the protocol for this unfamiliar occasion and was not sure how to behave. Clara, who always seemed to know what I was thinking, suggested that I read from The Shadow of the Wind whenever I liked and that I might as well start at the beginning. And so, trying to sound like one of those pompous voices on Radio Nacional that recited patriotic vignettes after the midday Angelus, I threw myself into revisiting the text of the novel. My voice, rather stiff at first, slowly became more relaxed, and soon I forgot myself and was submerged once more into the narrative, discovering cadences and turns of phrase that flowed like musical motifs, riddles made of timbre and pauses I had not noticed during my first reading. New details, strands of images and fantasy appeared between the lines, and new shapes revealed themselves, like the structure of a building looked at from different angles. I read for about an hour, getting through five chapters, until my throat felt dry and half a dozen clocks chimed throughout the apartment, reminding me that it was getting late. I closed the book and observed that Clara was smiling at me calmly.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Are You Reading? Yazata 13 1,475 Jun 17, 2017 06:42 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist